“Love this place!”

Union Street Public House
Reserve with OpenTable
Union Street Public House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 763 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Old Town's Neighborhood Tap And Grill.
Washington DC
“Love this place!”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Great atmosphere, good food, friendly staff, cold beer at a great bar. Almost heaven. My wife and I come here several times a year, and its my birthday go-to.

Visited October 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Used to be great”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I recently returned to Union Street after not having been in a couple of years. This used to be one of my faovite places to go in Alexandria, not just for drinks, but for oysters and a nice meal. The building itself is wonderful, very clean and unique. The issue I had on this last visit was the service, which left something to be desired. The menu has been pared down quite a bit over the years, but it still looks to have a nice assortment of items. I ordered the lobster/crab bisque, qhich had good flavor, but not a lot of the crab or lobster. It was still well seasoned and overall a good pic I think. As we were eating our soup, the entrees appeared. The person delivering the food just stared at us as we had only received the soup a short while before, wondering why we were not done. We cleared some space at the table and allowed him to drop off the dishes and be on his way. The empyt soup bowls then sat on the table as we ate our entree, the Sunday Ragu. The entree was very good, but somewhat unappetizing with dirty dishes on your table. The waiter stopped by to see how it was going, and left without removing the dirty dishes. I moved the dirty dishes to the edge of the table so they could be more easily removed, but they were not. If this had been a busy evening I could see the problem, but there was only one other table occupied on this night. The wait staff came across as not wanting to be at work and we were made to feel like we were a bother to them. I still like Union Street, I just did not care for the service.

• Visited January 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great Happy Hour”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Union Street Public House is an easy stop to make for a nice Happy Hour. Always enjoy the Bloody Mary bar on Sundays. For the food stay simple on ordering. Nice atmosphere

Visited November 2012
Washington, DC
“Definitely not one of those boring, generic pubs.”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I have been to the Union Street Public House twice now, and was pleased on both occasions. The restaurant/pub is located down by the water in Old Town Alexandria (Virginia), where there are many events that bring in a lot of people. The Union Street Public House is thankfully big enough to accommodate a lot of people - downstairs is the bar and next to that, a closed-off private party section. Upstairs is all restaurant seating. So you can go there late on a Saturday night, for example and, sit upstairs if you wanted to get away from big crowds and loud music. For that, I especially love this place.

But what I really love is the food. Union Street Public House is somewhat on the pricy side - entrees run the course from $10 sandwiches (the smoked chicken and apple sandwich is awesome!) and burgers to $30 steak and seafood dinners. But the food is very good. Even the fish and chips came with great chunks of cod that weren't overcooked. I especially loved the meatball appetizer - minus the blanket of cheese. The gravy was awesome! Also - beer lovers will find several beers from local breweries on the menu (including Alexandria's own Port City), as well as more standard domestic and imported selections.

• Visited December 2012
Arlington, Virginia
“Great Food”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Consistent high quality food and service and all at a reasonable price. Restaurant is located on Union Street in Old Town Alexandria.

Visited July 2012