“Better than TGIFridays, but not worth the money”
Review of La Bergerie Restaurant - CLOSED

Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: Queen and N. Lee
Transit: King Street Metro
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We visited La Bergerie to celebrate a special day. I will not return. The service was not very good. The host did not greet us at once. The waiter delivered the white wine warm and cradled in his arm-pit, chilling it only after I tasted it.

The fish fillet was limp and held heat suggesting it was prepared earlier and micro-waved warm. The menu is fine, and the wine list is good. But the presentation and service are at best indifferent given the price of the meal.

1  Thank George10flr

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We went to have the Thursday night special but changed our minds when we saw the choices on the 3 and 4 course tasting menu, with wine pairings. It was great-the soup of the day was a mushroom soup-delicious-the elk was perfectly prepared-the profiteroles were a perfect ending. The wine pairings were perfectly matched to each course for both of us. It was quiet and a very enjoyable evening.

Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at La Bergerie Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Thank you Beth!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We dined here during Alexandria Rest. Week--had the prix fixe 3-course meal. All three of us had a different entree and all were excellent. The wine selections were pricey but we had a $40 bottle of Rhone that was a great accompanyment and rated 91 pts by R. Parker. Would highly recommend this for a romantic meal, special occassion. The creme brulee and Grand Marnie souffle were wonderful desserts to end out night.

Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at La Bergerie Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Thank you for coming in, we appreciate the review and are happy you enjoyed everything!

facebook/La-Bergerie-Restaurant-AlexandriaVA

Reviewed September 4, 2013

That was the first time in 20 years that we did not leave a tip (we left $1). I went with my wife to quietly celebrate a private event. The food was fine with the exception of the desert, so were the employees – friendly nice and helpful….

The waiter on the other hand was a total disgrace. His English was barely comprehensible and he did not even make an effort to speak clearly, he never smiled, he did not bother to explain the menu, i.e. how the restaurant week worked or present other menu options. His attitude was rude, indifferent and condescending.

He kept our wine on ice, away from the table…and he never showed up to pour it into our glasses. Twice after waiting for more than 10 minutes with empty glasses we had to ask the boy cleaning the tables to bring us our wine. The waiter never showed up to check on us or inquire whether we were satisfied with the food and the service either. We are not picky and don't expect or need much but if they keep our wine away from the table they should at least be available to pour it when the glasses are empty. This was by far the worst service of our life and a disappointing evening.

1  Thank DennisOl123
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I ate here during restaurant week and were very pleased. having booked through Open Table, I reviewed it there: This is a good French restaurant. We went for restaurant week. Service was very good and surprisingly fast. For appetizers, both the smoked trout and chilled potato soup (I can't spell visysoise) were delicious. The veal was very good for the cost. I found the port sauce a little sweet, but that is personal. I sometimes sip lemon juice. The soufflé my wife had was very good, and I enjoyed the sorbet selection. As good as the food was, we especially liked the quiet atmosphere. With table cloths, rugs, and well-spaced tables, it was possible to talk in a normal voice.

We thank you!