“Great Grilled Chicken and Lamb”
Review of Taverna Cretekou

Taverna Cretekou
Ranked #16 of 769 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The food here is very good since it was taken over by new owner. The grilled chicken is so good it melts in your mouth. In the summer, eat outside in the garden. It's wondeful. The food is very good. The grilled lamb is excellent as are the traditional dishes and appetizers. Definitely a frequent choice for us for dining on light and fresh and mostly healthy choices for Mediterrean food.

Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

We wanted to try this restaurant after passing by one night. The menu and reviews looked inviting. Upon entering we were greeted by a very nice women who seated us very quickly. The tables are tightly placed in this very busy restaurant, which only means one thing to me ... Good food!
The waiter who had a very strong Greek accent tried to tell us what we would want?
Told my husband he should order the lamb shank( my husband does not like lamb) anyway I think he got the message that we needed a few minutes to decide, I was getting the feeling he was in a rush? Maybe it's just his way? I ordered the Greek special combination plate. It was very tasty. My hubbie ordered a veal cube dish with eggplant ... Another good choice.The very nice hostess /owner? Came over to our table to check on us. The bus boys were always ready to fill our water glasses! I would like to come back in the summer and sit outside ...patio looks romantic.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I loved the food and the staff was pleasant and helpful. Not rushed, good vibe and ambiance. We had several appetizers and liked them, especially the spinach pie, hummus, and olives (ask for them). Good choice!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We have been going here, every year, for almost 10 years on our anniversary. It is a special and wonderful place and I look forward every year to the food, staff and atmosphere. Its a welcoming, inviting restaurant and you will NOT be disappointed in any way. If you're looking for delicious food, staff that makes you feel like part of the family and a cozy romantic place--Taverna Cretekou is your stop!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Date night on the way to theater and we always struggle with where to eat. I recalled this place from a visit a decade ago and the Tripadvisor rating was good. We were not disappointed. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The waiter walked us though what he thought was good and he was right. It is good to find a restaurant with mature waiters who have actually tasted the food and know what good food is. The food was excellent as was the service. The traditional deserts were very good, a lemon flan and apricot something. The fish special was the best fish my wife has had in a while. The waiter de-bones it at the table. The mushroom/crab and flaming cheese appetizers were excellent. Price with wine was over $100 for two but it was a great night and worth it. It is a little loud but in a fun way.