Taverna Cretekou
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I went to this place by chance on Thursday for lunch then back again on Sat for lunch again. I had the sluvaki or however it is spelled the lite lunch portion and it came with a side salad instead of that they let me have a side of potato salad instead and it was really good. I also ordered a small bowl of rice for my 2 yr old and they didn't even charge me for it. Then when I went there the second time for lunch I forgot to order the rice for my daughter and they remembered and brought it out for her without even my asking. The waiters are very friendly and I think I met the owner she was very nice and came over to welcome us. The first time we ate inside and the second time outside in the garden/patio. I really felt like I was in a little resturant in Greece when we ate outside. I was a very nice atmosphere. I only wish that the resturant was closer to my house instead of a hr away. If you find yourself in Alexandria, Va check it out it's on King St in old town Alexandria. You will not be dissapointed.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Based on Taverna Creketou's good ratings, I dragged my husband here one night. The ambiance is really charming; we sat outside in their adorable patio. Service was quick -- almost too quick, like they wanted to get us and and out quickly. The food was extremely disappointing. Overall, Old Town dining can be hit or miss, and this was a miss. My lemon chicken consisted of three tiny lukewarm pieces of chicken (think no more than what you'd get in a Lean Cuisine) swimming in a gelatinous sauce with a handful of vegetables. My husband's lamb was OK but also lacking in flavor. I won't be returning.

1  Thank Nanci_Dru
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The food here was delicious and the service was very attentive and helpful. The only downside is that they had live entertainment that was way too loud: we couldn't hear ourselves talk. When we asked them to turn down the volume, all they did was play songs with a slower beat.

1  Thank likeeat
Reviewed October 10, 2012

as in the title to this review - Cretekou serves very solid good greek food-
very nice inside the restaurant - absolutely wonderful (weather permitting)
in their lovely garden.
Service is excellent - prices a bit high but no "ouch" factor.
We love Greek food and this is about all we need to make us happy.
we have been to Cretekou many times and will return often.
Little tip - all waiters are coourteous and effecient - George is a prize, sit with him
if you can...

Reviewed October 1, 2012

What a lovely blast from the past when my husband and I returned for a visit after moving away some 13 years ago. My mouth was watering for several of the dishes served here which I have yet to be equaled in any other Greek restaurant I have ever eaten in. In particular, if you are a fan of eggplant and have an exotic palate, you must try the Imam Baildi appetizer. Honestly, I almost wish I had ordered 2 as my entree. I have never found anything like it anywhere. The Garides Cretekou and Arni Youvetsi did not disappoint either. Just as we remembered!

I suppose it didn't hurt that the weather was perfect and we were served on the patio, it's like a secret little garden in the city. Was I really in the US and not in Greece? Beautifully landscaped and maintained. The restaurant is very clean, windows sparkle. To top it all off, we were served by a combination of a very friendly, competent, young Honduran waiter along with owner's wife. So sweet! By the end of the meal the owner made rounds to see if we were satisfied. What is so amazing is that the owner and his wife were former long-time employees who bought the business. They have not missed a beat. May they have continued success!