“Charming location with good food”
Review of Geranio Ristorante

Geranio Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Geranio Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #132 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: Columbus Street
Transit: King Street Metro
Reviewed August 23, 2014

I chose to try during DC Restaurant week. This was the only location I found offering 4 courses rather than three as part of their restaurant week fare. The bruchetta and pork loin was so-so, but the wild mushroom risotto and tiramisu were amazing.

Our waiter was exceptional. Very attentive and made it a point to pull out chairs for my girlfriends and I, not just upon initial seating, but after using the powder room as well.

Overall a good experience, but I wish the main course had been a little better. I would definitely eat there again sometime.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

My wife and I came to the DC area for our fourth wedding anniversary and the night we planned on having a nice, romantic dinner, she said, "I want Italian and a Martini". While searching web for Italian resturants near our Hotel (Hilton Alexandria Old Towne), I came across Geranio's, so off we went. It was great that they seated up pretty quickly when not having a reservation, so they earned favorable points in my book already. While the atmosphere was quite nice for a fine dining resturant, we thought our dinner was just "average". I had the lobster bisque for an appetizer and would have thought there would would be some tidbits of lobster but none could be found.. also, in my mind, a bisque should be somewhat, slighty robust and thick, but I found it thin and soupy, almost like water.. and it had quite the buttery taste, like it was trying to hide the taste that would normally come with a lobster.... my wife and I had the ceaser salad offered, but for some reason it did not stand out from other ceasar salads we have had before.. we came to the conclusion that the lettuce was not crisp... Finally, I had the Grand Ravoli with crab meat, and of course, the way it was presented on the plate, it seemed to me that it was hiding something,, one ravoli leaf on the botton, seasoned crab meat in the middle, then a ravoli leaf on the top.. really did not have much of a taste (other than the crab meat) and was thinking to myself, "where is the italian sauce".. (not that every dish is to have sauce, but then again, I am in an Italian resturant). I travel to the DC area alot and stay in Alexandria on most occassions so the next time I feel the urge to go Italian, I'll will have to continue walking down King St, passing up Geranio in search of another Italian resturant.

2  Thank JohnS13_13
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I used to live in the area and Geranio was a special place for my husband and I when we were dating. Food and service used to be exceptional. On our recent trip to DC, we decided to pay a visit to this restaurant and were sorely disappointed. Food was very average, wine selection was so-so, decor still remains the same, bathroom is deteriorated, service was rushed, even though the restaurant was empty. We will not be back.

1  Thank avodemas
Reviewed July 14, 2014

It's been awhile since we have been here but every time we go back with friends it "Never Disappoints" good food good service.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

The setting is quaint and non-descript, nonetheless we were warmly greeted by the staff upon arrival. The meal was set in the right direction by an excellent choice of red wine that complimented the meal beautifully. The kids loved the gnocchi appetizer. The kitchen complied with my request for extra anchovies to nicely augment a crispy fresh Caesars salad. The lobster risotto was splendid. My wife thoroughly enjoyed the crab ravioli. We would gladly go back.

1  Thank DrPSDPM