“Excellent food and service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Geranio Ristorante

Geranio Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Geranio Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #79 of 752 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: Columbus Street
Transit: King Street Metro
Alexandria, Virginia
“Excellent food and service!”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

On November 16, 2013, my wife, three friends, and I, ate dinner at this restaurant. The food and drinks were delicious, but what made our evening special was the friendly and attentive service provided by our server, Alberto, and his colleagues. There are many dining options in Alexandria, so the details matter. Geranio got the details right. We will patronize this restaurant often and we will recommend it to our friends.

• Visited November 2013

McMurray, Pennsylvania
“Cozy, romantic Italian”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We were looking for a cozy, romantic spot for dinner In Alexandria - Geranio was it! We made reservations for 7 on Sunday and were seating in the window so we could enjoy the view of King Street at night. We started with appetizers - mussels for him and calamari for me. Let me back up and say our server was terrific. We discussed what we would like for dinner and he gave us a couple of wine recommendations - we chose an Italian Chardonnay that was a perfect compliment to our dinners. His mussels (with some clams mixed in as they were short on mussels) were in a tasty broth he sopped up with fresh from the oven bread. My fried calamari were coated very lightly with bread crumbs and served with a lemon caper sauce - very light and delicate.

Next, a salad course - his a traditional Caesar and mine a field greens mix with walnuts and Gorgonzola. Very nice, but I wish mine had a bit more cheese crumbled on top. A fruity olive oil was on the table which we enjoyed with our bread. We came for the pasta and we were not disappointed. He had linguini with shrimp with extra Parmesan on top - so many shrimp! I could not pass up the risotto with 1/2# lobster on top - fabulous! The pieces of lobster were so sweet and the risotto was creamy with a bit of a bite.We were completely satisfied. Throughout our meal, water glasses were filled, empty dishes cleared, and wine was refilled - all quietly and unobtrusively. We were taken care of very well. We wanted to enjoy their desserts, so we asked for the chocolate mousse and the cheesecake to go to enjoy later at our hotel. They accommodated this request quickly and packed our requests to go. We finished up our meal in about 2 hours - we were not rushed at all.

The only downside to the evening was a table of 4 persons (I thought at first must have been at least 6 people) that was seated one table away from us. They were so LOUD we could hear every bit of their conversations. I realize the restaurant has no control over those customers, and we tried not to let it ruin our experience. In summary, I would return here often if I lived nearby and plan to in our future trips to the DC area.

New York City, New York
“Excellent, charming Italian restaurant”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

While reading the menu outside for this place, a resident of Alexandria stopped and told us it was her favorite in Old Town. So, we choose it for our last meal of the trip.
We thoroughly enjoyed the food, decor, service, and the price was reasonable too. We ordered the lobster risotto, a veal, and a lamb dish. All perfect. gnocchi appetizer fresh, homemade, and delicious. Generous portions, we could have ordered two entrees for 3 people easily.
I will definately go back next trip.

New Jersey
“A gem”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We were staying in Alexandria for the weekend and chose Geranio as our Friday night dinner place based on our previous experience and the continued positive reviews on Yelp. Our service was gracious and considering that we are a loud group, that's is alot to be said.
We enjoyed a variety of appetizers which included a shared portion of the risotto special with crab and asparagus. It was perfectly cooked and just plain delicious.
Other dishes included fresh mozzerella, Rock fish with fingerling potatoes in a mild, fresh tomtato sauce. This dish derived great flavor from it's sauce, as did the mussels with orange zest. He does very well by his risottos' also.
The wine list is diverse and decently priced. Our only low was dessert. Nothing stood out-not bad but not OMG either. However after the delicious meal we had, we were forgiving of the desserts. A true gem in Alexandria.

“Very disappointing.”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Entrees were less than satisfactory and presentation was very sloppy. The lobster risotto had half pound of lobster meat in it, sounds exciting. We are still waiting for .4 pounds. I am pretty sure the risotto was all water base and no broth. Dessert....sorbet you can't really mess up, the soup creme brûlée is a different story. Gordon Ramsey would have a field day with it. The waiter...was all over the place hands in your face and handing customers plates. Other wait staff, while passing by our table, on the way to the kitchen thought it would be appropriate to actually push my chair in with me in it. Needless to say, I will never return again.

• Visited September 2013