WINNER WONDERLAND

“Outstanding Food, Very Good Service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Geranio Ristorante

Geranio Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Geranio Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 733 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: Columbus Street
Transit: King Street Metro
Grand Forks, North Dakota
“Outstanding Food, Very Good Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

I followed the recommendations of other Trip Advisors and visited Geranio Ristorante. I was traveling alone, so did not make a reservation. I was seated immediately and enjoyed the authentic Italian atmosphere of the restaurant. I ordered the grilled salmon and it, along with the fresh bread and sides were terrific. The only negative of the experience was that some of the tables are very close to each other and I ended up next to a table to 5 gentlemen and spent part of my dining experience overhearing their entire conversation. However, I would highly recommend if you are in the King's Street area.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

“Outstanding food, service and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Went to the restaurant with wife and 2 kids (7 and 4) without reservation and the gave us the best table (near fire place and outside view). We ordered today's special and all of the seafood was excellent. Had some appetizers and kids menu for children. We had a great time there.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very good food. Nice place. Great service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Troy does a great job of delivering great food consistently. Although sometimes it's a little salty. But, we go there a lot and have never had a bad meal there. Everything is fresh, high end preparation, beautiful presentation, great service and very nice decor and environment inside. It feel upscale Northern Italian, which it is. We love this place and can highly recommend it and it's wonderful for a date as it's quite, initmate, and upscale.

Visited January 2013
columbia
“Wonderful food/ Great Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We really liked the quality of the food and the service. Because we were staying in Alexandria, I searched TripAdvisor for solid reviews and reasonable prices on the menu. After eating there, I cannot imagine why this little restaurant is not in top 10 in Alexandria.

Visited February 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Perfect for a cozy, romantic night out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

While most of my reviews are related to my near constant travel overseas, I occasionaly write one about my neighborhood eateries. Old Town Alexandria has many, and we continue to try out each one, although it will take years to sample them all.

Geranio is close to our house, so we have been remiss in not trying it earlier. Our reluctance has always been the extremely high standards we set for Italian food, having lived in Italy from 2004-2009.

Geranio is, like virtually all Italian restaurants in the U.S., not quite fully Italian, so those expecting a meal like they might get in Parma or Bologna will be disappointed. We came with low expectations and were pleasantly surprised. The chef has taken Italian dishes and in all honesty, has come up with a sinfully delicious unique recipes that will bring us back often.

The four of us tried different dishes, and we all were reluctant to share. My open range roasted chicken on a bed of risotto with a heavenly sauce that took me back to meals in southern Tuscany almost brought tears to my eyes. The pork tenderloin was succulent, with a similar sauce, and the salmon was excellent, although I would never come here for that dish.

What I found particularly enjoyable was the starter bruschetta. There are many variations of this peasant fare, but this one was like none other that I have experienced. The crispy bread with a layer of cheese on it was very off putting. But it came with two sauces for dipping, and both were divine. When I finished the bruschetta, I told the waiter to leave the sauces. They were that luscious.

The dessert, not unlike desserts in Italy, were undistinguished. I wisely chose the berries in cream, which was a perfect ending. My wife chose the tiramisu, and while there are many variations of this Italian dessert, she placed this one way down the list of those she has sampled.

The atmosphere of the restaurant is cozy and warm, perfect for a romantic meal or a gathering of friends who wish to relax and enjoy good food in a quiet setting, the opposite of Murphy's bar across the street. If you want raucous, head over there after you meal at Geranio's.

• Visited January 2013