“A place to say "I was there"”
Review of Gadsby's Tavern

Gadsby's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Gadsby's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 822 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cameron Street
Description: Gadsby's Tavern has been offering fine dining since 1770. Enjoy lunch and dinner in one of the elegant Colonial dining rooms. The one-of-a-kind Gadsby's Tavern experience awaits you.
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The history in the D.C. & Alexandria area is incomparable and I truly made an effort to visit Gadsby's on an historical basis. In that regard if fit the bill. We opted for apps and sampled the local ales as well as the chardonnay. I highly recommend the Red Diamond chard for those who appreciate a dry white. The crab cake app was delicious. Moist and plenty o' Maryland crab. The ham biscuits were so-so from my perspective but I am not a huge meat eater. Service was great & kudos to our server Eric who was uber-personable and all around good guy. Bottom line: do-over.

2  Thank FLrez

Reviewed October 9, 2012

While the food is very standard American steakhouse grub, the dinner experience is elevated by the evening entertainment. John Douglas Hall was singing and playing his guitar, and "roasting" the guests 1700's style. This made for a fun group dining experience. The prime rib wasn't bad either.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

OK. I did not sit at George Washington's table, but this historic place was a restaurant back then and now it is the place to go for good food, some history, and music of the period. Yes! Music.
We ordered 4 different meals, and everyone was happy. My pork chop was juicy and tasty and came with perfectly cooked fresh vegetables. My husband's prime rib was beautiful. This place will set you back about $50 per person with one drink and a shared dessert, but it is surely worth it. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had dinner here with some friends and family. When we first arrived at the restaurant the outside of the building really excited us; an 18th century tavern with all the outside appearances, how exciting! yet when we entered, the interior seemed very plain. We were sat at our table and greeted by a very lovely waitress who was dressed in period clothing and greeted us warmly. Perhaps visiting on a monday night miss skewed our view but we had all been led to believe that there would be live, period era, music being played/sung which unfortunately didn't happen. The food quality was good but the price was high and the interior was lacking old world charm. Overall I'd say gadsbys is a charming place but maybe not everything one would expect from the advertising.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

On a recent trip to DC I managed to spend one afternoon and evening walking around Alexandria. It is a nice city and I wished I had had more time to explore it.

One highlight of this visit was dinner at Gadsby's Tavern (I had the Meatloaf) which was absolutely delicious and an enjoyable departure from the everyday standard. I would heartily recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting the DC area.