“Tasty food, nice people”
Review of Afghan Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Afghan Restaurant
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We've eaten as a family at the Afghan Restaurant many times. We love the vegetarian platter (spinach/pumpkin/eggplant). The nan is great. And our babies/preschoolers have always loved the yogurt! And bonus...there is often an Afghan wedding or other celebration going on!

Reviewed April 29, 2014

We had eggplant, bread with chutney, mants, kabobs. We shared, and everything was delicious. Our secong try on Afghan food, and were not disappointed.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Afghan bread is very yummy all by itself, but add some eggplant or the garlic cilantro yogurt and it is hard to stop eating. I also had the chaplee (?) Kabob, spicy ground lamb, which was really tasty and came with a salad on the side and lemon. The lemon is fabulous on the kabob and compliments the spiciness. I also ordered a vege kabob which was fantastic, I really enjoy grilled veges. They were not overcooked, which many places do, and had a few spices, papikra and others, sprinkled lightly on top. BTW This was a lot of food for just one person. Don't forget some hot tea afterwards. I don't know how to describe it other than it needs no sugar or milk, is served extremely hot and is wonderful after the meal. The view on the outside is not exactly inviting and the ambience is lacking, they could use a revamp of their menu, the descriptions don't do the food justice and the food is really the reason to go.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I discovered the Afghan Restaurant nearly two decades ago, and make it a point to stop in for lunch or dinner when I’m in the area. I’ve always had good experiences here, most recently earlier this week with my wife, so I’m perplexed by some of the negative comments below.

Whether you’re ordering off the menu or doing the lunch buffet, the Afghan Restaurant serves tasty, authentic food in generous portions. Quabili Palau, for example, is a plateful of rice cooked with sweet, tender carrot strips and raisins, along with lamb chunks. Their version is at least as delicious as what I’ve eaten in Kabul, and the lamb is of higher quality too. If you think about starting with an appetizer, such as the excellent aushak, you’ll have plenty to take home. Their fried eggplant dish, Bouranee Baunjaun, is to die for. As is the bread. Between those and their rice, I could almost go vegetarian.

No alcohol. Afghans are Muslims, their religion prohibits it, so get over it and drink water or hot tea, which is more traditional anyhow. If you can’t get your head around that, go park yourself at the bar at TGI Fridays.

Service is, shall we say, casual, but friendly and accommodating. The décor is a little drab and leaves something to be desired, and the exterior is eminently forgettable. Let’s just say it fits in well with the auto body shops which surround it. But I’m here for the food, and they always hit the mark. We’ll definitely be back.

1  Thank John V
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I live in Alexandria and Afghan Restaurant is my favorite. They have delicious food. I'm vegetarian and their curry is just wonderful. Both of the gentlemen who work their are very nice and each time we go there to eat we get free tea with our meal.
I would absolutely recommend this place :)