“Great place for casual rustic French food and ambiance”

Le Refuge Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 759 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great place for casual rustic French food and ambiance”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Casual French country style restaurant. Sizable menu, I had a terrific fish stew. The facility is small with tables close, we had a nice time chatting with the folks at the table next to us. The wine list was of reasonable size with fair prices.

Visited January 2014

Hilton Head, South Carolina
“High quality food; extremely popular (loud) and casual good fun place”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Three of us went to dinner on a weeknight with a reservation and it was indeed a mob scene at the 7 pm time slot. We could not hear each other at all to talk. The service was somewhat slow, not surprisingly. But the food items were delightfully tasty, well-prepared and perfectly seasoned with healthy ingredients. We gobbled everything up but we weren't able to talk. Prices are a tiny bit steep for the size portions you get, and our wait staff was not too swift or happy to make adjustments or substitutions on the menu. The bar area was a hopping party scene and added to the noise but also to the fun, casual atmosphere. And yes, the bar had various tv screens on - mostly for sports as I recall. If I were to go again for the food, I would definitely make reservations on an off hour.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank lsihrofhhisc
Dingmans Ferry, PA
“Spectacular and Unpretentious !”
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were in DC visiting from CT and upon a neighbor and close friend's recommendation, made an advance reservation for dinner. We took a 20 minute cab ride over from DC. Well, this meal did not disappoint. I started with the escargot and it was prepared with diced tomato and it made for a wonderful base for the escargots. My husband had a very tasty salad. I can't remember exactly what was in it, but it was plentiful. For my main course, I opted for the rack of lamb which was also a recommendation of the same friend. Again, great choice. For dinner my husband had a casserole which was prepared with lamb, sausage, chicken and duck topped with white beans - WOW ! All I can say is my fork was in his plate for the entire meal.
I had plenty of lamb chops for my own dinner, but could not help myself. He did eat 2 of my 8 lamb chops. I would recommend this unpretentious French country style restaurant to all. I also thank my friends Nancy and Gary for yet another great recommendation. It was worth the cab ride over from DC. Arrive early and spend some time shopping and have a cocktail in the neighborhood.

2 Thank mickeyboo
NY, NY
“Cozy, neighborhood bistro.”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Warm, cozy, inviting bistro. Food is good, not exceptional. But reasonably priced with a matching reasonable wine list. If you're looking for an easy, neighborhood, friendly place -- this is it. Don't expect a Michelin star -- more like a country cafe.

• Visited September 2013
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Alexandria's great bistro”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This is, and has been for years, our favorite Old Town restaurant. We moved away from Alexandria in 2003 but visit often; we always eat at Le Refuge, and we are never disappointed. We most recently spent a month in Old Town, staying with old friends, and we ate at Le Refuge four times. Three times it was soft-shell crabs (the best), but once, just for variety, it was calf's liver. Outstanding every time. The atmosphere is exactly that of the Parisian bistro of your dreams. We look forward to many return visits.

Visited September 2013