“Poorly prepared food and rude service.”

Le Refuge Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 765 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I cannot believe people gush over this place. I was there six months ago. The food was pedestrian and the manager was patently rude complaining that I did not tip enough for adequate, but unremarkable service. The noise level is extremely high and you are seated about 18" from diners at the next table.

The only possible reason to go there is if you are craving poorly prepared food and an insolent French attitude from the management.

2  Thank Mackva
There are newer reviews for Le Refuge Restaurant

Reviewed December 1, 2012

La Refuge has been around for years and still wonderful. I love the small intimate and quaint dining room. Can't go wrong with classic French onion soup and the frog legs are the best! Actually, I think you can order anything off the menu and be pleased. The prices are very fair.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I highly recommend this restaurant for a delicious French dining experience. The boeuf au poivre is amazing, and the small country-style cafe atmosphere makes it an excellent choice for couples.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

A Very Small Piece of France in Old Town. French Classic Dishes prepared very well. The Bouillabaisse is the best in Metro DC. The restaurant is run by its owners who are always in front and in back of the house. The only Gripe -- Do a better job of washing the wine glasses please. I hate to have to inspect for lip lines every time I go...and if it wasn't for the fact that I love your food, I wouldn't continue to go back. I hate dirty wine glasses.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have been enjoying the food, service and convenience of Le Refuge since it opened 29 years ago. Birthdays, Valentine's Day and every special occasion requires a visit here. ***** (5 stars)