“Great food! Don't overlook this little gem”

Rosita's Restaurant & Carry-Out
Ranked #243 of 768 Restaurants in Alexandria
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My son and I had the misfortune of getting our key's locked in the car at the Target on Richmond Hwy. With a over hour wait and a starving 14 year old, I had no choice but to walk to the nearest restaurant and get some dinner.

We walked into Rosita's, which is on Richmond hwy on the same side of the street as the Target. It is a cute place, a bit of a dive but clean and friendly. The sign says carry-out but they have seating inside. Most of the staff speaks Spanish and a bit of English but the menu is almost all in picture form so you can clearly see what you are ordering.

They offer soft drinks and beer, no wine and the beers are for the most part Mexican beers by the bottle.

We ordered the pupusas which are an El Salvador dish, a thicker tortilla, grilled flat and filled with pork, cheese, or vegetables. We had the pork and cheese and they were delicious. A bit crispy on the outside, filled with savory pork and melted cheese on the inside. Served with either tomato sauce which is mild, or their homemade green hot sauce, makes it even better.

I got the eggs with peppers, onions, tomatoes, severed with rice and beans. Very good! My son got the flautas which were rolled tortillas filled with meat and cheese, fried to a golden crisp. Yum!

We did not try desert and the meals are very filling. The prices are good, the pupusas were $2.00 each and 2 or 3 for dinner would be filling. The egg dish was $8.00 and the flautas were $11.00 I think. I tried to post my pictures below but they would not load on this site; meals were generous.

I will certainly be back...but for take-out this time. While the atmosphere was just average the food was really worth trying.

1  Thank Margaret H