“Don't Judge a Sushi Restaurant by its Cover!”

Sumo Hibachi & Sushi Restaurant
Ranked #172 of 815 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Discovered this place with a Groupon. Was pleasantly surprised to find such a nice establishment and delicious sushi in a small strip mall off of Eisenhower Ave. Once you're inside the restaurant you forget you're in suburbia. The atmosphere is really lovely and the sushi exceeded expectations. Been back twice since the Groupon, and each time was better than the last! I've only been there for weekend lunch, but the service was super attentive.

Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

The food, portions and service was very good....So was the atmosphere. We are planing to go back again!!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My children and I wanted to try some sushi. We had a "Groupon" coupon and we arrived at Sumo at 2pm. The waitress took our order and although we got our water and miso soup in a timely manner, we didn't get our food for a long time. The place was almost empty so it wasn't that the kitchen was slammed, so what were we waiting for?
Finally, the food came and my sushi/sashimi plate was not cold....cold enough to keep fresh fish fresh kind of cold...it was past room temperature AND the rice was kind of warm. Did they run out of rice, and that's why the food was late? To have our food arrive almost 45 minutes later is not fun.
While we were waiting for our food, the table menu offered tempura ice creams which we thought were amusing so we decided to get some for dessert...Thank goodness we were not in a hurry. The cheesecake tempura looked pretty decent. My green tea ice cream tempura came kind of soggy....I guess I expected it to be crispy but that wasn't the case.
If this is how long it would take us to get served, it's not worth it unless we had time to kill which we did, but come on...45 minutes for our meals?

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a Japanese restaurant across the street from the US Patent Office. I would guess that it gets a lot of lunch business from the offices across the street. I was there for dinner and it was a nice quiet restaurant with great decor and atmosphere. The entrees were primarily sushi rolls from $12 - $22 with some sides included. Being different I got Udon noodles, which had a meaty broth, and had a salad and two skewered tempura shrimp as the included sides. The sushi that my table mates got looked good with great presentation. Very artful. They were happy with the sushi.

1  Thank dennis2go
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Upon entering the restaurant one is impressed with the visually appealling decor and atmosphere. The dining experience is divided between the front area with booths and sushi bar, with the back dedicated to the hibachi table sitting area , ( which sounded like a lot of fun ). I have tried the sushi bar twice and found the presentation and taste as fresh as the new restaurant is ! Of the 3-4 sushi " dedicated" establishments in the Old Town area, this is the best.