“Good for a hotel restaurant”

Trademark Drink and Eat
Reserve with OpenTable
Trademark Drink and Eat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #115 of 768 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Have eaten here several times when staying in the neighborhood and it is a little pricey. But everything I've had has been good- the salmon, the pork chop, the crabcake sandwich, the hamburger. I've never had the seafood pot pie, but it looks delicious. On a week night with local drinkers in, it gets very loud. On a recent Sunday, not crowded and more pleasant. Service can be spotty- I had to ask twice for ketchup, meanwhile the burger was getting cold.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Food was very good but the servers were not very attentive. Our waiter was to busy chatting up the bartender to check on us. One evening we wanted to have desert and catch the end of a ball game and they had hockey on all the big screens and seemed a little put out to change one.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Trademark, the restaurant in the Westin Hotel inAlexandria, VA, has recently and radically changed its decor and menu, and I think not for the better. The bar area has been greatly expanded and look more pub style - nothing wring with that - but the privacy offered by an attached but private dining area for small groups (10-12) as well as booths have been sacrificed for the “new look.” My personal preference was for the former. On this occasion, I started dinner with a chopped salad, uninteresting and over-priced for value delivered. My partner and I both had crab cake sandwiches for our main dish. I found mine heavy on filler and light on crab. The sauce was tasty. The bread (bun) was soft, without body as if it had been steamed or microwaved to make it warm. The only choices for sides are cole slaw or french fries. A more healthful option would have been welcome. All in all, the meal wasn’t bad, just not memorable. The service was timely without being rushed.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

If you are the kind of person who likes fru-fru food like Salmon Eggs Benedict, then you will love this place. I just wanted some scrambled eggs and bacon and couldn't find it on the menu. $39 for two people to have breakfast may be the norm in DC area, but I think you can find much better food at a far better price elsewhere.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I travel a fair bit for work, and take those opportunities to choose local restaurants whenever possible. Another boring hotel cheesburger is just not necessarily what I'm in the market for.

The clever name of Trademark (the hotel is very close to the US Patent and Trademark Office) had me skeptical. But a great decor, coupled with a knee injury, led me to dine in-house rather than go afield.

I was not disappointed. While some of the items suffered from my "4th ingredient rule" problems (you know, when you're reading the description of the dish, it all sounds great until they get to the kumquats or whatever), the staples I tried were very well executed. The chopped salad in particular was nice, as was the BBQ chicken flatbread.

This cuisine is not innovative. But isn't the hallmark of a restaurant verified when they do staples well?

I'm calling this "very good" because it's in a hotel. If this were just a stand alone restaurant, it would merit 3 stars rather than 4, because to me, the stakes are higher when a restaurant is plying its trade as a stand-alone. And for the decor. It was really cool. And given that the restaurant does double duty as the bar, it wasn't at all too loud.

Verdict: if I lived in Alexandria, I doubt I would go out of my way to go there to eat. If I'm staying at the Westin Alexandria again, I won't be upset about deciding to eat in the hotel restaurant again - there are still a number of things on the menu I'd like to try.

Been to Trademark Drink and Eat? Share your experiences!