“Not worth the bother!”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I was taken here by friends as they live locally and had been before but felt it wasn't very good but as I'm in the trade wanted to know my take on it. I wasn't taken! The waiter was over familiar and had a sloppy way with service. The table outside was wobbly and the table cloths didn't fit any of the tables. The food was so salty it was hard to eat. And why offer grits that are tasteless and cheap but charge big bucks! Our dessert was left as it was so horrid! It was a caramel slop! And it's noisy if you sit outside with Alexandria town traffic.

1  Thank Jonty1960

Reviewed April 25, 2013

With the spacious patio, well appointed upstairs bar and piano bar area, Notting Hill held a lot of promise. Unfortunately, that promise was not realized. We tried to call to make reservations but the phone rang and rang. Second or third try got an answering machine and left a message as instructed. They didn't have it noted when we arrived. There were plenty of open tables anyway - probably should have been our first clue.

We waited quite a while for our entrees, during which the maitre d or manager made conversation by providing negative commentary on some costumed players from the theatre across the street, who were upstairs having drinks, seemingly before their performance. Talking trash about other patrons? REALLY?

The flank steak was chewy on the inside and hard/crusty on the outside. No flavor. My salad had very little taste, although my friend had the beet salad and really enjoyed it. The waitress was pleasant but very inexperienced and had clearly not received training from the restaurant. We tried the bar upstairs after dinner. The 9pm pianist finally showed up around 10. It would have been better if she hadn't. She and her two accompanying singers (I think you were supposed to think they spontaneously stood up from the audience) were way too much cabaret and not enough actual talent. I could go on, but you get the idea. With so many great restaurants in Old Town, don't waste your time on Notting Hill, until/unless they make some significant improvements.

2  Thank laramony
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I decided to try Notting Hill for lunch, our normal practice when a new restaurant opens in town. Although we were prepared to like Notting Hill, our expectations were not met. The minestrone we both had was totally tasteless - no seasoning or flavor of any kind - although the vegetables were fresh. My braised beet salad had a lump of goat cheese (which was good) as a side to finely diced beets, lettuce, and a lack luster salad dressing. My husband had rockfish whose sauce of crayfish did nothing to enhance the dish. The waiter, who was trying hard, recommended a dessert and then said it wasn't available. We settled for ginger creme brulee that was so thin and tasteless that the waiter voluntarily removed it from the bill. Still hopeful that the coffee would be good, it too missed the mark as watery thin expresso. With a nice new decor and lovely outside seating area, this restaurant should be one of Old Town's gems. Perhaps with more attention to the food from the chef, Notting Hill can develop into what it should be.

2  Thank Alexandria_VASusan
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Only disagreement is I wouldn't knock Bistro Lafayette's food...moot point now. BL's servers weren't nice tho, that is true, same as Notting Hill. Both had that French "we're doing you a favor by letting you eat here" attitude.

Again, the above review is spot on...they were out of entrees and they were even out of bread for the table! When we asked for maybe something else in place of the bread (you'd think they'd apologetically throw in a free appetizer) it was like we were crazy. But they were right, we were crazy to eat there.

2  Thank Oldtown75
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This restaurant is not to be missed! The food was as good as some of the best I have had in NYC or London (including Gordon Ramsay's restaurants and Thomas Keller's Per Se). I didn't like calamari until I tasted that dish in this restaurant - soooo fresh, batter was soooo light and the drizzle of oyster sauce was perfect. My Basque style Atlantic Cod is the best Cod I have had anywhere - and without the batter (as in Fish and Chips), helped my waistline! The service was superb and apart from the ruffle curtains at the front window (a tad off putting), the decor/ambience is great. They even have a coat service as soon as you walk in and a patio on one side is soon to be prepared and open for the summer. We are planning on taking the family (as in grandkids) to brunch here to try out that menu and we liked it so much we plan to return with friends too.