“It was not what i expected”
Review of Cafe Aurora

Cafe Aurora
Ranked #230 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Wife and I saw this restaurant recommended on TV show and checked it out on yelp and it had great reviews so we said we should try it. The place is small but looks very nice on the inside and the waitress was very nice We wanted to try something special from North East Africa origin, so we tried Item #4 Enjera Fitfit and #7 Egg Silsi. Before I tell my opinion I and my wife have a variety taste pallets, we have been in Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, France, Indonesia and Thailand and love the food we tried. We have never eaten any Africa food before so we cannot say what is a good tasting from any other. But the plates we tried tasted the same just the different textures. We could not eat the food we took about 4 bites of the food. If it wasn’t for the bread that was very dried out we would not have been able to take those 4 bites. I was amazed that it was given so high review by the Public Broadcast TV show. This was the first time I was not able to eat the food at a restaurant. Also it even gave rave of praise about the coffee, our coffee came lukewarm. We spent little over $23.00 for breakfast. And we looked at the prices for dinner very expensive, if what we had was a sample of the taste you get for the dinner.
I would not go there again and I say if you go don’t order #4 or #7 on the menu.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Not sure if it's Ethiopian or Eritrean, but the food is the best of that type I've had in Alexandria. There are entrees for vegetarians and carnivores made with the special butter they have in the horn of Africa; ingratiating service; and superb injera( subtly flavored with I can't tell what ).
It's a small cafe, and when we went for a Saturday lunch, we had to wait even though we had a reservation. I think we were the only non-Ethiopean/Eritreans in the place.