“Great Coffee Shop”

St. Elmo's Coffee Pub Inc
Ranked #216 of 757 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Description: St. Elmo's Coffee Pub is the community neighborhood gathering place in the neighborhood of Del Ray in Alexandria VA. We are convenient to Wash DC & Olde Towne Alexandria. We serve great coffee, muffins, sandwiches, quiche and smoothies. We have live music from Wed thru Sat and live WiFi.
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great Coffee Shop”
Reviewed January 2, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I had occasion to stop by St. Elmo's after a bike ride. Good coffee (well actually tea) Good conversation.

Visited December 2013

Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
“Good but busy”
Reviewed November 27, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The food and service are exceptional, but it does get very crowded during peak hours. Definitely worth a visit, but not always a good place to sit and read.

Visited November 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The Un-Starbucks”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is a funky, local, community-connected coffee house with good snacks and the same types of coffee and tea drinks at the national chains.

Visited October 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Just the Usual Kind of Coffee Shop[”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Nothing to rave about but nothing to dislike either. Loved the fact that cell phones are not permitted inside - wish more places had the guts to do that! Solid coffee and plenty of outdoor seating.

Visited March 2013
Falls Church, Virginia
“good place to hangout and get above average coffee”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have been staying with a friend a few blocks away and have had the opportunity to get coffee/espresso and buy beans from St Elmo's on many occasions now.

The atmosphere is laid back, and not at all pretentious, but also nothing special either. It has far more of a neighborhood/family coffee shop feel to it than the urban hipster coffee snob feel (which I'm more familiar with). That being said, the coffee is a bit cheaper but also a bit less refined. They have lots of whole beans to buy by the bag, but I find that most of their roasts are not especially fresh, which is made worse by a lack of a roast date on the bag. I think with as many coffee snobs out there buying beans these days, more coffee shops would ensure that roast dates are standard. I can't help but hold this against them.

I've had an overall satisfying experience with the drip coffee and a decent experience with espresso. I wouldn't however target this place for either. To me, this is a place you go to if you want to support an independent coffee shop with a unique vibe, but are ok with getting coffee that's about on par with Starbucks or Caribou. The machines are fully automatic and you get espresso made accordingly. No "hand-crafted" pretentious shots here.....but also, no mind blowing shots either.

I think the real appeal of Elmo's and why they appear to do so well (lots of foot traffic, especially on the weekends, but lines move fast), is the family friendly vibe they seem to cultivate. Again, it's that neighborhood place where everyone feels welcome.

To me, that's their selling point, and I'd feel very comfortable taking my family there.

I can't comment on any of the pastries/muffins, etc. but know that they do have lots of options in that's your thing.

• Visited March 2013