“Don't go there”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Disappointing. Had to go there a couple of times with some business friends. Nothing is good. I love Thai food but this is an embarassment.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Its so so service, good location though, just across the Market Square

Reviewed July 7, 2011

A small group of us had lunch at this Thai restaurant. Two of our group had never tried Thai, so we ordered a sample appetizer and entrees. There was more food than any of us could eat, and it's served family style so we could all sample from everyone else's plates. The food was all delicious, and the waitress was prompt, friendly and accurate. It was a great experience and I look forward to returning to this place.

Reviewed June 14, 2011

I ate at this restaurant as part of a large post-wedding family get together - as I was not paying, I had no input, though I already knew that I did not want to go here. For starters, trip advisor set off bells. Secondly, whenever I walked by it was empty - not a great sign. Thirdly, when a hotel employee (and more local than I was) discovered we were doing Thai that night he said, "I hope that it is Mai Thai and not Old Town." Inside I agreed, but an hour and a half later we walked into Thai Old Town. There are a couple pros and some cons.

Pros: EXCELLENT Service. Really. We had a waitress at our table nearly constantly and if we wanted something else we received it without much of a wait. The staff was quite nice and pleasant to talk to.
Another pro, cold beers.

Cons: The food was not great. Specifically, it did not have hte spice that Thai food should have had, it was FAR too salty, and I am not entirely convinced that it was fresh. Overall it was somewhat bland. The Pad See Ew was okay - I think I enjoyed that the most, though it was quite bland compared to others I have had. The Musaman Curry was so salty it was inedible (to me) and had tough chicken. The Basil Chicken had hardly any basil or tomatoes and was bland, but still better than the curry. There was also Cashew Chicken - which I did not try, but I doubt fared any better. We also had the chicken satay and spring rolls as appetizers. The spring rolls were not spring rolls - they were egg rolls - fried and greasy. They had no flavor at all and tasted only of grease. The Satay were overcooked but had a decent peanut sauce. Another interesting thing is that the food came out within 7 minutes of ordering it (and we ordered three of each thing to do family style). This, combined with the taste and texture of the food, leaves me with the impression that everything had been previously cooked. Lastly, the actual establishment is in near shambles. It is completely unappetizing and incredibly messy - there were stains on the fabric covered chairs and the old carpet, newspapers and ads covered the entry way, a coat rack with ratty hangers looked like it belonged in a deserted apartment, the restrooms are upstairs which is a sauna, and the place generally has a bad odor.

That said, the experience was very kindly paid for and I appreciated the gesture. I simply just would have picked differently if it were up to me. In the end, no one became ill so that is a pro I guess. I think for a couple more dollars there are drastically better restaurants in Old Town.

Reviewed March 23, 2011

From someone who loves Thai Cuisine, Thai Old Town was by far the worst. My meal looked and tasted burned and to top it off it was Cold. I asked for a replacement and to my surprise the manager told me that he is going to charge a dollar for eating ONE shrimp from the Cold Burned Tasteless meal. I was so disappointed that I just took ONE shrimp out of the replacement order and gave it back. I soooo wished I had listened to my date when he suggested another Thai location which was another block or two away from this one.

Any how, viewers.........Be warned & Good Luck.