“Something Different”

Dining options: Buffet
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Washington st
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We just happened upon this restaurant one evening while strolling on King St. after we got off the free trolley. They specialize in kebabs and ours were cooked well. A sign tells customers that the food is Iranian (or Persian) but not French. I can see where that could an easy mistake if you just take a quick glance at the restaurant's name.

Our young waitress, from Bulgaria, was very pleasant and helpful. We enjoyed our dinners there.

There are newer reviews for The Parsian

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had never had Persian food, but wanted something different. It was 2:00 and no one else was in the restaurant. Thinking that was a bad sign, we stayed anyway. With help from the waitress, we ordered Barg Filet Mignon Kabob, Cornish Hen Kabob and a Veggie Kabob. It was a simple meal but simply wonderful.

There are many choices of small restaurants in Alexandria, but we would go back here. We enjoyed it.

1  Thank boxster12
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The food here is fantastic. I feel like anything you order here will be great, cooked to perfection. I have been here twice and though the service isn't the greatest (we will get to that in a second), the food is memorable. I have craved it for a long time after my first visit and finally got to go back with my fiance (who also praised the food). We had the pickles as appetizers which were delicious. The bread and sauces they serve you are quite delicious as well. We had the chicken and lamb kabobs with rice and they were juicy, tender, and full of flavor. In warmer months they have a few outdoor tables you can eat at and the inside if really quaint. Overall I would HIGHLY recommend this place however, the wait staff is hot and cold. When you first arrive they are on point and eager to serve but once you've settled in they hardly pay attention to you afterwards. You have to call for their attention in order to get them over BUT they are all really nice people.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I love Persian food and had always hoped a full-service Persian restaurant would open in Alexandria; and so when I heard about The Parsian, I decided to pay it a visit: I'm sorry to say that I was very disappointed.

Parsian is a small, one-level restaurant with 8 tables and a counter (no quarrells there!) The decor and the furnishing are rather shabby, though the staff is quite friendly and nice. The dinner plates are all small and made of melamine (plastic). I walked in and saw they had a buffet lunch, consisting of a salad platter and 4 warming cabinets (containers). The only thing they had on their buffet lunch ($9.99 excl. tax and drinks) was rice, ground beef and ground chicken kabobs; as well as Ghormeh Sabzi and Ghaymeh (stews). I tried the Kabobs and the meat was devoid of any consistency; it tasted dry and stale, and it was cold. I tried the stews and they were "warmer" and edible.

I asked for a Barg Chelo Kabob (Beef Kabob with rice.) Again, the food was served on a melamine plate; it was barely warm and again the meet lacked consistency, texture and flavor and it was on the dry side; not anything to write home about for $17.85 for one skewer of meat and some rice.

The total bill came to $32.08 (I was charged for the buffet, the Barg and $1.59 for a can of Diet Coke) and of course I added a 15% gratuity. But I have dined in other Persian restaurants in the area (like Shamshiry in Tysons Corner and Cafe Rose in Vienna) and their quality of food and inredients and their ambiance was far superior to Parsian and their pricing much more acceptable. I'm sorry but from my point of view, The Parsian is not a quality restaurant and won't last to compete with myriads of other great restaurants in Alexandria.

1  Thank ssmosley
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I simply love Old Town, and always revel in the pleasure of walking King Street to pick out a restaurant for a sumptuous meal. After living in Old Town 11 years, I always stay in the area during return trips to the DC area (I'm now living in Sacramento, CA). There are many great choices of restaurants on King Street, and many similar menus. For a change, I picked Parsian for a Sunday lunch and it was a very pleasurable and satisfying find. I tried a few menu items in this little Mediterranean gem that were totally unfamiliar to me...an appetizer pastry (Spicy Sambosad) and a Persion stew (Gheymeh), and each delighted for their taste, freshness, and uniqueness. In a manner similiar to a Mexican restaurant restaurant providing chips/salsa, the server Amir (who was outstandingly gracious and timely) brought fresh Nan bread (at least that's what it would be in an Indian restaurant) and two distinctly different and wonderful sauces for dipping. Yum....had to refrain from asking for more and suffering the carb loading. Service in this family owned restaurant was simply wonderful, and to top it off, the place is sparkling clean and has a lovely modernistic ambience. To top it off, it had to be one of the most reasonably priced meals I've ever had on King Street. The owner indicates they are going to open a lunch buffet soon for weekdays, so that will offer a wonderful opportunity (a la an Indian restaurant) for trying many unfamiliar dishes - I'm sure you'll find favorites.