“Tasty and reasonably priced”

Sam Phao Thai Cuisine
Ranked #98 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Not bad. Very good flavors. And excellent prices for King Street. We ordered green curry which wasn't the best that I have ever tasted but it was good. We also ordered the Kea Mao which was exceptional... Nice and spicy. Hotel recommended the place. We were happy. On a side note, this place is not fancy... So if you are trying to impress anyone, this may not be the place to go. If you are just catching up with an old friend, this place is perfect. Dinner entrees were around $10 -$12 each.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We have tried a few, but Sam Phao is our absolute favorite. My husband has been to Thailand about 16 times for work, so he is pretty picky when it comes to his Thai food. The food is delicious & the staff is so friendly. The prices are pretty good, especially for Old Town. The decor is pretty cheesy, but the food more than makes up for it. We have been so many times & have tried so many dishes and none of disappointed us yet.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Walking along King Street with a big lunch appetite, an out of town friend and I stopped in Sam Phao based on the number of people already inside, good reviews from another restaurant recommendation site, and our craving for Thai. We got very lucky. Although this is not the flashiest restaurant, it has a lot of charm and the food is excellent. We sat upstairs near a window, which on a warmer day would have been lovely but still allowed us a great view and let us people watch on a brisk Sunday afternoon. Our server recommended a special appetizer, which was like their crispy wonton except all vegetarian. It was great and served with a nice sauce. We then had two excellent entrees. I enjoyed the Pad Thai "J" with egg, and it was just the way I enjoy my Pad Thai - not too peanuty and with just enough spice. A great portion size too. My friend raved about his "Rama J", which was served in an excellent yellow curry sauce that he had never tried before and came away smitten with. I also thought it was very tasty and would go great on one of their rice dishes. We had an excellent server and we were warmly greeted and had a pleasant chat with what I assume was a manager or supervisor, too. I will be back, and with the Mrs. who loves Thai.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The food here is fantastic, however, they could use a good cleaning downstairs (we only ate downstairs) and maybe some updated decor. The service was great, reasonably priced. Best Thai food ever! I would definitely eat here again!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The food was good! Kids had the chicken noodle soup and shared a bowl. We had some left over! My wife had the coconut soup, and the Kea Mao. She enjoyed both, and we were glad We stopped by. We asked to split the soup for the kids when we ordered, and they brought out 1 large bowl and 2 empty bowls. It was a little difficult to split it into 2 bowls with the Thai soup spoons, but it was accomplished with some effort and a slight mess on the table:). The waitress did not write the order down, and she did forget to omit the cilantro, but the overall experience was good, the food was great! Seating was a little quaint (tight). Did not see a kids menu.