“Great Thai”

Cuisines: Thai
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great Thai”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Walking along King Street with a big lunch appetite, an out of town friend and I stopped in Sam Phao based on the number of people already inside, good reviews from another restaurant recommendation site, and our craving for Thai. We got very lucky. Although this is not the flashiest restaurant, it has a lot of charm and the food is excellent. We sat upstairs near a window, which on a warmer day would have been lovely but still allowed us a great view and let us people watch on a brisk Sunday afternoon. Our server recommended a special appetizer, which was like their crispy wonton except all vegetarian. It was great and served with a nice sauce. We then had two excellent entrees. I enjoyed the Pad Thai "J" with egg, and it was just the way I enjoy my Pad Thai - not too peanuty and with just enough spice. A great portion size too. My friend raved about his "Rama J", which was served in an excellent yellow curry sauce that he had never tried before and came away smitten with. I also thought it was very tasty and would go great on one of their rice dishes. We had an excellent server and we were warmly greeted and had a pleasant chat with what I assume was a manager or supervisor, too. I will be back, and with the Mrs. who loves Thai.

• Visited March 2013

Bethany Beach, DE
“Great food, could use an interior decorator”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The food here is fantastic, however, they could use a good cleaning downstairs (we only ate downstairs) and maybe some updated decor. The service was great, reasonably priced. Best Thai food ever! I would definitely eat here again!

• Visited March 2013
“Good noodle soup, and Kea Mao”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The food was good! Kids had the chicken noodle soup and shared a bowl. We had some left over! My wife had the coconut soup, and the Kea Mao. She enjoyed both, and we were glad We stopped by. We asked to split the soup for the kids when we ordered, and they brought out 1 large bowl and 2 empty bowls. It was a little difficult to split it into 2 bowls with the Thai soup spoons, but it was accomplished with some effort and a slight mess on the table:). The waitress did not write the order down, and she did forget to omit the cilantro, but the overall experience was good, the food was great! Seating was a little quaint (tight). Did not see a kids menu.

• Visited January 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1,383 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 3,901 helpful votes
“A new favorite!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

What a pleasant surprise! I've seen this place in Old Town for years but never went in until yesterday. With so many good Thai places in Old Town, I didn't expect this one to wow me, but they did! The food is tasty AND aesthetically appealing, the service is excellent, and the mango and sticky rice is one of the best I've ever had!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank QuickWhitTravel
Leesport, Pennsylvania
“Go for the flavors, not the decor.”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Hands down the best Thai food I have ever had in the states. Wonderful flavors in traditional Thai dishes and wonderful service by the staff. The decor is nothing special, but get passed the appearance and savor the food!

• Visited September 2012