“A new favorite!”

1,408 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 3,935 helpful votes
“A new favorite!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

What a pleasant surprise! I've seen this place in Old Town for years but never went in until yesterday. With so many good Thai places in Old Town, I didn't expect this one to wow me, but they did! The food is tasty AND aesthetically appealing, the service is excellent, and the mango and sticky rice is one of the best I've ever had!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank QuickWhitTravel

Leesport, Pennsylvania
“Go for the flavors, not the decor.”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Hands down the best Thai food I have ever had in the states. Wonderful flavors in traditional Thai dishes and wonderful service by the staff. The decor is nothing special, but get passed the appearance and savor the food!

• Visited September 2012
Jumpin' all over the world
“Not great”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We recently moved only a few blocks from this restaurant and I lived in Thailand for several years, so I was excited to be so near to a Thai restaurant. Unfortunately, I can only say the food was average at best. Also, the restaurant itself was sort of dingy, seemingly with no care put into decor or atmosphere. There are several other Thai restaurants in Old Town that we'll be trying, but I don't see any reason to return to Sam Phao.

• Visited June 2012
Tucson, Arizona
“Excellent Thai Food ... Good Price ... Good Location”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We we're in Alexandria, VA, during June 2012 and went back to this place 3 times! It's a small Mom-and-Pop sort of place - the upstairs dining room is larger but it'd struggle with a big crowd. The food, however, was excellent ... my wife even enjoyed it and she normally "suffers" Thai food just to satisfy my craving. We had the satay, fish cakes, penang, green curry and the chicken rama and everything was great. Worth a look and smack on the main King Street drag ... get a coupon for 10% off your bill in the tourist booklet provided on the *free* King Street trolley.

• Visited June 2012
Yorktown, VA
“Excellent food and service.”
Reviewed April 15, 2009

We love Thai food and this restaurant was as good as any we have tried. The only downside was we could not order alcohol as they had changed owners and had not gotten the new liquor license yet. But beer, wine and mixed drinks were on the menu, and should be available soon.