All reviews free laundry front desk full kitchen original hotel nice furniture burner stove close to mount vernon longer stay room was spacious close proximity stayed here for nights minute drive would stay again dishwasher unit kitchenette
Reviewed May 18, 2013

stayed 2 months and started to feel like home. staff and manager were great and very Receptive and egar to help out. Kyle and Marcus were very friendly very well stocked room with almost everything a person would need for their stay. only thing that I missed was a pool or hot tub to relaxin. other than that I would recommend this hotel to any one in the area.

Date of stay: April 2013
Danielle S, Manager at Candlewood Suites Alexandria - Fort Belvoir, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear phatnic8,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of the Candlewood Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir. We strive to provide stellar customer service and we’re glad we were able to meet your expectations. The next time you are in the area we look forward to being your “home away from home.”

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Lots of great facilities including, a gym, a barbecue area (with tools you can loan) a mini-kitchen DVD lending library & even toys for the kids.
The in room mini-kitchen was compact but included a fridge freezer, hob and microwave as well as a dishwasher (larger suites I think have an oven) it was great not to have to eat out every day.
The cleaning staff were great and even though it's advertised as a weekly service their were fresh towels daily.
Great place to stay!

• Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear NicolaWhit,

Thank you for you kind review of your recent stay at the Candlewood Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir. We’re glad that you were able to utilize our in suite kitchens. It is definitely a plus and healthier option to not have to eat out every day. The next time you are in the area, we hope you will choose us for your lodging needs!

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed at this Candlewood after leaving one from a different location the night before. This one we stayed just over a week. The room itself was very clean. The hallways were kept as clean as they could be, considering the guests they had I guess. I saw them mopping the lobby and elevator fairly regularly, but one guest kept coming in with dirty workboots and had them tracked across the rug in the hallway from the elevator to his door on my floor on several occasions. The beds are really comfortable, I liked the advantage of the free laundry room, and the full kitchen was a plus and one of the reasons I ended up picking this hotel. Someone else also mentioned the desk space, and I liked this because the desk area next to the tv was a great place to put your bag.

We were surprised to find out this Candlewood had daily housekeeping (according to the front desk anyway) because the last one did not. The other one did ONLY weekly, and if you wanted new sheets or towels you could bring down the dirty ones and replace them with new ones. Imagine coming back the first day after learning about this and finding out that these things had NOT been taken care of (that's fine, but when expecting something else, it was a bit annoying.) The guy at the front desk told me to bring down my towels and we could exchange them because, "Housekeeping didn't get to that side of the hotel today." Hmm, really? It was a bit odd. Like another review mentioned, housekeeping was a bit iffy. We did have our "do not disturb" sign up for a couple days, due to a sick child one day, and then me forgetting to take the sign down the following day when we left, but the other days, housekeeping only came half the time and I ended up still dragging towels down to the desk.

Which brings me to the people at the front desk. They were courteous and helped me with my numerous requests, but I could obviously tell they were annoyed I had interrupted them. There is a "wall" behind the front desk where the front desk employees sit until a few minutes later they seem to sense someone there waiting at the desk (if they have a camera to see someone there, they sure don't respond in a timely fashion, so I'm assuming there isn't one for back there) and come out from behind there. I had a sneaking suspicion they were back there on the Internet. I could have been wrong, they may have been back there doing work relating to the hotel, but I'm pretty sure my suspicions were confirmed one night that their time back there wasn't actually work-related when there were obvious sounds of "zapping" like would come off a video game if someone were shooting at something. I get it. If nobody's there it gets boring and they need something to do, but if that's the case I feel the employee needs to be visible to the customer. Also, I don't have a cell, so I had family calling through the main hotel line to connect to my room, and they all said whoever answered seemed annoyed to have to deal with transferring to my room. Maybe there was a separate line that should have been called and I was unaware of this? Really not sure on this one.

I'd say if you're going to use the Metro to get to the big city (our main reason for being in this area) most definitely plan on having a car (I say this because I almost decided to not keep the rental we had, thinking we'd get by without it, but I really don't think that will work for this area.) The Huntington Metro is fairly quick and easy to get to from here (about 15 mins) so I'd definitely plan on going with that station if you're looking into that.

Overall though I'd have to say it was a decent stay for the main purpose of having a nice room to sleep in. Just a few minor blips occurred to bring down my rating.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank Time4UhVacashun

Dear Time4UhVacashun,

Thank you for taking time to review your most recent stay at the Candlewood Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir. We’re happy that you utilized and enjoyed some of the many amenities we have to offer. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you had during your stay. Feel free to contact me directly at the hotel or via email danielle.smith@baywoodhotels.com so we can further discuss any concerns you may have. Once again, thank you for your comments. With feedback such as yours, we can only improve and grow.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed for just two nights so cannot give a long term prospective, however, for my length of stay it was very comfortable.
Odd shaped parking lot but managed to always find a space. Lobby and hallways are immaculate. Hotel and room brand new and nicely laid out, especially the desk space. Plenty of lighting for a nice change! Internet worked strong and you do not need an advanced dregree to get into the wireless network. TV might have been a 37" and plenty of channels for every taste. Everything was clean and everything worked fine for me. Front desk staff was friendly and attentive. Would stay again and recommend.

• Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear panther61,

Thank you so much for such a kind review. We’re happy that you enjoyed every aspect of our hotel. Hopefully the next time you are in the area you will choose the Candlewood Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir for your lodging needs. See you soon!

Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

The positives:
- interior corridors were clean
- property was well maintained outside, newly renovated
- laundry room with free machines was a nice perk
- location
The negative:
- beds that were advertised as queens were doubles, very narrow
- hair dryer did not work
- housekeeping service, even as advertised (light touch) was sketchy at best. One day they took the trash, the next day the trash was left in the room. Beds never made. Some linens left in room but not a complete set. There was never enough toiletry items left and had to make several trips to the front desk to replenish.
Bottom line- for the price point, keep looking.

Date of stay: April 2013
1  Thank ncbunnie
Kyle E, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Alexandria - Fort Belvoir, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear ncbunnie,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Candlewood Suites Alexandria Fort Belvoir. It is good to know that you enjoyed some of the amenities we have to offer. Thank you for bringing the issue you had during your stay to our attention. Without feedback from our guest we would be unable to improve our service. We hope that you will give us another chance to make this up to you in the future. You may reach me at 703-780-1111 if you would like to discuss your most recent stay. Once again thank you!