“Food is great here!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Food is great here!”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I've been to El Paso in Springfield, VA and so when I was nearby I thought I'd try this, their second location. It was the end of a very long morning and I very much looked forward to an excellent lunch.

The building is beautiful, clean, and appears to be rather new. The interior was very nicely decorated and definitely had a Mexican feel to it. Signs were all professional and squarely placed, and the floors were free of any debris.

Tables and chairs were in excellent repair and kept clean at all times. I was seated right away in a room with a few other customers in it. I was placed in a nice location, and the waiter came by to take my drink and lunch order.

My order was a ground beef Chimichanga with two sides of beans instead of one bean side one rice side. The server put the order in, and came back with my drink right away, along with some fresh chips and salsa.

My plate arrived in a timely fashion, and I noted by this time almost all of the customers had left. There was only me and one other table. The plate brought to me was very beautifully presented and I was very impressed that they substituted my second order of beans with whole black beans instead of a large plateful of re-fried beans. I was delighted!!! I only wish I had taken a picture for you because they did a really nice job.

I did a taste of both of the beans - EXCELLENT! I cut the chimi, and I have to say that it was only very slightly crispy and mostly rubbery. I did not let this bother me. However, I then noted that the inside was shredded beef instead of the ground beef I ordered.

My server did not come around to check on me although others came and left the room. Finally I caught his attention and pointed out the error. He apologized and took the plate from me. A few minutes later he came back with another identical looking plate. Again, very appetizing, colorful and presentable.

This time the chimi had been cooked a little longer and was crispy as I was expecting! The flavors were great - and it had the right beef!

I enjoyed my meal extremely at this location! Everything tasted fresh and authentic.

However, my server never did come back after the plate was presented to me. I was done for more than ten minutes and becoming pressed for time. I waited and did not see any employees. There was at least one other table in the room and I was surprised no one was checking. It got to the point that I got up from the table and began to wander through the restaurant looking for ANY one to assist me. I looked through all the rooms to no avail.

Finally I wandered to the bar area and an employee noticed me. He was eager to assist me and handed me a box and the check right away. He took care of my financial transaction as well in a correct manner.

Bottom line - I am not sure if my experience was just a few oversights on their part or not. However - I will let you know that the food was delicious and the value for lunch was excellent. I would definitely come back to try again!!

(so sorry I have no picture - my phone died by the end of my meal!!)

• Visited July 2014
7 Thank Christine H

“Family friendly restaurant!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I've been to 2 El Paso's... you would never think it was a chain. And maybe it's not... but I've been to the one on Fairfax and the one on Cooper Rd. Both had fabulous staff and the food was delicious. Great jalapeno margaritas, btw!!!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank RedMaggie09
“A family favorite”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This a reasonably priced restaurant with very good "Mexico Border" food. We eat here several times a year. The staff is friendly and accommodating, the atmosphere is conducive to both casual eating and special occasions, and the salsa is fabulous.

• Visited February 2014
“Good Tex-Mex”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My family eats both "in" and "out" at this restaurant. Food here is what I consider Tex-Mex, not "true" Mexican, though could be it's what is eaten near the border in the Southwest (e.g., near El Paso!). Regardless, the staff is friendly and the setting, casual. More importantly, the food is a good version of its type. One warning, when carrying out, check the order before driving away. I have the feeling that the kitchen staff is less adept in English than are the order takers; when we've had problems, though, things were always made right quickly and happily.

• Visited June 2014
Sacramento, California
“food poisoning”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Four of us ate here on Mother's Day and 3 of us got food poisoning. Two of us were on vacation, so missed a good portion of our trip due to throwing up and diarrhea. Not a fun experience and would advise you don't eat here.

• Visited May 2014