“Great place to see a concert”
Review of The Birchmere

The Birchmere
Ranked #1 of 11 Nightlife in Alexandria
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We've seen a number of shows here, including Asleep at the Wheel, Robin Trower, and Bellydance Superstars. It's a small venue, so there are no bad seats. The food is good, but a bit pricy.

Reviewed July 21, 2011

Great venue to listen to music. Room has some accoustics, but good sight lines. Salmon was excellent, so was thee apple pie. Staff was very attenttive,

Reviewed July 20, 2011

I was at a show at The Olde Silk Miill in Fredericksburg Va last Sunday and a Band member told me If I like the Silk Mill I should check ot the Birchmere .Next day I Went to see Jonny Lang at The Birchmere Great show , Great Venue! I read some mixed reviews and was concerned what I was getting for my ticket price.
We could not be happier.Had seats on the asile great view of band.Then on the side of us and behind us the floor was raised so there was a good view for everyone.The menu had a lot of choices reasonably priced.I recomend trying the mango cole slaw that comes with the mexican tostada.The service was great my glass was never empty.
The audience was captivated you could hear a pin drop.Good Food Good Drink Good music Good Sound lighting etcI crossed this off my bucket list but I am not ready to go anywhere ..I want to go back to see another show.Thanks Birchmere You set the bar high for other music Venue's
Can't believe I didn't hear about it sooner I will pass the word !!

1  Thank whelaneman
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Overall the Birchmere is a good venue and has lots of really good entertainers. In fact, you could just go without knowing the acts and be assured that whoever they are .... they are good. Last night, we saw Todd Snider with Marshall Chapman and the show was incredible.

The only reason we don't go more often is because of the seating. They do not have assigned seating, so if you want to pick your seat, you have to arrive at 5pm for a "line number" for when the doors open at 6pm for a show that doesn't start until 7:30. In other words, you have to arrive 2 1/2 hours before the show starts! This is not a good way to treat ones customers.

They may be attempting to get people in the doors early so they can spend money at the bar or this system may have been designed to keep people from spending a lot of time standing in line. A simpler solution would be to institute assigned seating either by table assignments or by individual seat assignments.

As others have mentioned, some seats face the stage, some are catycorner to stage, and some have their back to the stage. These issues are generally solved by simply turning one's chair to face stage. The issue is having to arrive 2 1/2 hours early to get a "good seat".

Great entertainment, poor seating solution.

BTW... food service was very fast and food was good. I had Fish taco and hubby had grilled salmon.... both excellent.

1  Thank mai2centsworth
Reviewed May 7, 2011

Picked up our tickets at 5pm at will call and got a seating number. From 5 to 6 we a beer at the bar. Numbers were called at 6pm and we chose our table. Waitresses took dinner orders right away and we were done with dinner before the show started. You should probably order a pitcher of wine or beer like we did. The ladies get busy and you don't see them much. It worked out perfectly. The stage is RIGHT there and the sound is great. Super intimate setting and I was shocked by the quality of bands that have played there.