“Disappointed with shawarma and service”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Description: http://www.yelp.com/biz/mediterranean-bakery-and-cafe-alexandria
Description: http://www.yelp.com/biz/mediterranean-bakery-and-cafe-alexandria
Waupaca, Wisconsin
“Disappointed with shawarma and service”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I have visited this store off and one for about four years. They certainly have a wide selection of Mediterranean items. Roaming the aisles is a food lovers dream. I have always been pleased with their bakery items. There are two or three different baklavas, all of which are wonderful. I also like their fresh feta cheese and olives. They never hesitate to give a sample.

During my last lunch visit however, I decided to try the beef shawarma. The menu says the beef is thinly cut. It wasn't! It was thick, dry, and tough. Even though the pita bread was clearly fresh, it was difficult to eat because of the awful meat. I tore off some of the bread to cut down on the dryness, but it didn't improve the taste. Add to that stale pita chips and flat Diet Coke, and I was thoroughly disappointed. So I decided to get some items from the fresh food counter and look forward to having them at home for dinner. The young lady behind the counter either didn't speak English or acted like she didn't. I asked her which of the olives were pitted and which weren't; she didn't seem to understand. I asked her for two meat samosas and two cheese, she again didn't understand. Finally an older woman who I recognize from previous visits came over to assist and gave me a sample of the pitted olives. When I tried to tell the young girl I wanted some of the olives I had sampled, she took them from a different container and I knew they contained pits! I tried to explain I wanted pitted olives; she didn't understand! It was very frustrating. This time a man came over, they spoke to each other, he dumped the olives she had in my container into the wrong container, which meant she couldn't communicate with him either! I cannot comprehend how a young girl, I would guess she is in her 20's, could work in a bakery and speak so little English. Finally I got to the counter to pay for several items, including the fresh items explained above, and found out when I got home that I was double charged for the olives.

Because of my previous, more positive experiences here, I will probably try the bakery again. However, I won't order beef shawarma, I will make sure to order from someone with better English skills, and I will watch the check-out process more closely! It shouldn't be so hard to make a purchase!

• Visited September 2012