“Wonderful Sojourn in Old Town”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed December 20, 2010

On our way down to visit our grandkids in Florida, my husband and I stopped in Alexandria, VA for the night and what a pleasant visit that was. Trip started out badly with a 'surprise snow squall' but it gave the town a Charles Dickens look that definitely lent itself to the time of year. Hotel was convenient to everything; we took the trolley downtown and enjoyed the sights, the restaurants, etc. and didn't have to worry about parking. Rooms were large and comfortable and we will definitely return to this hotel and town again. Breakfast buffet was wonderful; best I've seen in a Residence Inn and we will definitely recommend this hotel to our friends. Thanks for the wonderrful time!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sthomas0616
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street

Reviewed December 3, 2010

We considered this hotel to have pretty good value. We stayed 5 days, and here are the
pros and cons:

PROS: Great location. You can walk all over Old Town, and altho it is several blocks to
the waterfront, a person in average physical health should have no problems. There is
also a free King Street trolley. G. Washington Masonic Memorial is inspiring.
Nice hotel room - very comfortable beds & pillows. Kitchenette is roomy. No stove, but
new refrig, microwave, dishwasher. Kitchen basics are adequate & clean.
This hotel accepts dogs, so if you don't like dogs, or have allergies, this is not the hotel
for you. The dogs we saw were well behaved & quiet, and there were quite a few.
Breakfast is included, and quite substantial. Eggs, waffles, cereal, fruit, yogurt, juices.
CONS: Breakfast begins at 7:00, so all those people needing to catch an early flight missed breakfast. Parking is not included. Our charge was $104 per nite, with parking another $18 per nite. However, there is some metered parking across the street, which is free on weekends, and we used that a couple of nights. If you have an average sized American car, or an SUV or van, you will have a rough time in the parking garage, as evidenced by the hundreds of wall scrapes. Talk about tight!!
The pool area says "Pool and Whirlpool" but HA - there is no whirlpool at this hotel !
Other than that, it has cheery & helpful staff, and our stay was
pleasant. Good restaurants in the area.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Mimzoo
Reviewed November 27, 2010

We stayed a week over the Thanksgiving holiday. The hotel is a quick two block walk to the metro and the downtown sightseeing. The rooms are large, well-appointed, with a fully stocked kitchen and a market a block away. The self laundry is on the second floor, and is enormous and clean. There is a small indoor pool. The daily breakfast buffet has great variety and good food; on Mon-Thurs, the hotel also provides a hot dinner (chicken and rice, for example) in a buffet format in the lobby, which is extremely convenient for tourists tired from a long day of museum-hopping. The hotel also is very moderately priced. In short, this is a perfect hotel for families in the DC area and I would absolutely stay here again. A real winner.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank hazelcrestmom
Reviewed November 3, 2010

We came to the DC area for a family wedding, so stayed at the Residence Inn for 6 nights so we could take in some of the DC wonders. It's just a great hotel: very pleasant staff, the Metro very handy, breakfast just fine and light dinner meals several night. They kindly checked us in very early and placed us close to our other family members. We will definitely return to this Marriott - it exceeded my high expectations!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We stayed there for four nights. The staff is very friendly and the service is 4+*. One of the main things we found to be extremely convenient was their shuttle service. They were always available within 10 minutes, and were extremely accomodating as long as you stayed within about a mile to mile and a half from the hotel. Walkng in "old town" can be a little tricky at times with the uneven brick sidewalks with uneven surfaces and slight variations in height(probably due to tree roots), on both sides of the streets." Old town" Alexandria is definitely a walking town, with many sights to be seen. The hotel is only about a 6-8 minute walk from the Metro station.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MYSTERH
Reviewed October 24, 2010

One reason I picked this hotel when staying in Alexandria for a family affair was that I read the positive review just below this - now for the first time I am writing my own review ! ! I have travelled all over in 35 years of biz travel, and the staff at this hotel is unsurpassed - they really do make you feel very welcome. We arrived at 11:00 at night and were greeeted and the desk with a welcoming smile. We were hungry but had no expectations - 20 minutes later they had a great pizza delivered. The front desk girl (I wish I had asked for her name!) asked if we wanted anything with it, then quickly found us a bottle of decent wine, a corkscrew, glasses, napkins etc...and we had a nice midnight snack in the breakfast room. My 90 year old parents were wth us, and - without any request from me - an effort was made to place them near the lift to limit their walk. Very accomodating.! The room was spacious and clean, also above expectations - the breakfast better and more varied than most (even some procellain cups and plates - my wife hates the plastic everywhere...). But most impressive was the stafff - I have never felt more welcome, and I have stayed in many 5 star hotels.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank hoellviken
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Stay away from this hotel!!!! Just kidding, I'm just afraid they will be booked more heavily in the future and I won't get in here. I travel to DC about once every 2 months and stay in this hotel most of the time.

This hotel is convenient not only to the metro but also to the free. Most everything in Old Town Alexandria is within a quick walk of this hotel's front door. The King Street Metro station is less than a 5 minute walk from the front door along with many restaurants and even whole foods.

The hotel is clean, the beds are comfortable, and the rooms are spacious. All the rooms I have been in had desks, sofas, and kitchenettes. There is a laundry and gym on the second floor. The free breakfast is okay, but gets old after you have stayed in Marriott Residence Inns 75 times in one year. (The breakfast is exactly the same in all of them!)

Parking can be a bit tight (and pricey) since the garage seems to fill up on busy weekends and week nights. The free WiFi is VERY slow sometimes and makes me long for dial-up. The beds are not as comfy as I would like, but almost as good as my bed at home.

When I stay in this hotel for work, our corporate travel planner does the reservations. I have generally found I could have saved a few bucks by booking through Trip Advisor.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business