“Excellent stay”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We stayed there for four nights. The staff is very friendly and the service is 4+*. One of the main things we found to be extremely convenient was their shuttle service. They were always available within 10 minutes, and were extremely accomodating as long as you stayed within about a mile to mile and a half from the hotel. Walkng in "old town" can be a little tricky at times with the uneven brick sidewalks with uneven surfaces and slight variations in height(probably due to tree roots), on both sides of the streets." Old town" Alexandria is definitely a walking town, with many sights to be seen. The hotel is only about a 6-8 minute walk from the Metro station.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MYSTERH
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street

Reviewed October 24, 2010

One reason I picked this hotel when staying in Alexandria for a family affair was that I read the positive review just below this - now for the first time I am writing my own review ! ! I have travelled all over in 35 years of biz travel, and the staff at this hotel is unsurpassed - they really do make you feel very welcome. We arrived at 11:00 at night and were greeeted and the desk with a welcoming smile. We were hungry but had no expectations - 20 minutes later they had a great pizza delivered. The front desk girl (I wish I had asked for her name!) asked if we wanted anything with it, then quickly found us a bottle of decent wine, a corkscrew, glasses, napkins etc...and we had a nice midnight snack in the breakfast room. My 90 year old parents were wth us, and - without any request from me - an effort was made to place them near the lift to limit their walk. Very accomodating.! The room was spacious and clean, also above expectations - the breakfast better and more varied than most (even some procellain cups and plates - my wife hates the plastic everywhere...). But most impressive was the stafff - I have never felt more welcome, and I have stayed in many 5 star hotels.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank hoellviken
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Stay away from this hotel!!!! Just kidding, I'm just afraid they will be booked more heavily in the future and I won't get in here. I travel to DC about once every 2 months and stay in this hotel most of the time.

This hotel is convenient not only to the metro but also to the free. Most everything in Old Town Alexandria is within a quick walk of this hotel's front door. The King Street Metro station is less than a 5 minute walk from the front door along with many restaurants and even whole foods.

The hotel is clean, the beds are comfortable, and the rooms are spacious. All the rooms I have been in had desks, sofas, and kitchenettes. There is a laundry and gym on the second floor. The free breakfast is okay, but gets old after you have stayed in Marriott Residence Inns 75 times in one year. (The breakfast is exactly the same in all of them!)

Parking can be a bit tight (and pricey) since the garage seems to fill up on busy weekends and week nights. The free WiFi is VERY slow sometimes and makes me long for dial-up. The beds are not as comfy as I would like, but almost as good as my bed at home.

When I stay in this hotel for work, our corporate travel planner does the reservations. I have generally found I could have saved a few bucks by booking through Trip Advisor.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2010

A solid hotel--clean, near a Whole Foods, near the Metro. Missing some fancier/nice touches--the hairdryer is old, there is no contacts mirror, the tv is large and new but runs slowly and does not carry AMC (fyi, to those who watch 'Mad Men'!). Staff was very friendly. I stayed at a hotel in Arlington the year before and found that a little more modern and nicer than this one--though this was fine.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2010

My husband I stayed here for the weekend as we did some sightseeing at the Smithsonian and National Zoo. The hotel is convenient to a Whole Foods and there are several other restaurants within walking distance. Also, we walked to the metro station at King Street. The hotel breakfast was good - decent food and a good variety of choices. The room was clean, spacious, and comfortable. Overall a positive experience.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank TrvlDreamer
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Returning to the Old Town area of Alexandria, and this is a great place to stay. The location is great - just a block or two from Metro, a few blocks from anything in old Town.

The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable. Our rate was outstanding this trip (AAA), and breakfast was free and a definite upgrade from usual hotel breakfasts. The parking garage was convenient and easy to use (although expect $18/day charge). Free Internet... nice!

We would return here, and recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2010

The Hotel was just as good as someone told me it was going to be. I had Room 810 with a corner view top floor and it was great. I was able to see the Washington Monument from my bed. The overall experience was good. The Beds were very comfortable and that was a pleasent surprise. The only things I would change were that the breakfast was not as good as I expected and ended too early. M-F 7am to 9am and Sat and Sun ends 9:30. With kids not getting out early enough to eat was a problem but with a wonderful Whole Foods supermarket just 2 short blocks away it was easy to stock up the fridge with bagles and all sorts of snacks. It is a easy walk to the train and a very safe place to stay. Parking was easy and more reasonable than some other hotels in the area. Free wifi was great and it was quiet. The pool was small but the kids still enjoyed it. Overall it was a nice stay and if I had to do it over I made the right choice. I had a 2 bedroom suite with 2 full baths and a livingroom. Perfect for kids all the room you could need.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family