WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Nyack, New York
“Clean, Like New, Good Location, Convenient Parking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

I stayed at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town on June 24. On check-in, I found the front staff to be very friendly, and helpful when I asked for directions to a specific street address.

The room seemed just about new, and the full kitchen had plenty of glasses, dishes, pots and pans, and silverware. The kitchen table was comfortable, and had plenty of room for working an reading.

The wi-fi was snappy. The room was quiet.

The location was great for access to the highway, and to the main thoroughfare in Old Town, which is King Street.

There is a parking garage on-site, which costs $22. The garage has a level that has direct access to the hotel.

My only complaint was that the couch in the living room was uncomfortable. The cushions caved in and deflated as soon as I sat on them. That was a bit disappointing and uncomfortable.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear RogerNyack,

Thank you for sharing your feedback concerning your recent stay at our hotel. We were glad to read that you enjoyed your experience and found our hotel to be clean, the staff friendly and that you had great access to King Street/Old Town. If I can ever be of assistance with a future stay please do not hesitate to contact me.

Safe Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

Took our grandson to see DC
We were welcomed back by the Hotel Front Desk staff; Tenitia & Nadjet are
so gracious & professional. They took special effort to greet our grandson
and we appreciated that. Our visit was great - the hotel remains our very
favorite. It is not only clean and comfortable but once again it is the
hotel staff that make it so appealing. Everyone is just so nice and helpful
Mekonen , our van driver, is always so personable and does a great job
of helping us get around town. The food service staff do a wonderful job
& we always look forward to seeing Netle each time we return. She is great
Proximity of the Metro station is real plus. King Street is so close and the
Waterfront offers the option of reaching DC by water taxi which takes us to Georgetown -
from there, the heart of DC is a simple $1.00 Circulator Bus fee.
We go over to DC by the Metro train and come back on the water taxi - a most
enjoyable cruise on a summer evening.

Room Tip: Front rooms have a terrific view. From high front rooms you can see the Washington Monument. Hotel i...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank rmcPhiladelphiaPA
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hello rmcPhiladelphiaPA,

Thank you so much for the kind words about our team. I am looking forward to sharing this with them all during our daily team meeting (Huddle as we call it). We appreciate you allowing us to have an opportunity to be a part of your special experience with your grandson. Please let us know if we can ever be of assistance in the future and we hope to see you again when your plans bring you back to the DC area.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

This hotel needs a refurbishment as it doesn't look as though it has been updated and decorated for a while. However, we still enjoyed our stay. The room was huge, with a lounge area and kitchenette.

Location is good. Five mins walk to King Street Metro to go into DC (doesn't take too long). Alexandria itself is lovely. Found some great restaurants and shops on and around King Street. Free trolley bus is good too, an easy way to get down to the busier parts of the town.

Breakfast was nothing special, but was included, which was good.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Elliequie,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with our hotel. We are glad that you found the suites to be spacious and appreciate the feedback concering the decor. We hope to see you again in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying the staff here is great, but as a marketing professional I want to send a loud message to Marriott that this property needs room refurbishing. The chair I am sitting in has scarred arms that have been covered up with ill-fitting fake leather covers. The couch sags and feels dirty. Honestly, feels like I am in a trailer. The location is excellent which is why we booked and we are top level in the Elite program, so we usually get great rooms. The room layout is fine but the cheap and dirty furniture is terrible! I know Marriott is working to refresh their overall brand image .....start here and fast. BTW the new Hyatt Place facilities are amazing - I will not be booking with Marriott for this hotel concept (residences) until I am sure they are improved.

Again, super location and terrific staff. I am sure the staff would like to see a facelift here.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Gail G
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Hello Gail G,

Thank you for sharing your feedback concerning your recent visit to our hotel. I was happy to hear that you found our staff and location to be great assets. We also appreciate your input concerning conditions of the hotel and we will certainly take this into consideration for future property improvements. If I may be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly at jeremy.mccluskey@marriott.com.

Kensington, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

We are frequent Marriott users and had a single night here recently due to a mess up on a house rental in DC. We decided to stay in Alexandria for the night to see the Old Town (which is touristy but cute) and then we'd head into DC for the "magical history tour" with our kids. This large Residence Inn is quite tired. The fold out couch for our 12 year old was lumpy when it was folded and really bad opened. Sheets were too small to tuck in, towels were very tired, carpets needed deep cleaning and the facility was generally average at best. Service on the other hand was great. We wouldn't pick this place again unless they refurb'ed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Martin D,

We hope that your vacation and magical history tour of DC with your family was one you all enjoyed and will remember for years to come. Thank you for allowing us to have an opportunity to be a part of it. I was glad to hear that the service you experienced was great. We also appreciate the feedback you provided about the property as we are consistently looking for opportunities to improve and your comments are very helpful as approach future plans for the hotel. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was a little disappointed. In a one bedroom suite, the couch was broken so lounging was out. The easy chair was missing the foot stool kept under the table. In all I sat on the bed to watch TV between meetings.

Breakfast was fine but not up to the normal par for any Marriott or even this venue, which I have stayed at several times.

I'll continue using this hotel and look forward to its former high quality.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your feedback concerning your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate you coming back based on your comment that you had stayed previously. Being new to the hotel myself I welcome any feedback you may have in addition to your comments already shared. I can be reached at jeremy.mccluskey@marriott.com. Please let me know if I may ever be of assistance to you with a future stay as well.

Safe Travels
indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Originally I could only book 1 night of my 2 night trip at this hotel due to conventions, and it was a 2 BR suite. I arrived at 1 pm and asked if I could check in early. The desk clerk (whose name I didn't get) was very polite and after conferring with his manager, asked if I wanted a1 BR suite for half the price since I was traveling alone. Of course! I asked for a quiet room and was given a very spacious corner suite with alot of natural light. Later that afternoon I asked Tanitia if there were cancellations for the following night and she said no. To my surprise, she called my room a couple hours later and said I would be able to stay in the same room for an additional night. This was a huge positive as my business destination was only a block away. Several other employees I encountered during my visit gave big smiles and greetings...this was noticeably "different" as I stay in hotels about 6 times per year. So....staff gets an "awesome" rating!

Super quiet clean room is important to me. The bed and bath linens were perfectly clean including the extra blanket in the closet. As has been noted, the furniture is rather dated which I expected. I did have the red "pleather" chair with cracks as another traveler mentioned. If I were the manager, I would put this chair in the trash immediately; it is an eyesore and makes the place seem shabbier than it is. Also, I sat on the sofabed watching tv for a few hours and the smell of the sofa bothered me so I covered it with towels...not fresh or clean smelling at all. I suggest heavy duty cleaning or replacement. On the plus side, the spaciousness of the suite and the kitchen were great. Free dinner during the week was ok (salad and bbq sandwich plus 2 alcoholic drinks max) and great free hot breakfast with fresh fruit, pastries, eggs, potatos, waffles etc allowed me to save even more money for my company.
Location is fantastic, easy walking to Metro and sights of Alexandria. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank indy25
Jeremy M, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hello indy25,

I was so glad to hear that Tanitia and the rest of our team were able to take great care of you. I look forward to sharing your comments with her and the rest of our team. Thank you also for sharing your thoughts about the room. If your travels ever bring you back to the Old Town Alexandria area again in the future we hope you will keep us in mind.