“Wonderful place to stay”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street
Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Wonderful place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2008

The Residence Inn Oldtown could not have been a better place to stay to visit both Oldtown and DC, and only two Metro stops from Reagan National. We were 3 or 4 blocks from the Metro and then a 10 minute ride into DC. The hotel has a shuttle which will take you anywhere in Oldtown within a 1-mile radius and then all you have to do is call for pickup. The staff was the friendliest I have ever encountered at a hotel. The breakfast each morning was really good. My husband and I, and our 11-year-old grandson stayed in a one-bedroom suite for $175 per night. I couldn't come close to this price anywhere in DC. I can see why this hotel is number 1 on this site.

• Liked — Its location.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Korean first
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2008

I stayed at the Residence Inn Old Town for four nights at the end of September. The only evidence of renovation during my stay was a sign near the elevator saying the new fitness equipment would be installed in October.

I agree with everything the previous reviewer stated about the pleasant staff, quiet and clean hotel, and the good location in relation to the metro and Old Town shops and restaurants.

However, I did not have a car since I flew into Reagan Airport. Not knowing where I was going I took a cab from the airport which cost $18 with tip. When I left I took the metro which cost $1.80 and was only two stops from the hotel. Even with some heavy luggage it was easy to do with escalators everywhere and just a short walk into the terminal (terminal A). One thing to be aware of is that the metro doesn't start running until 7 a.m. so if you have an early flight you'll need to take a cab. Coming from NY it never occured to me the metro didn't run 24 hours a day but the hotel staff advised me on the times which only impacted my travel plans on one day when I was at the metro gate at 7.

I also used the hotel shuttle every day. It never took more than a few minutes for the shuttle to arrive. The driver gave me the hotel card the first time I rode with him and I called whenever I needed a lift. Since the weather was rainy during most of my visit the shuttle was busy. One thing to know is that the shuttle doesn't start running until 8 a.m. and stops at 10 p.m. (I think) so if you plan to use it you'll need to be careful of your time.

I often took the shuttle into Old Town and then walked back after dinner. Walking along King Street is fun with all the interesting shops and the two blocks over to Duke to the hotel were well lighted if not as populated. Even as a single woman walking alone I always felt safe.

One thing I especially appreciated about this Residence Inn was their agreement with a restaurant next door, LaPorta's, to provide room service to their guests. I returned to the hotel after 10 one rainy night without having dinner and was able to call the restaurant to order an entree, dessert and a bottle of wine (the wine is half price to Residence Inn guests). It arrived in about 20 minutes and was very good. I ate lunch at LaPorta's the first day I arrived and enjoyed the meal and another time stopped by for a drink and some excellent live jazz. It definitely enhances this Residence Inn.

All and all I was very pleased with the hotel and would stay here again when visiting Alexandria.

• Liked — Helpful, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Shuttle not starting until 8 a.m.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Durham, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

Based upon the other tripadvisor reviews, we booked the Residence Inn Old Town for a weekend getaway from August 21-24. As always, the other reviews were helpful.

First, a warning, the mapquest and yahoo travel directions are a bit misleading if you are coming from south of DC. The directions tell you to get on I-495 but, instead, you should just remain on I-95. Not a big deal, though, as we easily found the hotel anyway.

The hotel is almost finished with an interior renovation so the lobby, breakfast area, etc. had a few issues (paint/wallpaper off the walls, construction noise, etc.). According to information located within the elevators, they still need to finish the lobby and floors 2 and 3 including the exercise room. But, this was just a minor inconvenience.

The check-in process was a breeze and the desk staff was always helpful with directions and suggestions. Our first night, there were power outages on the block (unrelated to the hotel renovation) and the staff did a good job of notifying the guests. On-site parking was in a garage behind the hotel that seemed to have a limited number of spaces (partly due to spaces being taken by construction materials) and many of the spaces were quite tight. The garage was gated with access by key card only so you felt secure in leaving some items in your car. I question the need for the $15 per night fee but it was much more reasonable than the $40 per night parking fee (with valet, though) I paid at a Marriott property in Philadelphia.

Our room was on the 8th floor (top floor) and was beautifully decorated with a modern feel. There were granite (likely faux but still nice) countertops in the kitchen, a leather chaise which pulled out to an extra bed, a sitting chair, small coffee table, small leather ottoman, breakfast table for 2 (where we ate our snacks and lunches), and a queen bed. Given all of the renovations, I was a bit surprised that a console TV had not been replaced with either a plasma or LCD. The bedding was comfortable and we slept well each night. Our room faced a parking lot and a few shops though we also had a view of the Masonic Temple. I’m a neat freak and thought the room and entire hotel were clean.

Included in the cost of the hotel is a breakfast buffet. The buffet included cereals, bagels, toast, make-you-own waffles, eggs, potatoes, sausage (one day only), yogurt, and fruit. It was not great but it was better than just an ordinary continental breakfast. More breakfast meats would be appreciated.

As others noted, the hotel was only a 2 block walk to the Metro station for easy travel into downtown DC without having to worry about parking or traffic. Further, Old Town was only 4 blocks away with loads of restaurants, historic sites, bars, and nightlife. Mt. Vernon was also an easy 15 minute drive from the hotel.

We will be staying at this hotel on future jaunts to the DC area.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, comfort
  • Disliked — Pool, parking cost
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jsb23nc
Tirana, Albania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2008

As always, the Marriott provided excellent service. The staff was friendly and helpful. Hotel is located near the Metro and is in the heart of Old Town Alexandria. It was like a home away from home. Pets are allowed here and there is a washer/dryer on site.

• Liked — Washer and dryer on site; pets allowed
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Detroit, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

Everything about this hotel was EXCELLENT! They just remodeled the rooms and they are so cool. This hotel makes you fell like you are at home. My family and I didn't want to leave!
The rooms were very cozy. I loved them. Everything is very modern. I loved it!
It was very easy to check-in. All of the employees' were very, very caring and they gave you every bit of information that you need to know. They treated you like you were at home.
Like I said before, my family and I didn't want to leave. I wanted to cry! Everyone and everything was very nice. I would definatlly recommend this to everyone that is going to visit Alexandria, VA!

• Liked — comfort and cleanliness
  • Disliked — no restaurants
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Little rock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

Stayed from June 28 to July 5. Second stay for my wife and I. Another outstanding experience Metro close by, Whole foods next door. No need for car. Great staff. We love the place.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Allows dogs
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2008

Our family of four recently stayed at this hotel (June 29th to July 3rd) and thought it was wonderful. The proximity to both the metro station at King Street and the Whole Foods market was great (even the market was impressive!). We had a 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom suite which was very roomy and provided 3 TVs for us to use after spending 3 exhausting days in Washington DC. The breakfasts offered a lot of variety for the kids. The staff was friendly - the first day we arrived, our room wasn't ready so they offered us a shuttle ride down to the waterfront. You don't need a car if you are touring DC and Alexandria. The free trolley bus runs frequently up King Street and allows you to jump on and off whenever you want. We didn't utilize the indoor pool (rather small) but we did use the laundry facilities to prepare for the continuation of our trip. Having a kitchen in the room is nice as an option to eating out or keeping snacks around. Overall, this hotel was clean and well maintained. It works well if you don't mind not having quick access to DC spots in the evenings.

• Liked — Proximity to Metro and downtown Alexandria
  • Disliked — Internet access in room didn't work
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family