“A Real Let Down”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I will start out with a positive comment as it goes down hill from there. The location of this hotel was great being close to Old Town and only a couple blocks from the King Street Metro and most of the staff was great! I really appreciate the shuttle driver taking us to Old Town Proper even though we were cutting it close to the 8:30 cut off time (which I did think was a bit early to cut off shuttle service) That being said I was really let down with the rest of the stay. Over the years I know that not every room looks like it does in the pictures but this was a bit more than the average "difference". For what we paid a night I would have been better off just getting a normal hotel room without the kitchen as this room was tiny! It seemed like they crammed everything that was promised into this awkward, tiny space. When we unfolded the sleeper sofa my husband couldn't even get out of our bed from his side as the bottom of the sleeper sofa was touching our bed. The whole room was like this and our view was looking into the rooms across the lower roof of the hotel. I don't know if this is typical for a room or if it was because we were down a side hall but avoid Room 621 if staying here!!
The other let down was the pool. I searched for awhile trying to find a nice hotel, nice location with an indoor pool which is VERY important to us as getting to go swimming is the highlight of a getaway for my kids. We even left home an hour earlier to ensure that our kids get lots of swimming time. We checked into the hotel at 8:00pm and went straight to our room. The kids quickly changed clothes to get ready for what we thought would be a night of swimming fun however when we got to the pool at 8:25pm we found out about the 9pm closing time. I was shocked as I have never stayed anywhere that a pool closed earlier than 10pm. I tried to keep a positive attitude and told the kids to just make the best of the time they have. Well, 15 minutes later we were told the pool was getting ready to close. This was 20 minutes until 9:00pm. I told the lifeguard the closing time said 9:00 to which he walked away. 10 minutes later (this being 10 minutes until 9) the lifeguard told us we have to leave. I was really upset and my 6 year old son was heartbroken! I was so upset I just told them to get out of the pool as I knew I couldn't say anything to the lifeguard that my children should overhear.
I rated this hotel as average because there were some positives and I am trying not to be totally negative. Overall I was not pleased and I will not be staying here again. I also have some friends going to DC this summer and I have told them not to stay here. Definitely not worth the money!!!

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in Room 621!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Ramona T
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Good Day RamonaT. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay here at our Hotel in Old-Town Alexandria. We are glad that you found both our location and the staff here to help make the stay more enjoyable. I do want to apologize for the issues that were raised with our pool. We do utilize a third party lifeguard company to oversee and manage the pool safety operations. I have already contacted the Manager for this company as the issues mentioned regarding the lifeguard are completely unacceptable. Also, I apologize that our pools operating hours were not conducive to making your stay more enjoyable.

Regarding your suite, I can completely understand your frustration as the aformentioned suite in which you stayed is smaller and has a non-traditional layout. I apologize that we were not able to offer to move you to a larger suite in order to accomodate you and your guests over the weekend.

Again, I thank you for your feedback and raising your concerns so we can focus on addressing any issues we may have.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed at this Residence Inn while visiting the DC attractions. The DC hotels were so expensive so someone suggested the Alexandria area. I LOVED Alexandria! What a darling little city. The hotel is in walking distance to all the little shops on the waterfront, the metro to catch into DC, and a Whole Foods grocery store, as well as a few restaurants and drug stores. We literally parked our car the day we arrived ($18/day for parking at the hotel) and didn't get back in it until we left 6 days later. If you don't feel like walking, the hotel minivan will drop you off at the metro or the waterfront. You do have to catch him while he is there. A few times we got sick of waiting and just walked. Hotel was very typical for a Residence Inn. I would describe it as comfortable but nothing fancy. Same with the rooms. There was a full kitchen which we didn't utilize except for the refrigerator but nice to have if you needed it. Room wasn't overly spacious. The four of us in a one bedroom suite were feeling quite cramped by the end of our stay. I would say for two people it would have been fine. The décor and bedding was typical for a Residence Inn - efficient, comfortable, nothing fancy. Had to ask for more linens. I don't know how hotels expect you to sleep with only one thin blanket....I've noticed this in many hotels recently. Always had to grab extra towels also. I wish they would provide the maids with the number of people staying in a room. If we have 4 people, please give us at least 4 towels. The breakfast was just so-so. Eggs, bagels, toast, juice, some meat (Canadian bacon?). But they never had any regular bacon and one day they made waffles but ran out before we got any. They do have a light dinner Mon-Wed. One night it was pasta and salad. One night bque sandwiches and salad. Didn't make the 3rd night. That was a pleasant surprise and we utilized that!!! Complaints would be that you have to walk thru the bedroom to get to the bathroom so the kids woke us each morning and also the sink is located in the bedroom, not the bathroom, so my husband woke me at night taking out his contacts, etc. Also, no safe in room! Shocked about that. We utilize that at every hotel with our ipads, jewelry, etc. Dissapointed in that. Otherwise the Hotel was nice and I really liked the location!!! let me also say I was really worried since our room was by the elevator that we would be woken up all night but with the layout of the room, I never heard anyone in the hall!! Now my kids, sleeping in the family room, were bothered by that but if it is just two of you, no problem!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank ncbeachmomof2
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Good Day ncbeachmomof2. Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such great feedback from your recent stay here with us in Old Town Alexandria. I am thrilled to hear that you were able to take advantage of so many of the great ammenities of our Hotel including our complementary shuttle, and breakfast. Also, I am glad you were able to enjoy some BBQ at our evening social. As you mentioned, Alexandria is a great city that allows people to enjoy such great historic charm while still being close to Washington D.C. I thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will join us again during your next visit to the Alexandria area.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I have had the opportunity to stay in several hotels around the DC area over the past few years, and this has by far been the best hotel we have found.

I have a large family - and we have a difficult time finding a hotel that will accommodate us. Not only was this hotel large and accommodating, but they excelled at making us feel comfortable. The staff doted over our kids - giving them stuffed animals when they arrived, sticker and coloring books at the evening social hour, etc...

Nejat, one of the hotel managers who has helped us book our stays, is super friendly and helpful. I cannot say enough about her helpfulness and excellence in customer service.

The location is great - both in relationship to Alexandria and Washington DC. The hotel is also located about 1 block from a Whole Foods grocery store (which is an essential in an extended stay with lots of kids).

Alexandria in general is the best location (in my opinion) for visiting DC. It puts you outside the business of the city, with easy access to Mt. Vernon, the National Marine Corp. Museum, and the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Center.

This hotel also has a pool - which the other Residence Inn in Alexandria does not have.

If you have a large vehicle (we have a 15 passenger van), you can park on the street behind the hotel. It is metered parking, but the meter only runs from 8am to 5pm.

All in all, after staying here on several occasion, for about 9 days each time, I recommend this hotel above any other ones we have stayed in in the DC area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Daniel W
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Good Day Daniel W. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay here with us in Old Town. The staff and I here at the Hotel are absolutely thrilled that you and your family had such a memorable experience once again while you were our guests. I am particularly excited that you were able to have such fantastic interactions with Nejat our Front Office Supervisor as she is an amazing team member here and genuinely cares about each of our guests. I will be sure your kind words are passed on to her and she is recognized as such. We hope that you and your family will continue to join us any time you are in the Washington D.C. area and we will be ready to continue to provide you with a memorable stay.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Recently stayed here because it was simply too expensive to stay near attractions in DC. This hotel is a great option - easy access to the Metro (2 stops from airport) and much more reasonably priced. Rooms are decent . . .what you'd expect from a Residence Inn. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast in included which is super nice and dinner on some evenings. There is is trolley in Old Town that will pick up and drop off just one street over - or shuttle that can take you to waterfront, shops, dining. There is also a Whole Foods just two blocks away, which was very convenient. The indoor pool was not so nice . . . seems old and dirty but they did have a lifeguard.

Room Tip: One bedroom was provides extra space which is wonderful after a long day of sight seeing.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank RikkiLeeFishers
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Good Day RikkiLeeFishers. Thank you so much for sharing some of your great feedback regarding our Hotel and your recent stay here with us. My team and I here at the Hotel are thrilled that you had such a wonderful time while visiting Old Town and it sounds like our Hotel helped play a part in that. We are glad to see that you were able to take advantage of several of the ammenities here at our property including our breakfast and evening meals (mon-wens) as well as the Hotel's wonderful location. Also, it sounds as though you were able to successfully explore Old-Town using both our Hotel Shuttle and the "Old Towne Trolley" service. I do want to apologize for the negative experience you had with our Pool and assure you that the team here will do everything we can to ensure it is addressed.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay and we hope you will join us again during your next visit to Alexandria.

Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel several times - it is a very convenient location and the staff is very friendly. It could use some new furniture - lots of scratches, marks and wear. But the worst thing is the tiny "hair dryers." They might work for a person with very short hair but I would advise you to bring your own hair dryer if you stay here.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank rjdav
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Good Day rjdav. Thank you so much for providing your feedback from your recent stay here at our Hotel. We are so happy to hear that our Hotel's location and the fantastic team we have working here helped make your stay memorable. Also, I wanted to thank you for providing areas where you feel we could improve as the team here is always looking to identify ways we can utilize our resources in order to help improve the quality of our guest's stay. We are working to identify those suites in our Hotel that need some extra attention and I will also pass along your feedback regarding our hair dryers to the supplier whom we use to see if a better alternative exists.

Thank you again for sharing some of your experiences and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I've been here for the past 8 weeks. The location is very convenient to exploring old town (walking distance) and downtown DC (metro is only a couple of blocks away). The hotel is older and some have commented it is worn, but I have found it to be clean and comfortable. The staff is very welcoming and helpful. The breakfasts are what you would expect from a Residence Inn. Waffles, oatmeal, fresh fruit, yogurts, eggs, etc... The dinners vary (Mon-Wed), and a welcome surprise was the complementary wine/beer with dinner. Honestly, there are a ton. Of great restaurants only a short walk awY on King Street, and a Whole Foods grocery which has meals to go and specials going on almost every day. Parking is steep ($18/day) but there is no where else to park. Leave your car I the garage to explore. If you're tired take the free King Street Trolley or Marriott courtesy shuttle back to the hotel. Lots of equipment in the gym, al in good shape, and a heated indoor pool. Overall a very nice stay all of these weeks.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank peterr208
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Hi peterr208. The team and I here at the Hotel wanted to thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences from your recent long-term stay with us. At our Hotel we always try and help create a home away from home for our long-term guests and we hope that we were able to provide this experience with you.

It sounds like you were able to experience all that our Hotel has to offer from our complementay breakfast, fitness facility, location, and most importantly, our wonderful team here.

We hope that you thoroughly enjoyed your time here with us and that during your next visit to Alexandria that you will join us again as our guest.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We made a great choice staying at the Residence Inn Duke St. We were there to visit DC, but wanted to be a few minutes away from the hustle and bustle.
The great thing about staying here was we could walk to the historic King St. There were so many choices to eat and shop. This is definitely a foodie spot (but also good for families...we had two teenagers).
The Metro Train Station is two blocks from the hotel. Although we had a rental car, we also took the train in to DC.

Room Tip: Ask for floors 4-8 in order to get a decent view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Good Day JohnathanS357. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay here with us in Old Town. It sounds like our Hotel's location, specifically our proximety to the Historic walking areas here in Alexandria helped make the stay even more memorable. As you mentioned, Old Town has so many great restaurants and I hope that you and your family were able to experience some wonderful dining experiences.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we hope you will join us again the next time you are in the Alexandria area.