“Great hotel at a great price”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We reserved a hotel room block at the Residence Inn for our recent wedding. Our guests loved the hotel and it was easy to set aside rooms for our big day! It was a much better value than many of the other hotels we looked at in Old Town and they offer great one and two bedroom suites for families to share. The only negative was dealing with some of the front desk staff. I felt like I was playing a game of 20 questions just to get answers to some really simple inquiries. I thought the management was great though, especially Burma, who was so helpful!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Hello Snd45. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us for your wedding day. We are so thrilled that our Hotel made it easy to organize rooms and not add any additional stress in planning your big day here in Old Town. I do apologize you found some of your interactions with our Front Office team members to be less than satisfactory but did want to thank you for commending Birmah directly.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences and we hope you will join us again soon.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Once again, we returned to our hotel of choice to spend a wonderful New Year's Eve & Birthday
in our favorite city. This hotel is really a step above, As usual, from the moment we arrived the
stay was wonderful! Again, I will say,, what makes this hotel a step above, is THE STAFF.
As always, the entire hotel was spotless clean - a very important factor in choosing a place to stay. Everyone is so gracious and efficient .. Upon arrival we were greeted at the front desk by the Assistant Manager Ed Peters who gives new meaning to the word exceptional! Throughout our stay, he was everywhere, doing everything to make everyone welcome & comfortable.
Our van driver was great and as usual Nadjet, Cindy, Tunisa & Katie were so very helpful, We had a wonderful holiday visit to our favorite part of this country and these people really added
to that happening. I also must add that the food service staff is remarkable - they too go out of their way to set up & serve a wonderful morning and evening repose. I have said it before & will say it again - there is not a better place to stay in Alexandria, VA - location, staff & accommodations are really the BEST in town! It does not get any better than this!

Room Tip: We love the corner front rooms - spacious ,quiet and a wonderful view!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
AlexandriaHotelMgt, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Thank you for the review of our hotel and glowing comments about the team. We are glad you have been able to experience the culture of our hotel that makes us so unique. Your comments about the departments and specific team members; Ed, Nejat, Cindy, Katie and Tanitia will be celebrated by everyone.

We look forward to seeing you again. Thank you for your loyalty to our hotel and staff.

M Wilson – General Manager

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Really liked where this hotel was located. Shuttle was really helpful since it was so cold. Breakfast was plentiful. Did not take advantage of the dinners. Just like other reviewers the front desk was very friendly and helpful. We stayed over the New Year. I would stay there again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Good Day capemaydonna. Thank you so much for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay over the New Years holiday at our Hotel. We are thrilled that you found our location here in Old-Town to be to your liking and that our shuttle was hopefully able to help you explore all the immediate area has to offer.

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our Hotel and the team that make it so special. We truly hope you will join us again during your next visit to Alexandria.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Being a loyal Marriott customer this is one of the Friendliest and Nicest properties in the chain. Starting with the amazing front desk staff that go beyond expectations. The hotel is close to the King Street Metro station for easy access on the Blue or Yellow lines into D.C. Just a 2 block walk. And the King Street shopping/dining area is an easy walk as well. There is also a Whole Foods store a block away so you can stock up on things if needed. I've read some of the reviews on here and may agree that a little updating would be nice. But the hotel is still well above most properties in the area. At the risk of sounding too upbeat about the hotel, I would a say that one negative thing is the parking fee. But then again, what hotel in a downtown setting does not charge for parking. So stay and enjoy D.C. and then enjoy Alexandria.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Hi Raxel7851. Thank you so much for sharing your feedback from your recent stay here at our Hotel. It sound as though our location was a great fit for you and allowed easy access to both the Metro system as well as local ammenities such as King St. and the Whole Foods. Also, I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding our team at the Front Desk. Each Front Desk staff member takes great pride in ensuring all of our guests have a memorable stay and it sounds as though you were no exception.

Thank you again so much for your feedback and we hope you join us again soon during your next trip to Alexandria.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I've enjoyed staying at this property before, and there are things about it which are still terrific. The staff is professional and extremely helpful. The location is wonderful. On this stay, though, I had a few concerns about my room. The first concerns noise--the heating system thunked on and thunked off, constantly interrupting my sleep. I finally figured out how to turn it off--if you hit the "fan" button on the thermostat, it will move from "auto" to "on," and if you hit the fan button again, it will turn off the system. Then you only have to deal with the quieter thunking noise of the refrigerator. The second night of my stay, the clock radio alarm woke me up at midnight, although I hadn't set the alarm myself. The second concern was with the room furnishings. The room was very clean and the housekeeping was great. But the fabric cornice above one of the windows had a stain (such an odd place, how on earth did it get there?) and the lampshade of one of the bedside lamps was ripped. Despite those concerns, I got a decent room rate thanks to AAA membership, and I'd still recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Good day GoingGoingSwVa. Thank you so much for taking time to share some of your experiences from your most recent stay at our Hotel. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed our Hotel on previous visits to Alexandria and joined us again. As you mentioned, we have a great team here at the Hotel and I am happy to hear you found their service to be commendable. I would like to apologize for the multiple room issues you mentioned regarding both mechanical and condition. As a Marriott Hotel we work very diligently to ensure all of our guests especially repeats have a pleasant and comfortable stay. However, it sounds like we may have fell short of meeting all of your expectations for which I can offer my apologies.

I do want to thank you again for sharing some of your experiences and we hope that you will join us again during future visits to Alexandria.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We are loyal Marriott vacationers. Location for Old Town and shuttle to local businesses are a plus for this hotel, but the rooms were overly worn and badly in need of refurbishment. Chairs were splitting, cabinets in the kitchenette were chipped. Hotel was at least clean and breakfast was plentiful and constantly restocked with both hot and cold offerings. Compared to Crystal Cities for the same price, this hotel needs improvement. Probably will not select this location again unless specific destination was Old Towne. Otherwise there are much better offerings in same price range. Do like the suite space and refrigerator, but overall it is time for a makeover to bring it up to Marriott standards expected.

Room Tip: Room at end of hallway was relatively quiet. Elevator bank was noisy, so avoid.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello JeSheVA. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay here at our Hotel. We are glad that you found our location for a visit to Old Towne to be enjoyable as well as the cleanliness of our suites and complementary breakfast each morning. I would like to apologize for the issues raised regarding the condition of your suite. As a Marriott Hotel, we work very diligently to ensure that our rooms meet all company and brand standards. The team here at the Hotel and I do apologize again that we failed to meet your expectations regarding the condition of our suite and will continue working to note and address issues such as those you mentioned.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you continue to choose Marriott during your travels.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I cannot say enough about this hotel and the amazing staff! The beds are extremely comfortable and plush bedding. The amount of space in the rooms are beyond standard size and it is in walking distance from all cute shops and great eats! I had the best trip! I would recommend this hotel to everyone! And the complimentary meals/drinks saved me a lot of money and were good.

Room Tip: Our business trip had different rooms and they were all great!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Good Day Candice S. Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your experiences during your recent stay at our Hotel. The team here are so happy you enjoyed your stay and found our suites to be comfortable and spacious and that our location allowed you to explore the wonderful Old-Town area.

We hope that you will join us again soon during your next visit to Alexandria.