Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street
Hilton Alexandria Mark Center(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
$167
$152
$149
Hampton.com
Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
$127
$101
Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
$169
$188
$170
$239
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Hilton Alexandria Old Town(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
$197
  • Room Service
$197
$215
$202
  • Restaurant
Old Colony Inn Alexandria(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
$142
$110
Official Hotel
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswhole foodstwo blocksking streetold townfull kitchenone bedroom suitemetro stationwafflesdc areagrocery shoppingstove topfree breakfastmile radiusthree blocksfree shuttlehotel shuttleshops and restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 31, 2013

First, if you are looking for a boutique hotel equipped with the latest, stylish amenities, this is not it. If you are looking looking for a place to call "home" for several weeks, or are a family visiting the D.C. area for several days and looking for a perfect base camp, I can think of no finer hotel in Old Town Alexandria.
Location - Only 2-3 blocks from the King Street Washington Metro stop (servicing the Blue and Yellow lines), the hotel is effectively less than 30 minutes travel time (foot and train) to the National Mall and Smithsonian Museums (Yellow line goes direct to L'Enfant Plaza, which is next to the Air and Space Museum). The shops and restaurants of Old Town Alexandria are a 20-30 min walk. If you don't want to walk, there is a complementary shuttle that will take you within "1 mile" of the hotel, though this effectively means any of the principal restaurants in Old Town between Queen St and Duke Street all the way to the Waterfront.
Amenities - Every room is a "suite" with full (if small) kitchen that includes a two-burner electric stove, full size refrigerator, freezer with ice maker, dishwasher and full complement of utensils, pots, pans, dishes and glasses. However, if you plan to stay a while and actually cook (which I did extensively), you will probably need to buy some actual cooking utensils that will stand up to heat (Crate and Barrell sells wooden utensils at the factory outlet store, which is a block away towards the King Street Metro). Many of the rooms are actual two-room suites, with a separate bedroom and a pull-out queen-size sofa bed (which I slept on when my parents visited - it was actually reasonably comfortable for a sofa bed). There is a full breakfast every morning, and Mon through Thurs there is a light meal served with two complementary drinks (red/white wine or Budweiser beer). Good coffee is available seemingly all the time in the lobby. Again, perfect for business/govt travel or travel with kids when you are looking to save some money. Parking is available onsite in a garage, though at $18/day it is a tad on the expensive side. Then again, good luck finding parking anywhere in Old Town for much less - the on street parking is either metered, or you require a pass; one thing that is ruthlessly efficient in Old Town is the parking enforcement (and their contract towing companies).
Staff - Superstars all around. Catherine and Katie, who never seemed to leave, always had a smile and great attitude that never failed to improve mine. Warm, inviting and friendly, I did not come across a single staff member who did not impress me. This is a very well managed hotel, with a professional staff that goes the extra mile.

Room Tip: Rooms on the "far side" of the hotel (40's, eg 549/650/etc) have a good view of the Washington Masonic Memorial, but are far from the elevators. #49 is a corner suite with significantly more space, but the longest walk. Low number rooms (last two numbers 20 and below) are close to the elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 96Wahoo
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Hello 96Wahoo, thank you so much for giving such wonderful and insightful feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Making our Hotel your "home" while you were here was our absolute goal and it looks like we succeeded. I could not have given a better description of our various ammenities if I had written it myself. What an informative and honest review of your stay from the Hotel's location here in Old-Town to the advice regarding Alexandria's parking regulations. Also, thank you for taking the time to recognize two of our outstanding desk clerks Katie and Christine; I will be sharing your kind words with them soon. Again, thank you so much for a great review of your time here and we hope that you will join us again next time you are in the area.

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

We just spent 10 days at this hotel and it was wonderful. The hotel is ideal if you have small kids. We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite and it was perfect for us. The staff is wonderful. Every single person we encountered greeted us and offered assistance. The location is great. A 10 min walk to the Metro and an even shorter walk to King Street in Old Town. A block away from Whole Foods, though the hotel offers to do the grocery shopping for you at no additional charge.
We had a great stay!

• Stayed: July 2013

Hello YJT, the Hotel staff and I are so thrilled you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us. We love hosting families and are always pleased when we can make sure children staying with us feel at home. We are glad that you took advantage of our in-room grocery shopping and hopefully were able to whip up something delicious in your suite! Thank you again for your kind words and we hope that you will join us again the next time you are staying in Alexandria.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Overall, this is a quality hotel with a superb location to get out of the hustle and bustle of DC. I would definitely stay here again.

Pros:

1. Only two blocks from the King St. Metro stop with complimentary shuttle service to and from.
2. Easy walking distance to the wide variety of eateries along King St. and in Old Towne.
3. 15-20 minute Metro ride to put you in the heart of DC sightseeing and attractions.
4. Exceptionally friendly staff from the front desk to the maintenance and support employees throughout the building.
5. Secure, adjacent indoor parking.
6. A block and a half from the Whole Foods supermarket.
7. Plentiful and varied breakfast buffet.
8. Coffee and iced water in the lobby at all times.

Cons (not really negatives, but some thoughts about things that I think might be improved):

1. There are no in-room safes to lock valuables. You must use the safe deposit boxes at the front desk with the caveat that there is a $150 charge if you lose the key. I didn't want to lock up some small valuables and then still be responsible for a key as I walked throughout DC. Most of the other hotels I've used, including much less expensive ones, have an in-room safe.
2. A photo on the hotel's website shows a four burner stove with an oven. I checked in, threw my bags in the room and went to Whole Foods to buy a pizza with the thought of bringing it back to my room to keep warm in the oven. That's when I realized I had only a two-burner stovetop with no oven. (Please, don't suggest that the microwave makes up for this. It does not!) Not a major thing but it would have been nice for this to have been clarified at check-in.
3. I brought a few DVD's with me to watch in the room. No DVD player! There was an option to purchase movies ($17.98 for a first run movie) but I thought I would be able to watch my own.
4. Finally, everyone carries an iPod, iPhone or iSomething these days. A nice touch would be for some inexpensive docking station so guests could listen to music in their rooms. I've had this in some other hotels and it was a very nice touch.

None of the above are deal breakers, however, and this is a great hotel with a great staff and a terrific location.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RDAMiami
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you so very much for taking a moment to share some of your comments regarding your recent stay with us at our Hotel. We obviously are able to provide our guests with great ammenities such as our location to various location attractions and our breakfast. However, we are always most pleased when our guests are able to enjoy our best ammenity, all of our staff here at our Hotel. Also, I do appreciate your feedback regarding some of your thoughts for improvement here at the Hotel. We are always looking for areas we can focus on in order to provide our guests with a more enjoyable experience and your words will help point us in the right direction. Thank you again for your kind words and we hope you will join us again soon here in Old-Town.

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Two blocks from a metro stop, a short walk to downtown Old Town, Whole Foods a block away ( wine tastings on wednesday evenings). The rooms and common areas are a bit worn, but the service and managers reception make up for that. The free shuttle will take you anywhere within 1 mile. There is free night street parking behind the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share some of your impressions of our Hotel. We are always looking for ways to improve our guests' experiences and your input will go a long way in assisting us. Hopefully you will join us again as a guest the next time you are in the Washington D.C. area.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

If there had been a focus group to envision my perfect hotel and room - this hotel hit the mark.
The lobby is just right. Check in went quickly and friendly. Nice touches with delicious coffee service and ice water. ( like the creamers)
My bedroom was so inviting and well laid out. Loved the color scheme. Room smelled and looked 100% clean. The kitchen was great. Used the shuttle service a couple times- terrific feature. Very reliable and friendly driver. Luggage room was a breeze to use.
Sofa in the studio was comfortable both ways, to sit on and folded out.
Liked the sheers and back out drapes. Very handsome room. Could live here for a long time.
Really liked having the little market for "hungries" anytime.
More hotels should be like this one.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you so much for providing such wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay here with us. Obviously during your stay you were able to experience so many of the great things that make our Hotel so special from our Front Desk team at check-in to the Shuttle Drivers while exploring Old-Town. Please be assured all of your comments will be shared with our entire team during our next Hotel staff meeting. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to share some of your experiences here at our Hotel and we hope you will join us again as a guest soon.