“Not bad overall, one caveat you should know about the pool schedule if you have kids” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Davidson, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I agree with many of the other reviews. A standard Residence Inn experience, which I have found more than passable when traveling with family. I have stayed here on other trips when visiting an office across the street.

For starters, we had a superb customer service experience with Katie at the registration desk. I was delayed 7 hours in another city, and only arrived very late in the evening. I was able to call ahead and let Katie know that my family was arriving on their own, would be there before me, and request help in getting them settled, in spite of the fact that I was the registered guest. Katie was not only professional, courteous and responsive to me, but my wife and children could not stop gushing about how friendly and welcoming "Miss Katie" was when they checked in. She recognized our family throughout our stay and was always friendly. Which was why I didn't want to bother her about the bizarre pool rules, and our personal negative experience.

First, the pool is not open between 10 AM and 4 PM, so if you are traveling with a family and someone in the party is working during the day while others are seeing the sites, don't count on being able to bring the kids back to the pool until after 4. Worse, don't count on them being able to hang in the pool for the day at all between 10 and 4, which is a big selling point of most hotels for our kids.

Second, this pool has a lifeguard. I am platinum elite with Marriott and silver with Hilton, so I travel a lot (it works out to about two nights each week). I have never seen a hotel pool with a lifeguard...until the Residence Inn Old Town Alexandria - Duke Street. Fine. A little different I thought, but how could it hurt. Well, after about 20 minutes of swimming, my son swallowed a mouthful of water and began coughing it up. The lifeguard ran over to attend to him. Given that this is not an uncommon occurence with kids swimming, and given that I was sitting right there, I thought the attention was overkill.

After he "recovered," the lifeguard came over to me and said that unless my son had a flotation device, he could not remain in the pool because "he can't swim." We had a brief discussion about the merits and drawbacks of one another's positions on this matter, until the lifeguard insisted that unless my son passed the "swim test," he could not remain in the pool. I asked what the swim test was, and she said it was swimming from one end of the pool to the other unaided, whcih she had sat and watched him do a dozen or so times in 20 minutes.

Anyway...to make a long story only slightly less boring, I concluded that it was not worth arguing with a kid doing what she thought was her job at a hotel pool, and took the kids back to the room. This was not a cataclysmic event in our lives, but it seemed strange all around. A hotel pool with a swim test? Is this Camp Marriott?

To conclude, Katie was a delight, we didn't want to bother her with this petty disappointment and so we never brought up with anyone. I did email the GM after we left - as his checkout form letter attached to the folio asked that I do - and never heard back. My position is that while it is highly weird that a Residence Inn has a lifeguard, and - evidently - a swim test (which they administer after the swimmer has been in the water for 20 minutes), these are things that are their policy choices. Knowing them now, I will not return to this hotel. But, I do think that it is dishonest for the hotel not to list the pool schedule on the website. We would not have reserved this hotel and would have stayed closer to the tourist action in DC had we known that the kids would not have access to the pool all day. If you are traveling with kids who love swimming in the pool as much as they love the Spy Museum, there are better options in and around DC, including with Marriott.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank OTR-WithTheKids
RIOldTownManager, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear OTR-WithTheKids :

Thank you for your comments...they are all greatly appreciated. We apologize about the confusion with the pool and the lifeguard. The responsibility is ours alone. We are pleased to let you know that your feedback was escalated to our Lifeguard management company...and appropriate changes were immediately made. We are also working with Marriott to address the correct posting of our swim times on the website. The pool hours are posted in the elevators, guest rooms and outside the pool entrance, however we agree that an additional posting on the website is helpful.

We'd also like to thank you for your comments about the staff, particularly Katie. We will make sure to share with her and the team. I apologize about not receiving your email when you departed the hotel. I enjoy receiving emails from the many guests that respond to my letter, and regret that I did not see one from you.

Thank you for staying with us - we hope we have a chance to serve you in the future. If you'd like, I can also be reached at 703-548-5474.

Have a terrific summer,

M Wilson (General Manager)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is your standard Marriott Residence Inn property. The staff was friendly and efficient. There is self-parking on location ($18 for 24 hours). The location is in Old Town Alexandria, which is a worthwhile stop for shopping and restaurants. If Washington DC is your destination, then this hotel works well. You are 2 blocks from the King Street Metro station. The neighborhood is safe and the walk is easy. You can probably save a little money on DC hotels by staying here in Alexandria. This location will still provide you easy access to the Capitol.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay with us. The Hotel team and I are delighted that you were able to take advantage of some of our great ammenities specifically our location close to the Metro. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope that you will join us again the next time you are in the area.

Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Love this hotel. Service and staff are impeccable. Friendly and courteous atmosphere. Location is wonderful. Trails, shops, food snd sights.
Our suite was quiet and amenities superb. Wifi connection jumps around alot though.
Don't forget to compliment and thank those who serve here.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking a moment to share some of your comments regarding your recent stay with us at our Hotel. We obviously are able to provide our guests with great ammenities such as our location to various location attractions and our breakfast. However, we are always most pleased when our guests are able to enjoy our best ammenity, the team members here at the Hotel. Also, I do appreciate your feedback regarding our high-speed internet access. We are currently working towards a solution to upgrade our system in order to provide our guests with the best most consistent access possible. Thank you again for your kind words and we hope you will join us again soon here in Old-Town.

Perkasie, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed in the 2-bedroom corner suite on the 8th floor. The room had a nice size living area, although needed more seating for 4 people, sofa bed was small, small kitchenette (no oven) just a microwave two burner stove top with a table for 4 people in living area, fit our needs. Bedrooms comfortable and clean 1 larger with desk and chair and 3 large windows, each with it's own bathroom, queen beds .A few negatives: stains on carpeting living area and bedrooms, and some wear and tear on kitchen cabinets and sofa and chair in LVR. Tuesday AM problem with hot water-didn't have much was fixed by PM. Nice size Flat screen TVs all rooms. Excellent location to King Street Metro, walking distance, or hotel has a free shuttle that takes you up to 1 mile radius. Easy walk to King Street to pick up free trolley that travels to King Street shops/ restaurants and waterfront of historic Alexandria. Nice breakfast buffet cereals, muffins, toast, bagels, eggs, alternating waffles, french toast, bacon sausage., fresh coffee drinks, and comfortable clean dining area. All complimentary. Service was excellent all around. Friendly, helpful staff. Parking on site- garage, charge per day. Would stay there again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with our Hotel. We are always striving to find ways to improve our guests experience while they are here with us. I do personally apologize regarding the issue with the water as we had to repair a leak in a supply line therefore causing a temporary loss of hot water. My team and I are however glad you were able to enjoy our delicious breakfast each morning and also that you had a chance to interact with some of our wonderful associates during your stay. Again, we greatly appreciate all of your feedback and hope that you will join us again the next time you are in the area.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Just got back from staying at the Residence Inn on Duke street in Old Town. Since I worked for another Residence Inn for 6 years, I am always notice the little things when I stay at a Marriott. This property was probably my best experience as a guest! The front desk ladies were warm and helpful, the breakfast people were quick and pleasant, the breakfast food was very good - lots of choices. The room was clean and the location was only 3 blocks from the metro. It could only have been better if everything was free...

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences at our Hotel! I am glad that you were able to relive some of the Marriott Magic that you certainly were a part of during your time with Residence Inn. Our team was certainly glad to have you here and also glad you were able to enjoy all of our great ammenities such as the location, breakfast, and especially our friendly staff. We hope you will join us again the next time you are in the Washington D.C. area.

Midlothian, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I am a frequent traveler and have stayed at this hotel 6 times in 3 years. I find the front desk employees and all employees to be professional, genuinely very friendly and always willing to help. My complements to the management.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Edwin P, Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you so much for review of our Hotel. The team at this Hotel genuinely prides itself on their ability to go out of our way to ensure each guest has a memorable experience. Your kind words about the team here will certainly be shared with them and they will greatly appreciate it. We hope we will have the opportunity to host you again the next time you are in town!

Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

The location is great for time în Alexandria or DC. Short walk to King Street Metro station and the free King St trolley. Full kitchens in each room are great f or a family. The breakfasts offer a large variety of choices. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The parking is extra and the spaces are small. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the review of our hotel! We are always pleased when we are able to exceed our guests expectations during their stay. Our location in Old-Town does easily allow for great access to both the Metro into D.C. and the local complementary Trolley service. Our staff is genuinely excited to have the opportunity to provide outstanding service to every guest that walks through our front doors and it seems you certainly experienced that. Your kind words will definetely be shared during our next staff huddle meeting. We hope that you will join us again the next time you are in the D.C. area.