New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Suffolk, VA
“great amenities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of a room block for a wedding party. When I originally booked the room for 3 adults, I misunderstood the website, thinking every room has a bedroom separated from the sofa bed and sitting area. When we arrived and noticed the sofa bed and bed in the same room, I called the front desk and they promptly relocated us into a one bedroom suite with a separate bedroom.

This hotel is in a fabulous location. It is only a few blocks, and 5 minute walk, to the King St. Metro station, for easy access to D.C. The hotel also provides a free shuttle to Old Town destinations. This was a great way to be transported to the King St. area and wharf, where most of the action is. We never had to wait longer than 10 minutes to be dropped off or picked up. The front desk was happy to arrange this for us. (Note that the shuttle does not run after 10:30 P.M. So we did take a cab home in the evenings.)

We loved having a full kitchen! It was a great way to keep snacks and drinks on hand and would be wonderful for a longer stay or for a family who wanted to make some meals in the suite.

Breakfast each morning is free and ample. There were many choices including pancakes, waffles, eggs, potatoes, yogurt, fruit, pastries, etc.

We thought this hotel was an excellent value, especially considering the location and extra amenities. 3 adults easily enjoyed the accommodations without feeling crowded. I think this would be an excellent base for D.C. sightseeing.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank SaraSuffolk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2008

We just got back from a 3 night stay in a one bedroom suite at the Residence Inn in Old Town Alexandria. We were quite impressed with our service and accommodations. This was a busy holiday weekend but the hotel staff seemed to handle the crowds, largely family groups, in stride. Our corner suite was impeccably clean and spacious. I loved having a large living space and kitchen area. My 9 year old son was happy as a clam having the sofa bed and extra TV to himself. My hubby and I were just as happy to have a private bedroom and TV to ourselves. The location of this hotel is somewhat of a catch 22. We loved its easy access to the King Street metro. The best surprise for me was its very close proximity to a Whole Foods Store. It was no more than 2 blocks away! I spent a great deal of time there. I live 3.5 hours away from Alexandria and this Whole Foods is the closest to my home. Otherwise, I would be their best customer. The downside, albeit a minor one, to the location of this Residence Inn is that it is not very close to the hub of Old Town Alexandria sights and restaurants. In warmer weather, this wouldn’t be an issue as long as you are able to walk a few extra blocks. There is a hotel shuttle but I cannot speak to its availability. The breakfasts were acceptable. It was just a bit crowded, so that took away from our ability to enjoy a leisurely time in that pursuit. The manager’s reception was worthwhile after a VERY long day seeing the sights in D.C. The two cold adult beverages per person hit the spot! All in all, we definitely got our money’s worth with our AAA discount on our suite. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — some of the breakfast was cold
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank oliviaonthebeach