“Why all the rave reviews?”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I'm surprised at all the rave reviews for this place. We felt it was only average. There were good things. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is excellent, only a few blocks from the metro and from all the shops and restaurants on King Street. The $18 parking charge is very reasonable.

But there were many things that were mediocre. The breakfast wasn't great,with quality being about on par with a Hampton Inn. Very disappointing. We had trouble regulating the water tempature in the shower, it was very temperamental. They were stingy with toiletries and we had to ask for more shampoo when they didn't leave any for two days in a row. The bed had a nightstand only on one side making it difficult for the other person to read in bed. Thankfully we didn't need to use the sofa bed because it looked really saggy and wasn't even comfortable to sit on. Hotel hair dryers are usually bad but this one was worse than most with a really wide nozzle that made it impossible to direct the air flow. The room generally looked a bit worn. We will probably stay elsewhere next time.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
AlexandriaHotelMgt, General Manager at Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you for the review and for staying with our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our staff and the great location. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations for breakfast, water temperature and that asking for more bath amenities proved challenging. I assure you this is not our standard.

If you have time, I'd love to hear from you directly and get more specific feedback so that I may address the room issues directly.

We appreciate all feedback and value your opinion greatly.

Mike Wilson
(703) 310-3040 (direct)

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed at the RI this week, it was my first time to stay there and I was impressed. Its a great location and is very close to King Street and the Metro station. Only one thing that could be improved, larger and softer pillows!!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

What a wonderful place for an extended stay. Perfect location , close to metro, Whole Food and great shops and restaurants within walking distance . The hotel shuttle was also convenient and the driver was pleasant . Every staff person went out of his or her way to make sure my husband and I enjoyed our stay. Breakfast and evening reception were also a nice perk. Will stay here again if in the DC area!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We held my wife's family reunion for 30 people at this hotel. It's easy to get to. We flew in to Reagan National and took the Metro to Alexandria and walked 5 minutes to the hotel. Others drove and used the parking at the hotel. The rooms were very spacious and had kitchens. We walked a couple of blocks to the Whole Foods store and stocked up our kitchen. This helped us save money on food. We were able to meet in the breakfast area at no charge. During the day, we toured Alexandria or caught the Metro into DC. We had a great time!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My two “two and under” kids, husband and I stayed five wonderful nights in a 1 bedroom suite. The staff – from Ed the Asst. GM to Ishmael at the front desk to the accommodating cleaning crew were the most attentive, kind hotel staff I have ever encountered...even toward the kids. (I am terrible with names and remember these!!! Says a lot). The location is great…near the metro and WHOLE FOODS plus just a few blocks from King St. restaurants and shops. We will be back in a month or so on a second house hunting trip and can’t imagine staying anywhere else. My MIL joined us for a few nights and was put in a room across the hall. Perfect!

The room showed its age a bit, but was very clean. I had no trepidation about our 8-month-old crawl around.

Thank you so much!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ButlerFan95
Reviewed October 10, 2012

If this location is convenient for your DC area visit, this is a good value option, especially if staying for a long time or traveling with family. We had a two bedroom two bathroom suite, which was comfortable for our family including two adult children. As with all residence inns, this one has a full kitchen, and there is a WHOLE FOODS one block away. The metro is VERY convenient, only a few easy blocks away. The heart of Old Town is within a reasonable walk as well.
This is not one of the newer RI properties, so it doesn't have the really hip design. However, the WINDOWS OPEN, which is really important to me, especially during the beautiful weather.
Included in the reasonable price is a full breakfast, which is average quality but very convenient. Also they have a complimentary happy hour with food, which is nice.
The staff was friendly. The pool is tiny with no outdoor access.

Room Tip: If you sleep with open windows, you might not want a room that faces the "courtyard", nois...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2012

After booking a room here based on other trip advisor reviews, I had to leave one of my own. I stayed here two nights recently with my husband and 4 year old son, and compared to other hotels at the same price, it's my favorite. I slept like a baby--there was little noise in the hallways or from other rooms (which is usually what kills a stay for me). Plenty of room to move around; super friendly staff; excellent (free) breakfast buffet; newspapers at the ready and I even loved the toiletries they had and the little jar of hard candy on the table. They definitely pay attention to the details. Very impressed.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family