“Comfortable Family or long term stay”

Residence Inn Alexandria Old Town/Duke Street
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Shaker Heights, OH
“Comfortable Family or long term stay”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

If this location is convenient for your DC area visit, this is a good value option, especially if staying for a long time or traveling with family. We had a two bedroom two bathroom suite, which was comfortable for our family including two adult children. As with all residence inns, this one has a full kitchen, and there is a WHOLE FOODS one block away. The metro is VERY convenient, only a few easy blocks away. The heart of Old Town is within a reasonable walk as well.
This is not one of the newer RI properties, so it doesn't have the really hip design. However, the WINDOWS OPEN, which is really important to me, especially during the beautiful weather.
Included in the reasonable price is a full breakfast, which is average quality but very convenient. Also they have a complimentary happy hour with food, which is nice.
The staff was friendly. The pool is tiny with no outdoor access.

Room Tip: If you sleep with open windows, you might not want a room that faces the "courtyard", nois...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Korean first
Branchburg, New Jersey
Reviewed October 1, 2012

After booking a room here based on other trip advisor reviews, I had to leave one of my own. I stayed here two nights recently with my husband and 4 year old son, and compared to other hotels at the same price, it's my favorite. I slept like a baby--there was little noise in the hallways or from other rooms (which is usually what kills a stay for me). Plenty of room to move around; super friendly staff; excellent (free) breakfast buffet; newspapers at the ready and I even loved the toiletries they had and the little jar of hard candy on the table. They definitely pay attention to the details. Very impressed.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stay at this hotel frequently and have never been disappointed. If there is a problem, they are quick to remedy it. Best location for visiting D.C.--short, easy walk to the King St. metro; a Whole Foods grocery a block away which will even cook your seafood for you; restaurants of every type within a couple of blocks. Safe area for walking around in the evening, even as a woman alone and there is a hotel shuttle for nearby areas if weather is bad or you are concerned about safety. The staff are professional and efficient. My favorite little "treat" is the 3 papers which are available (complimentary) daily. Parking is available or you can park on the street overnight for free. Rooms, breakfast area, exercise room always clean and fresh. Be aware this is a large hotel, often with many families with small kids so the breakfast area can be alittle hectic but that is a minor item--and often it is fun to see the kids before heading out for a day of business.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Iowa
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I had training to attend to in DC. I decided to stay outside of DC, to visit a new area (my husband was with me). The Old Town Alexandria area is great. Lots of shopping and great places to eat. The hotel was clean, no problems in our room. The bed was a bit soft, sinking toward the middle. They met the federal gov't rate. The hotel is an easy 3 blocks to the King Street metro station (I walked by myself, but the shuttle was available). The hotel is in a safe area. The breakfast was very good. At night they have free dinner plus each registered guest is entitled to 2 drinks. An example of evening meals was one night was lasagna, another was chili dogs. The hotel staff was nice, but not extremely helpful. The first night we asked where we could walk to to grab a sandwich, they suggested Whole Foods. We found a better choice, a local Irish Pub.
Free breakfast, free dinner and free internet in the DC Area? I would stay here again.

Mesa, AZ
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Generally, I choose Residence Inns when I travel for either work or fun. This RI in Alexandria was typical...clean, provided extra room, served a nice breakfast and decent dinner. The hotel was nothing spectacular but it was fine. Two blocks to the shops at King Street, the Metro, and Whole Foods. They have a shuttle that will drive you within a one mile radius. I only used it on my last day for a trip to the Metro since I had my luggage and I needed to leave when it was still dark. The immediate block or so around the hotel is not very populated with foot traffic and I did feel a little insecure my first day until I reached King Street where there was a lot of people meandering down the street. As a sole female traveler safety is a high priority for me when I travel. Likely it was just me getting used to the area. There were not any shady characters around that I saw.

I was in town for work and did not have time to see any of the sights in Alexandria...did get out a little in DC, however. So, I cannot really comment on the tourism of Alexandria. I would stay at the hotel again. The Metro had me into DC within 20 minutes without having to switch trains.

Bottom line...it served its purpose, it was clean, I generally felt safe. As I said, I would revisit the hotel.

1 Thank jonna30
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The hotel demands top room rates for being a Marriott in an excellent location. Right next to a Whole Foods grocery is convenient. A couple of blocks from King Street Metro, how nice! Lobby and hallway decor have a utilitarian feel -- boring DC tourist pictures adorn the hallyways. Strong cleaning solutions overpower the rooms and hallways, too. The video recorders over the public area of on the Lobby level make you feel like you are in a bank. Rooms are home-like apartments with small kitchens. They have utensils, plates, coffee maker, microwaves, toaster, etc. Internet included in rate, social hours weekdays. Mixed feelings about the staff -- some terrific, some average in regard to service levels. No wows, no disappointments...just fine through and through.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank outpulsed
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights ... So convenient if you are wanting to stay close to downtown DC. The hotel was very friendly, the rooms were nice and the breakfast/dinner (Mon-Thurs) were all very good. I would definitely stay there again and I routinely stay at Marriott's all over the world. This place is close to 5 stars, but there were just a few things that kept me from rating them that high. Mainly the rooms seemed like there was a lot of wasted space ... Large, but the furniture in them didn't really accommodate the area. Great place though -- I'd stay again!