“UGH”

Pork Barrel BBQ
Ranked #181 of 768 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I am local and have been wanting to try their BBQ. Very disappointing. The pulled pork sandwich was dry and the BBQ sauce had a very strange aftertaste.
Good cole slaw.
Husband had the salad with "burnt" brisket ends which tasted like dog food.

Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

This place is ok at best. My friend and I checked it out tonight. The service was fast, but the food was cold... Not sure how long things had been sitting out--couldn't have been fresh. As far as specifics, the macaroni was gross, collard greens were awesome, meat was cold. Sorry. Wish I could give a better review.

1  Thank QuickWhitTravel
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Coming from NC I know my way around a barbecue spot. I'll have to say, this spot was pretty good, although I was very bummed to hear they were out of the North Carolina sauce I had heard so much about. We did talk with a manager who said it should be back very soon, they are having production issues......not enough vinegar in northern Virginia?

I had the pulled pork sandwich was had a nice slight smoked flavor. The meat was pretty tender and held together on the sandwich well. I did like the potato bun as well, which is something I'm not use to. I can imagine how great that would soak up the North Carolina sauce...........the South Carolina mustard sauce was very good and I preferred the original sauce over the sweet sauce although they were pretty similar. The original being heavy on the molasses with the sweeter sauce balancing that out with brown sugar.

The mac & cheese was good and I really enjoyed the baked beans. Coming from NC, this slaw was waaaaay too uptown for me with red peppers, etc. All in all a good spot with an amazing selection of pure cane sugar, glass bottled sodas. There's also a bar but I think you might have to order booze separately from the food...either way...there is alcohol in the building!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Very affordable and flavorful BBQ with counter service but plenty of places to sit. Huge portions of pulled pork and brisket and a good beer and soda selection. Very fun!

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

We ate here with some friends recently after learning if their Shark Tank experience. Boy were we disappointed. This place is nothing special. You will do better at a chain restaurant like Famous Dave's or Sonny's.

The ribs were tough and dry. The brisket was dry. The pulled pork was average and their famous sauce was really nothing special. The sides are NOT huge in contrast to what others have said.

Having grown up in the South and tasted BBQ from Memphis to Atlanta to Virginia, I can tell you this place is at the bottom of the list. Really nothing special - just a lot of hype from the TV appearance and positive reviews by transplants to the DC area who have never really had good BBQ.

Sounds harsh I know, but I had high hopes that just didn't pan out.

Move on. Nothing to see here.

2  Thank IrishDawgTraveler