“It's OK. Good mojitos. So so ceviches”
Review of Aguaviva - CLOSED

Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“It's OK. Good mojitos. So so ceviches”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I guess we had great expectations when we went into this "Latin fusion" restaurant, as it seemed to offer Ecuadorian and Peruvian dishes (which, being Ecuadorian and Peruvian, we crave). However, the "Ecuadorian ceviche" did not approximate anything eaten in Ecuador, and was mostly bland, tasteless and so so. (I guess many restaurants in this area have the problem that the fish, meat, produce, etc., available here is mostly bland, tasteless and so so; but some other restaurants at least make an effort). The drinks (mojitos, margaritas, Bloody Mary) were better, and the service is friendly enough (although not extremely fast). The fried yucca with mojo, an appetizer, was actually what we most enjoyed of our meal. Oh, well, the search goes on.

• Visited September 2012

Charlotte, North Carolina
“AWESOME food”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Some of the best latin food I have ever had. Had the Grouper with a Bacon/shrimp sauce & roasted cuban potatoes. SO GOOD! my husband had the tripoleta sandwich. He said it was also very good-- a little rich-- but good!

Visited September 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1,389 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 3,903 helpful votes
“Give it a try!”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The food was good, decorations were cool, and servers were kind; you really can't ask for much more at a restaurant! I will likely be back with friends. My only complaint is that they were out of several things--if they could have everything on their menu, they'd get four stars, but that's always a bad sign to me. I'm hoping that was just a one-time deal and perhaps they just messed up their ordering.

• Visited August 2012
“Great Experience”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I were staying on King Street for our annual anniversary trip and we like to try at least one new place every year. So glad we stopped in. From the hip decor, to the attentive waitsaff, to the reasonably priced wine, to the excellent menu- I can't reccommend it enough. The yucca gnocci were a pleasant surprise, and my husband's pork dish was so meltingly tender! Reasonable prices, too!

• Visited August 2012
Boyce, VA
“Great Ceviche”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The ceviche was outstanding and the Puerto Rican sucking pork is a must have.

Visited July 2012