“Easy access to DC, without being in DC”

Hilton Alexandria Old Town
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Los Angeles
“Easy access to DC, without being in DC”
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Perfectly located across the street from the Alexandria Metro station, I found this hotel to have a suburban vibe while still being close enough to the city. While much of my stay was spent in meetings or heading to the Hill, I found the Hilton to be a good place to crash, though a little pricier than I would have expected.

Nothing groundbreaking in the room appointments, though I thought it was nice to have a room overlooking the Metro line. (While not appealing to all travelers, I found hearing the trains go by pretty relaxing.) Conference facilities were decent and they seemed to have more meeting rooms than one would expect for a hotel of this size.

While I usually prefer to stay in downtown areas, if I found myself in the neighborhood again, this hotel would certainly be on my short list of places to stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, September 16, 2010
AlikaAlex - Thanks for the solid feedback, remember if you are a constant traveler the Diamond and Gold HHonors memebers now receive free full breakfast and internet. these two coupled together can always help keep the price in tow. We also offer many different packages on our Hilton site so please take a look, maybe there is something that can assist as well, Have a great week! Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I stayed here in Feb and Aug 2010 and since Feb, a few things have changed for the worse. First, a full, hot breakfast is no longer free for HHonors members. I'm a Diamond and all I received were coupons for free continental cold breakfast; I had to pay $3 + tax to upgrade - unsat! Most Hiltons of this type have Executive Lounges and all breakfast food is FREE including booze and finger food in the evening. No Executive Lounge here so why is breakfast not free for Diamond members?

In Feb, I had a package where parking was included! No more...I had to pay $25/day for parking...Overpriced...Also, no more Free drink coupons for Seagars or Starbucks.

In addition, all services in the business center are fee based. This is not typical at most Hilton properties.

Overall, this place is clean and the staff is friendly, but for the price to stay here, the value is just not there anymore. They are nickel and dimeing here too much. I will avoid staying here in the future for this reason.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, September 15, 2010
TDubbs - Not so fast! We heard the people and we have changed back the breakfast program, all Gold and Diamond HHonor members can eat the full buffet everyday, no $3 upcharge! Also as of Sept 1 internet is also complimentary to Diamond and Gold members, by Oct 1 we will have added a brand new HSIA DS3 system that should make using the internet a dream! Hilton full service properties are very ala carte so business charges, internet and breakfast vary but we offer so many packages that you can get parking included and many other amenities in different package choices. Hopefully with the internet freebie and with our lobby kiosk that prints boarding passes for free you will have no use for the business center so come on back!
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I love this hotel! It was great to be able to walk up and down King Street to see the shops and to eat at all the restaurants. I got a lot of exercise in doing this.

The breakfast buffet was awesome! Something for every type of diet. Will definitely be back when I'm in the area.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
We are so glad you enjoyed the property, the buffet serves not only American choices but also a European flair! Thank you so much for staying with us and we look forward to your return!
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I loved this hotel. The rooms were beautiful, the staff went out of there way to please us. Very comfortable beddings and toiletries in bathroom. Great location in beautiful section of Alexandria and Metro stop right across the street. Bar open until midnight with good beer selection.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
I was very thrilled to see your feedback on the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write about the property and even better I amglad you enjoyed the room, the amenities and the great beer! Look forward to seeing your return. Thank you!
fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Reviewed August 9, 2010

The front desk attendant made us feel like V.I.P., giving us all the information we needed and assisted us in parking, bags, and local event information. We had a wonderful evening walking and taking the trolley up and down King Street. The gym and pool were very nice, the only thing was there was no hot tub. We had a memorable breakfast with an attentive, pleasant server. We will plan on staying here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for the kind words, we try very hard to provide a special service to our guests and your return is importnat to us! I know just the employee you are speaking of and I will certainly relay the feedback! Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to you coming back to stay with us!
Massapequa Park, NY
Reviewed June 14, 2010

This hotel is in a great location right by the Metro. We got off the train and checked in. Asked for a quiet room. Room was really big and spacious. Bathroom was marble and shower worked great. No noise from street or other rooms. Breakfast was served by a really nice local guy who gave us some info about the area. Close to downtown, but quiet street, although lots of restaurants and light, so not scary to walk at night. Overall great stay for one night and would highly recommend !!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
We are very happy that you had a great stay, the convenience of the train is excellent and the city has great charm. Thanks for the great feedback on the room and breakfast and we hope to see you soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 22, 2010

This is a great hotel for its nice clean rooms, proximity to metro, in-hotel restaurant/bar, internet (at a price); however, for the price of this hotel, it is not a great value.

I have stayed in this hotel for business many times. Check-in is usually fast and with a smile. If you are a Hilton Gold member you can get either free breakfast daily, bonus points, or free internet. One bad thing about this hotel is staying in the rooms on the metro side. If you are not a morning person, you will be woken up by the noise of the train everyday. I usually request a room opposite the train side.

The rooms are nice, fair size, have a small fridge, and clean. The bed is really comfortable and TV is a nice flat screen; however, I have had problems with the TV service cutting in out and out of service and the hotel was not able to do anything about it other than send a service person to my room the next day after the problem already resolved itself and NO compensation whatsoever. I've only had this problem at night, when I usually watch TV after work. The hotel also has a pretty decent gym that includes free weights, machine, cardio machines with tvs. Towels and cold water provided as well. There is also a swimming pool, but I never used it.

The in-hotel restaurant/bar is actually very good. They have a breakfast buffet which was really good. I never had lunch there. Their dinner is also good as well. I would recommend the salmon and would not recommend their chicken/turkey(?) sandwich. The gyro is also good as well. The bar area has daily specials posted around the hotel and in the elevators that are also a good deal. Service is good in both the restaurant and the bar. Although it is good service for a hotel, I would not consider it fine dining.

If taking the metro to DC area, it takes about 30 mins. You can also take a nice stroll down king st to the waterfront. There are many nice restaurants and shops along the way, but most places close early.

CONS: expensive parking $25/night, $10 24-hour period for internet, noisy rooms by the train, compact parking in the garage

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, May 24, 2010
I did want to thank you for the overall positive recommendation. True the train can be noisy but we are the closest and most convenient for Metro travel in Old Town. As a Hilton Gold member if returning we can put in your profile that you would prefer a room away from the train side. I apologize for the TV issue you experienced, unfortunatley with cable many things can be affecting that signal from construction in the area to weather related issues, I do apologize for the inconvenience. I did want to let you know as well we offer many packages, one called "Get Wired," it includes breakfast, parking and internet just for future knowledge. We do appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return!