“Great location”

Hilton Alexandria Old Town
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Had a very enjoyable stay at this Hilton. The hotel itself is very nice and we had a great stay. The room was spacious with a large flat screen TV and lots of other amenities. But the best thing about this hotel is its location. It is right on King street so if you want to take a leisurely stroll down King street and shop, it's right there. If you would prefer to take the King street trolley, it stops right across the street from the hotel. And best yet, if you want to come and go downtown on the metro, the King Street metro is literally across the street from the hotel. We took the metro to and from Reagan airport , which is only two stops from the King street Metro and the hotel. Even hauling our luggage onto the metro was no big deal. There is a good restaurant in the hotel, but Joe Thiesman's is right across the street and the food there was excellent too. While this is a very nice hotel, the best feature is its location!

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 8, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 5 consecutive days as I was down in Alexandria for work. The staff was nice upon check-in after about 3 days of staying there I noticed a $200 charge to my card from the hotel. I also saw my room service charge and my hotel restaurant charges. It did not make any sense what this $200 was for. I went to the front desk and asked what it was. They told me that housekeeping said they smelled smoke in the room so this was a smoking in the room charge. The funniest part is I DID NOT smoke in the room. I was constantly (every few hours) going outside the main lobby doors to smoke. I talked with the manager and after going back and forth for about 20 minutes I got the charge dropped. They said well maybe your clothes smell like smoke, that's the only logical explanation I could find and that's all they could find too. I told them that if they were going to charge me for something like this I wanted them to garnish actual proof rather than a housekeeping person saying I smell smoke.

I never again stayed at this hotel and every other visit i choose the other hotel as well.

I will never again book another room at the hilton after having to fight to get my money back and then wait 5-7 days for it to go back on my account. The staff/management should have approached me before blindly charging my card.

Not to mention they also charge you $36 for a 3-day pass for wifi. You would think that for the cost of the rooms on a per night basis they would include that at-least for travellers staying 5 days.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank jcrawford27
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The Hilton in Old town Alexandria was definitely a good choice for me. I stayed there because I needed access to DC and MD. The Hilton had the metro station right across the street which gave me easy access to DC and there were plenty of restaurants in the King Street are so I never had to go very far for a good bite to eat. If you didn't want to walk down King St. there was also a free trolley that ran daily until 10pm.
My room was spacious, clean, quiet and comfortable. I couldn't really ask for more. The only thing I'd say to beware of is to check your check-out statement carefully. They did try to charge me for an extra night of parking when I hadn't even had a car there yet. But they did fix the mistake quickly.
All in all a good stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank trvlndance
Reviewed August 24, 2009

My wife and I checked in on Friday August 21st 2009 for a two night stay. Arrival was very easy – I parked under covered entryway just off of King Street. The front desk staff was very efficient. We were upgraded two room categories (I'm a Hilton Diamond Member) into a corner suite. The rate I booked online was $129.00 per night which included parking. The room we were given was a King Bed Sovereign Suite that I would have never booked at a rate of $320.00 that was listed on the website when I booked.

My advice is to book the rate that includes parking, it's actually couple dollars cheaper – and change you’re Hilton my way preference to get a room upgrade if you’re a Diamond Member – What an amazing room. The only complaint about the room was that the tub/shower is VERY dark. But it really wasn’t an issue. The room was wonderful!

A few notes about the hotel -
The parking garage requires your room key card for entry AND exit. The garage is a little confusing, but it's very spacious. If you are the type that HATES tight parking garages stay at the Hilton instead of the Hampton Inn just up the street. King Street Hampton Inn's parking garage is VERY VERY tight. We were on the 4th floor in a corner suite - beautiful view of the George Washington Masonic Memorial and all the people coming and going from the King Street Metro Station. A word of warning - if you like your hotel room to be totally silent after 8:00pm request a room on the King Street side of the building. This property is DIRECTLY across from the King Street Metro Station, extremely easy walk - even if you had luggage (King Street is only a couple stops south of DCA/Regan with very easy Metro Access) the walk is less than a block.

Accessing most of the hotel floors requires your key card, always carry it with you, even if someone in your party is in your room to let you back in, you can't get to the room without your key card due to elevator floor restrictions.

If you are a Hilton Diamond Member you will be given the option of free high speed (wired and/or wireless) internet for length of stay or free continental breakfast. You can use your continental breakfast certificate toward the breakfast buffet and pay an additional $3.00 per day. The food is very good, and the service is excellent! We only had breakfast - so I don't know about lunch or dinner.

For the price - you are definitely getting more for your money staying at the Hilton King Street rather than the Embassy Suites or Hampton Inn. All are a very short distance to the Metro - with the Hilton being the closest.

I have stayed in all three - and I suggest staying at the Hilton. The Hampton Inn's rooms are very small - the corridors narrow - and not even one of the nicest Hampton Inns that I have visited.
The Embassy Suites lobby has been renovated - but the rooms have not. I stayed there a little less than a year ago and rooms very worn - the bathrooms cramped - and the carpets not so clean. I saw a rodent darting around the Atrium in the evening on my last night there - so needless to say, I was glad it was my last night.

If you want clean, comfortable and spacious - then the Hilton King Street is a great fit! You can't beat the location, service or quality of accommodation. This is actually one of the nicest Hilton properties I have had the opportunity to visit. You won’t regret staying there!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Recently my husband and I spent the weekend at this hotel. First of all, we were able to get a $99 a night deal from the Hilton web site. When I prepaid I was given to option to upgrade for $5 a night for a corner room or $19 for a much larger room. We would not find out if an upgraded room was available until we checked it. We were upgraded to the larger room which was very clean and spacious. I was hoping for a pretty view, but that didn't happen.
I will say the night clerk at the desk when we checked in, seemed a little confused, we got there after midnight.
Having the self parking in the building was perfect for us. The metro was directly across the street, another plus.
When we went to check out there was an error on bill, which was quickly fixed when I pointed it out.
We would stay here again.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2009

My husband, daughter and I stayed in Alexandria for one night at the end of a college trip.We travel to DC frequently, but this was the first time we stayed in Alexandria. What a breath of fresh air after two days in a very disappointing hotel near Georgetown!
Positives: This is a typical and consistent Hilton Hotel room. The room was large, clean and with very comfortable beds and pillows. It was the first night's sleep I had since leaving home. The staff were replacing the rugs in the lobby when we arrived and are in the process of updating the older TV sets to flat screens. You can self-park in the underground garage and take the hotel elevator directly to your floor using your room key to allow access to your specific floor. The hotel is one block from the Alexandria Metro station and directly on King Street in Old Town. It is approximately a 25-minute walk to the harbor area or you can take the free King Street Trolley. The restaurant choice is staggering in the number and variety of cuisines and price points available.
Negatives: None worth mentioning.
We are returning to DC within the next few months and are disappointed that the increased pricing of this hotel for that week will not permit us to stay at the Hilton again on our next trip.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2009

The tower room are great. The "retreat" rooms, not so much. The difference is like night and day. The tower building offers the feeling of a luxury hotel: good amenities and decor. The "retreat" building is not much different than a cheap motel: a strong cigarette odor welcomes visitors and follows all the way to the room.

During my check-in, which I did past 8pm, I was informed that I would receive a "retreat" room if I "preferred not to wait since it would take a while to prepare a room in the tower". This comment was quickly replaced by "there's no rooms available in the tower", and an assurance that the retreat was "great".

I had a hard time breathing in the retreat building. I called the front desk, asked to be moved but it wasn't until I mentioned that I suffer from asthma that a room in the tower was offered. I was glad I moved. The tower room was great.

Per the front desk personnel, be sure to request a room in the tower when making your reservation.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business