“Comfy and Quiet”

Hilton Alexandria Old Town
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This hotel was chosen for it's price and location and it turned out to be better than expected. Most hotels are not this quiet, so I was pleasantly surprised!
The room was clean, bed was comfortable and amenities were great.
I was located very near the train station which was convenient, plus I didn't hear the trains from my room. Also within walking to restaurants and cafes.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Chose the hotel based on location, price and expected experience from Hilton brand. The hotel "delivered" on all three categories. The hotel is an easy walk to the Metro and Amtrak facilities @ King Street, yet surprisingly quiet inside the room. Also, a nice walk to the Old Alexandria shopping district. My wife and I had a pleasant two-night stay in November 2013. We expect to return.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2013

$200+ for this peanut room !! I get a better room at a Best Western and pay $40 a night .no parking fee, no city taxes ! Not the Hilton quality I expected to find ! No Breakfast ! ...Not even a microwave in the room !

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank William L
Charlie B, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry that you were unhappy with the value of your stay.

There are packages available that include some of the items that you write about, which may create a greater value for your needs.

Thanks for the opportunity to address your concerns, We hope to be of service to you again.

Best Regards,

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Got in very early room was available. Staff as always eager to please I enjoy folks knowing my name when I check in and being eager to make the stay the best it can be. Best hotel in Old Town. Definitely my preferred address while visiting DC easy access to metro.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Charlie B, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel, and for the Excellent Review!

Thank you for the kind words about our staff; they will be pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Awesome stay! Very nice location next to the Metro station and across the street from joe theismann's. We had a great dinner there. Room service in the morning was great. A little expensive for breakfast.

Room Tip: Eat at joe theismann's across the street!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

We were pleased to learn that you had such an enjoyable time with us.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Excellent hotel, superb service, strategic location convenient to Washington, DC, Alexandria, VA and US government offices and military installations. Location and easy access to multi-media transportation, as well as reasonable prices should make any comptroller happy. Facility should please anyone on business travel, or on holiday. Service provided was top rung.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 1, 2013

As the title says, the only thing to recommend this hotel is it's location in Old Town Alexandria. If you're not familiar with the area, it is a charming section of Alexandria with great unique shopping and some really wonderful restaurants all within walking distance of this hotel. I was booked in because of a meeting being held there. Now the not so good part of the review.

First, don't ever eat at the restaurant in the hotel. Unfortunately, others in for the meeting had already chosen to eat dinner the first night at the hotel so although I had previous experience, i choose networking to fine dining. I ordered a crab cake entree thinking that any restaurant within shouting distance of the Chesapeake Bay would be able to make at least an edible one. Wrong! What came was the consistency of uncooked poultry stuffing with nothing that looked, tasted or even had the mouthfeel of crab in it. It sat in a pool of some spicy sauce and was covered by watercress that had been soaked in a vinaigrette that only added to the unpleasant consistency of the cake. The experience was even further ruined by the smell of rotten fish that wafted from the kitchen as the entrees we ordered were prepared. Luckily no one at our table became ill but the smell was so strong I was ready to return my dinner uneaten.

Second, in order to have WiFi access in the room, i had to pay $25.00 for the two night one day stay. A little pricey had it worked. I got to the room and after many attempts, i had to call ATT for assistance even getting my iPad connected - and I'm not a novice in the internet world. It remained connected long enough for me to check email then it was dropped. After that, I was totally unsuccessful in reconnecting despite the assurances of the ATT rep that it would remain connected even if I turned it off or left the room. The second evening I decided to just go down to the lobby where there was complimentary WiFi and hook up- unsuccessful there also. At least I got the $25 refunded and could use my iPhone with 4G to get connected.

I was exhausted after the meeting and everyone else had left so I decided I'd just sit in the bar and eat "pub grub" for dinner - how bad could it be? After waiting for over 20 minutes for anyone to even acknowledge my existence and asking twice for service, I got an over priced glass of wine and a flatbread pizza that had been taken out of the freezer and run thru something to heat the edges. Really! the cheese was still congealed on the center of the flatbread even though it was vaguely warm.

Reception on the TV was spotty and the room was showing its age. All in all one of the worst two day experiences I've had in all my travels in the last 10 years. If you want stay in Old Town and can't find anywhere else in your price range ($240 senior rate) then stay here but just for the location.

Room Tip: Don't stay.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Alysson F
Charlie B, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I'm very sorry to hear that there were several areas in which we failed to meet your expectations; please accept our sincere apologies. I have shared your comments with our leadership team so that improvements may be made.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. Your experience was not a typical one, and we hope to have the opportunity to better demonstrate the abilities of our staff and facility.