“Top Notch”

Hilton Alexandria Old Town
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Had a great time at this Hilton over Labor Day Weekend. My wife and I decided to take a trip to DC on a whim and got a great rate here. Last year, my wife and I visited Old Town for the first time and were so impressed with the eclectic shopping and dining as well as the easy access to downtown DC (about 15 min ride to Metro Center Station). On our first visit, we booked the Hampton Inn on King Street and enjoyed our stayed. Although part of the same corporate family, this hotel exceeded our previous stay in several categories. This Hilton is located right on King Street (across from the Old Town Hampton Inn) and is adjacent to the King Street Metro. We booked a king-size bed room and the room was very spacious. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was also very large and accomodating. Additionally, this Hilton does a good job of taking care of their Hilton Honors customers (this seems to vary amongst Hilton hotels) - I made several requests in my room reservation (not near the elevator and ice machine, not on low floor, etc.) and was accomodated on all them. Hilton Honors members also have their own floor(s) in the hotel. We were also given complimentary bottles of cold water upon check -in - which was helpful considering its was 90+ degrees outside. We were also impressed that despite the fact that our room overlooked the Metro, we never once heard the train while we were sleeping or relaxing.

This hotel is top-notch and will be our preferred hotel in the area (I make lots of trips to the DC area). The only negative I would give is that the hotel seems to nickle-dime its guests on some basic amenities. I find wi-fi in your room to be a basic service, but the hotel charges $14.99 per device to have personal wi-fi access in your room. I just stayed at a Comfort Inn in upstate NY, by no means is that an equivalent hotel or market, but wi-fi was absolutely free. To the Hilton's credit, wi-fi is free in its lobby. The hotel also charges $25 for "early" check-in (I waited until normal check-in time), something most guests would not expect to pay for unless they were making an unusual request.

Additionally, parking at the hotel is $34 a night which is exorbitant (the Hampton Inn charged $15) - although I expect that I may have to pay for parking, the price that the hotel asks is too high. It is even more exorbitant when taking into account that there is free day-time parking on the weekend in the Metro station lot across the street and that there seemed to be plenty of overnight parking spots on the street this weekend. For weekend guests, I advise that you not pay for parking in the hotel garage, it simply isn't worth it.

Again, this hotel was great and excels when considering comfort, location, and professionalism. I highly recommend that you stay here when visiting the DC-area and Northern Virginia.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bluescreen2
There are newer reviews for Hilton Alexandria Old Town

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Nice hotel, good breakfast good position on King St, friendly receptionist. The public areas are nice and Starbucks is a good idea. We had a suite which was big but a little tired with stained carpet. The gym facilities were limited a handful of gym equipment (step, a bike and running) tucked away in a room on 2nd floor but at least there was some stuff in the gym room not just 1 machine and a couple of weights. We ran the next day as there is a fabulous 8 mile run down King Street and up across to the park by the River side. The husband and teenager ran almost to the airport and so many people were running. It was nice to see the Sat market full of people too. Car park was fine (expensive but comparable with other big towns) didn't find it tight and we had a 4X4. WiFi expensive though and a bit hit and miss in public areas.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed for one night and didn't disappoint. Easy Metro ride from Reagan National to King St station and one block walk to hotel. Countless restaurants from Subway to high end cuisine within easy walk from hotel. Fitness center is the biggest and most well equipped i've ever seen. Front desk staff very professional and helpful. Definitely will stay again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Great hotel in nice area with good restaurant options, and close to metro. I checked in and was told i was upgraded to a suite. Go to my room on the second floor and it was a business suite, so it just had a huge table in the extra room. I was on the second floor right outside the metro stop, but surprisingly you could no really here the metro. (there was a freight train that runs right next to the metro, and you cold here that, but it didn't run at night during my stay.) Hhonors gold free breakfast which was a buffet or a menu item. I was in a hurry so got a typical but still good Hilton buffet. Wish i would have had more time because the waiter said i could get any one thing of the menu as well. Would stay here again but would rather get a 6th floor room rather than a second floor business suite.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My friends & I came to Old Town for some r&r and that's exactly what we got at the Hilton. The staff were upbeat, pleasant & accommodating to our requests. I felt the communication prior & post stay via email reinforced the value they see in their customers. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Alexandria.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Nice clean hotel, friendly staff and a wonderfual bar/restaurant. Front counter check in was very efficient and pleasant. Hotel is a short walk from DC Metro and Amtrak station. Various shopping and other restaurants are in walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Even for the first time visitor to Alexandia, this hotel is pretty easy to find...figuring out the parking once you get there is another story. Once you pull into the parking garage you'll have to drive all the way down to the basement (that's where the designated "Hilton" parking spaces are). And if you accidentally park in the wrong area you will get a ticket (luckily I didn't on this trip but I saw plenty of others who did). I've got to say that this parking garage hands down was one of the most confusing garage I've ever been in! I had a hard time finding the elevators to get to the hotel even after I parked. But after all that craziness for about 15 mins, I finally made it up to the hotel, which was very nice. Very clean. And a mostly helpful staff...(can't say much for the front desk help though). I had spent a couple nights in a room on the train station side of the building and just couldn't take the sound of the metro making stops and taking off again every 2 minutes all day and night, so I asked the front desk if I could change rooms (away from the train tracks). They said yes, I changed rooms, and...when I got to my new room it was on the front of the building directly facing the train tracks and also now King Street (which gets pretty busy).
So, basicly:
The Pros: it is a very nice hotel, good breakfast, friendly (mostly) helpful staff, and within walking distance to everything, and of course very close to the metro.
The Cons: Very close to the metro (noise), terrible parking garage, and the very expensive cost for anything extra (like Wifi, or breakfast...which I think should be complimentiary being that you are paying soo much just to sleep there).
So, all in all...it is a nice hotel to stay at (a bit pricey, but it is the city so "what can ya do".) Great location as far as being downtown close to everything, just a little too close to the train.

Room Tip: If you stay here just be very specific about wanting your room on the side facing away from the trai...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business