“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 52 Hotels in Alexandria
richmond va
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I met my husband here by taking Amtrak to the Alexandria train station, which is located adjacent to the Metro station, and is a micro-walk to the hotel. Was thrilled about the Starbucks in the lobby and while there was plenty of room to sit and relax in the lobby area, we were able to check into our room a little after noon thanks to the very pleasant front desk attendant. The room was clean, comfortable and well equipped with amenities. Luckily we did not have a room facing the Metro tracks so it was pretty quiet. We went into DC for the day and the location next to the Metro could not be better for that, especially with a young child. We also walked around Old Town Alexandria one morning, and while the hotel is a few blocks from most of the buzz, it wasn't a terrible walk. I'd choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: ask for one not facing metro tracks
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Charlie B, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our hotel and for the "Very Good" rating.

I am pleased to report that as of mid August 2013 all rooms that face the Metro Station have had sound proof windows installed! Now all the convenience of being 37 steps from the Metro - without any of the noise!

Thanks again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We hope to be of service to you again soon.

Charlie Banta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Provo, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have been staying here at the same time every year for a number of years. I was very disappointed with this stay. As previous reviewers have stated, make sure your room is not overlooking the train/metro tracks-- it's very noisy, particularly in the evening and early morning. In addition to the train, they were working on the garage most of the day, and it was even noisier. I asked to be moved to another room, but the front desk told me they could not move me-- they told me to come down and work in the lobby! I ended up cutting my stay short and going to another hotel. I've had a good experience in the past-- not this year!

Other reviewers are correct regarding general location. It's a convenient walk through Old Town.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not adjacent to the metro tracks.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank 360time
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our hotel. Please accept our apologies for the areas in which we fell short of your expectations.

Morgantown, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This hotel is a nice Hilton in a nice location. However, the convenience of being close to the Metro comes with a price. If you are a light sleeper, be warned that rooms on the side by the train track are very noisy. In addition to the Metro, Amtrak uses these tracks, and the trains plus their whistles are annoying, especially at night when you're trying to sleep. I would not stay there again unless I was promised a quieter room.

Room Tip: Avoid room 312
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank MountaineerTraveller

Olney, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Very nice staff. I enjoyed the fitness room and the Starbucks in the lobby. I was there for business so I experienced the conference facilities which are nicely laid out and maintained. It did get too hot in my conference room, but I don't know if my facilitators complained about it. Great location, but I didn't have any time to explore.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
      Cleanliness
Joseph M, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Your comments are a true testament to everything we strive to achieve. I am glad you enjoyed you stay with us including the Stabucks in the Lobby and the Fitness Center. If you did not have a chance this time, be sure to check out the rest of Old Town for all it has to offer! I look forward to your next visit.
Porto Alegre
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

make sure to tell the driver you want to go to the old town hilton because there are two in alexandria. but the old town one is at an excellent location, by a metro station, you can come from the airport by metro and go back, no problem at all. and it is on the main street with all the shops that lead to the harbor. the rooms are big, the linens and beds excellent, no noises, amenities in the bathroom are excellent and the breakfast is amazing. the staff was very helpful.good internet in the room. we got a deal with free breakfast and internet so it was great. the atms charge 3,50 for withdrawals.

Room Tip: ask for one not close to the elevators
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thanks you so much for your excellent comments. Our Hotel's location is unmarched in the Alexandria Old Town area. King street is the Major attraction in Old Town with great Restaurants and shops.Thanks again for the feedback and look forward to you return.
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We found the hotel easily. The location was perfect. It is right next door to the metro station. The metro was very easy to use and so convenient to travel into DC. The ride takes approx 30 minutes. The hotel was very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. King St. has many great places to eat and shop. The free King St. trolley was a great bonus for the area. We had no difficulty with niose from the street or metro traffic. When we stayed (Jan24-27, 2013) the pool was out of order, but everything else was great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Candi K
Excellent feedbeack! We strive to provide the best possible service and your comments validates our efforts. Thanks so much for the stay and look forward welcoming you back.
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

The best thing about this hotel is the location right next to the metro. Other than that this is a standard Hilton property which means nothing special. The rooms here need updating. The furniture is starting to look beat up and the bathroom has rusty light fixtures and door hinges plus a reaaly dated counter top. I really don't understand all of the "excellent" ratings.

That said the rooms are large enough to move around in; they have desk chairs and flat screen TVs. The toiletries are nice and the towels are thicker than the norm. Tub/shower combo with grab bar. Good water pressure with decent shower head but maybe that metal thing that covers up where the water pipe coming out of the wall needs to be glued back on someday. Comfortable bed and pillows. Quiet room. The room has a roomy safe. Also coffee maker.

My companions tried the breakfast buffet one morning and declared it horrible. Based on that I had the fruit and yogurt only which were fine; otherwise we skipped eating there. TIP - walk to Theismanns across the street for a decent lunch/dinner.

Starbucks in lobby is a nice touch. There is no gift shop just a few shelves of stuff like toothpaste adjacent to registration. No snacks/drinks available in room. Try vending machine where the ice machine is located.

The personnel are friendly and helpful. Free wifi in lobby; if you are an Honor's member Gold or above you have free wifi in room and it works well.

This should not be considered a bad review by any means; this hotel is just a typical Hilton and if you are a business traveler you know what I mean.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Karin A
First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I appreciate your detailed feedback. However I apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. I understand the condition of your guest room was an area of concern, I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind as we look towards refresh options. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.