“Good location, but rooms next to the train track are noisy”

Hilton Alexandria Old Town
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This hotel is a nice Hilton in a nice location. However, the convenience of being close to the Metro comes with a price. If you are a light sleeper, be warned that rooms on the side by the train track are very noisy. In addition to the Metro, Amtrak uses these tracks, and the trains plus their whistles are annoying, especially at night when you're trying to sleep. I would not stay there again unless I was promised a quieter room.

Room Tip: Avoid room 312
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MountaineerTraveller
Charlie B, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our hotel. Please accept our apologies for the areas in which we fell short of your expectations.

I am pleased to report that as of mid August 2013 all rooms that face the Metro Station have had sound proof windows installed! Now all the convenience of being 37 steps from the Metro - without any of the noise!

Thanks again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We hope to be of service to you again soon.

Charlie Banta

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Very nice staff. I enjoyed the fitness room and the Starbucks in the lobby. I was there for business so I experienced the conference facilities which are nicely laid out and maintained. It did get too hot in my conference room, but I don't know if my facilitators complained about it. Great location, but I didn't have any time to explore.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Joseph M, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Your comments are a true testament to everything we strive to achieve. I am glad you enjoyed you stay with us including the Stabucks in the Lobby and the Fitness Center. If you did not have a chance this time, be sure to check out the rest of Old Town for all it has to offer! I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

make sure to tell the driver you want to go to the old town hilton because there are two in alexandria. but the old town one is at an excellent location, by a metro station, you can come from the airport by metro and go back, no problem at all. and it is on the main street with all the shops that lead to the harbor. the rooms are big, the linens and beds excellent, no noises, amenities in the bathroom are excellent and the breakfast is amazing. the staff was very helpful.good internet in the room. we got a deal with free breakfast and internet so it was great. the atms charge 3,50 for withdrawals.

Room Tip: ask for one not close to the elevators
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thanks you so much for your excellent comments. Our Hotel's location is unmarched in the Alexandria Old Town area. King street is the Major attraction in Old Town with great Restaurants and shops.Thanks again for the feedback and look forward to you return.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We found the hotel easily. The location was perfect. It is right next door to the metro station. The metro was very easy to use and so convenient to travel into DC. The ride takes approx 30 minutes. The hotel was very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. King St. has many great places to eat and shop. The free King St. trolley was a great bonus for the area. We had no difficulty with niose from the street or metro traffic. When we stayed (Jan24-27, 2013) the pool was out of order, but everything else was great.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Candi K

Excellent feedbeack! We strive to provide the best possible service and your comments validates our efforts. Thanks so much for the stay and look forward welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

The best thing about this hotel is the location right next to the metro. Other than that this is a standard Hilton property which means nothing special. The rooms here need updating. The furniture is starting to look beat up and the bathroom has rusty light fixtures and door hinges plus a reaaly dated counter top. I really don't understand all of the "excellent" ratings.

That said the rooms are large enough to move around in; they have desk chairs and flat screen TVs. The toiletries are nice and the towels are thicker than the norm. Tub/shower combo with grab bar. Good water pressure with decent shower head but maybe that metal thing that covers up where the water pipe coming out of the wall needs to be glued back on someday. Comfortable bed and pillows. Quiet room. The room has a roomy safe. Also coffee maker.

My companions tried the breakfast buffet one morning and declared it horrible. Based on that I had the fruit and yogurt only which were fine; otherwise we skipped eating there. TIP - walk to Theismanns across the street for a decent lunch/dinner.

Starbucks in lobby is a nice touch. There is no gift shop just a few shelves of stuff like toothpaste adjacent to registration. No snacks/drinks available in room. Try vending machine where the ice machine is located.

The personnel are friendly and helpful. Free wifi in lobby; if you are an Honor's member Gold or above you have free wifi in room and it works well.

This should not be considered a bad review by any means; this hotel is just a typical Hilton and if you are a business traveler you know what I mean.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank tierradeluz

First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I appreciate your detailed feedback. However I apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. I understand the condition of your guest room was an area of concern, I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind as we look towards refresh options. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed here for a few nights for Business. Location is great. Next to metro, and easy access to the highways. (Working at Andrews AFB was less than 15 minutes during peak times) Rooms were on par with other upscale Hiltons. Nothing amazing, but nothing to complain about either. I had an inside courtyard view on the top (6th) floor. I would ask for an outside or street view next time. I could walk to 100 restaurants in less than 10 minutes. From cheap fastfood, to upscale $100 a meal places, and everything in between. Lots of shopping and unique shops on Kings street as well.Parking was a pain for $32 during the garage remodel. I did not see any other parking garages though. Street parking is free at night until 7 or 8am and free on Sundays. I am planning on coming a work/pleasure trip in the spring and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank truprunbike

I appreciate the comments regarding our Location and glad you enjoyed the Alexandria Old Town area and all that it has to offer. Thanks for your parience with our Hotel Garage whiles we are remodeling to better serve our guest. I certainly hope you have the opportunity to join us again soon!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is a gorgeous hotel and the location is spectacular. Only a 10 minute drive into DC (on a good traffic day which is rare) and right across the street from the Metro station. It is also right in the middle of Old Town Alexandria on King Street.

The staff at the hotel are so very nice and accomodating. When my mom and I were trying to get dinner at 10 at night they said that the kitchen was closing down for dinner but if we wanted them to make something off of the dinner menu they would still do it. They did and it was dee-vine. We had duck quesadillas and lump crab cake with steak fries. Yes a strange combination but we were trying to try different things.

Breakfast is also good. We had a very nice waiter whose name I can't remember :( but he was very nice and accomodating each day we came. Sometimes if you go to hotels and you hand them a voucher for free breakfast they pretend that you aren't there but this was not the case here.

We had a one bedroom suite which worked perfectly for us...I gladly took to the sofa. I didn't use the pull out. My mom had the bed. The room was very spacious with one tv in the living area and one in the bedroom area. The bathroom had marble floors and the toiletries were nice. I can't think of the name of the brand but I know its all high end and they smelled nice.

The only thing that was a pain in the behind was the parking. Whomever manages the parking deck below the hotel was remodeling at the time we stayed there and it was a pain in the behind. A lot of the driveways were one way so they had little traffic lights that you were suppose to obey because only one car could go thru at a time...most people didn't obey that and you ended up with a hot mess because 2 cars couldn't get by at a time.

Also the wifi is expensive as all get out. If you have ATT or UVERSE service at home you can sign into your account thru the hotel and that gives you free wifi there. Otherwise you have to go into the lobby or pay the inflated cost.

I will come back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tunicia

Fantastic Review! Thanks so much for the detailed review on our location, staff and amenities our Hotel has to offer. I do apologize the issues you encountered with our parking Garage. We are currenlty remodeling to better serve our guest. Thanks again for the feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.