“A great alternative to pricey Washington DC hotels”

Hilton Alexandria Old Town
Ranked #7 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
New York City, New York
“A great alternative to pricey Washington DC hotels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

Don't let me fool you from the title, this isn't an inexpensive hotel. But compared to similar hotels in Arlington, VA and Washington, DC you can expect to save over a hundred dollars. Outside the front door is METRO Transits King Street Station, next to that is the railroad station serviced by Amtrak and Virginia Railway Express (commuter rail service). Between the three, this hotel is linked perfectly with Washington, DC.

During my visit to the Washington, DC area I choose this hotel for price, convenience, and the lovely "Old Town" area that Alexandria has to offer. Alexandria is an upscale town, clean and very well manicured. You will not find fast food places in this area. As a matter of fact, if high class dining isn't your thing you will have a difficult time finding a meal. Only a Dunkin' Donuts and a Subway Sandwich shop are within walking distance of this hotel. Both housed in fancy store fronts surrounded by cobble-stone sidewalks.

The Hilton Hotel is perfect! Check-in was simple and quick. My special request was honored (although an email I sent them a few days prior to confirm the special request was never replied to), but it worked out fine anyway. The room was clean, and well cared for. I had that feel like I was the first guest to stay in that room "feeling". Beds, TV, shower, and everything else in the room worked as designed. Don't let the fact that trains that operate near the hotel discourage you, my room faced the railroad directly and there was no outside noise at all. Additionally, most of the trains stop running during the 8pm hour, and don't begin until around 6am. I know that because I was reading up of train service since I used the railroad to come to Alexandria. I wasn't woken up at all during my one night stay, the hallway and rooms were quiet as well.

Weekend rates are much better then weekday room rates. I anticipate returning to this hotel next time I'm in the area!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
hiltonoldtown, Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Dear RailfanMotels,

I was thrilled you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us as well as the charm of Old Town Alexandria. At the Hilton Old Town, we strive to provide the best possible service and accomodations and your comments validates our efforts. Once again thank you very much for the stay and looking forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

A very nice hotel with excellent location, but rooms on the west side are maybe 25 yards from the Metro line and Virginia Rail Express. Trains start moving at 5am, so you're up at that hour whether you want to be or not.
Everything else about this hotel was great.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Tonsomiles,
Thank you very much for the nice comments about our Hotel. I am also glad you enjoyed every aspect of our Hotel except the noise from the Metro rail. Most of our Guest do enjoy the convienience of the Metro rail system to various locations and at the same time, we do realize it can be noisy at times. Kindly let me know the next time you stay with us and I will personally make sure you are blocked into a Room on the East side of the Building. Thanks again for staying with us.
South Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

Check in was simple and very informational. A lot of helpful directions and tips for success for the upcoming stay. We were told we were on the quiet side and, while that didn't turn out to be true - we could see the Metro from our window - sound from the Metro wasn't noticeable. But having the Metro station across the street was very convenient for jaunts into DC and for friends who visited us from Montgomery County. Being at the end of King St., the main street of Old Town Alexandria, was also good. It's only a 15 minute easy walk to the other end and the free trolley was available when we didn't want to walk the street of shops and restaurants.

The parking was convenient in the hotel garage, paying for it, not so much, but we got a discount. And having to pay if you wanted Internet in your room when even fleabags offer it free wasn't nice at all.

Two other incidents that showed good service though: I asked for the location of a post office and while I needed a special service, the offer to mail it for me was nice, even though it's kind of standard of upper end hotels. The other was an evening when their free Internet in the lobby wasn't working. I took it to the registration desk for help and the night guy set me up in seconds.

They weren't nearly sold out in early April, even though they had a conference using the place each day we were there, so you might be able to negotiate down the rate for an imminent stay.

Room Tip: The rooms above the 2nd floor require the room key to work the elevator - a little extra security.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
I am pleased our Front Desk Team had such a positive and memorable impact on your visit. I am glad you also enjoyed the convienience of the Metro System to the DC areas attractions. We look forward to welcoming you back. Thanks again.
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

Lovely hotel in adorable old town Alexandria. Very comfortable beds and spacious room with plenty of space to work. Attended a business meeting there and the food and service was exceptionally good. Quick metro ride to airport or Amtrak station. Wonderful

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear, NyerUWS,
I am glad you appreciated the accomodations and the level of service you received from our entire staff whiles you were staying on a Business trip with us. Old Town Alexandria is an exceptional place and all the attractions it has to offer. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Boyle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

As a Diamond HHonors member I get to stay in many Hiltons. I would rate this hotel as one of the best. Meredith at check-in was a delight to deal with. She assigned me (as requested) a quiet room on the opposite side of the building from the Metro train traffic.The very pleasant Stephen at concierge helped me with my luggage My room was 551 on the HHonors floor. Upon entering I was amazed by the size and very pleasant layout of the room. The quality of the fixtures and fittings were top notch with a 32" flat screen tv, nice coffee area just inside the door, a more than adequate size bathroom and a huge work desk to use. Internet was very fast. After a good night's sleep I went down to breakfast where I met the most accomodating Danny and Pellegrino. Nothing was a problem including getting some bottled water to go. After a three day stay I felt rested and rejuvinated. Robert at the front desk is a great ambassador for the Hilton brand as well, organising for me a late checkout effortlessly even though the hotel was fully booked. Any negatives, none. Enjoy your stay here.

Room Tip: Get a room on the side of the hotel away from the Metro system.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Dear Naillic,
I am pleased to note you found Old Town Alexandria Hilton to be one of the best Hotels within the Hilton brand as a Hilton Daimond member. We have an exceptional staff and we will continue to encourage them to provide the best possible service to all our guest. I am also glad you mentioned the room decor, the layout as well as the amenities we offer. We hope you have the opportunity to return back to our Hotel soon.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Not the best Hilton we stayed in, but the staff was friendly and helpful and the rooms were spacious and comfortable.
The room was not "Hilton" clean,but we were there for a stop over and overlooked this until my wife stepped on a M&M.
Another hotel that charges a hefty fee for parking and of course internet connection.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JPL,
I was delighted to note you found our staff to be friendly and helpful as well as our Hotel rooms to be spacious and comfortable. My apologies about the room cleanliness and I can asure you it is not the norm for our Hotel. Lets talk offline to see what I can do for you.
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

No Concierge Lounge for frequent travelers. Poorly arranged fitness room with two machines that didn't work. Skimpy rough towels special to the fitness room that had to be left there. What's wrong with regular towels? Rooms barely adequate for a regular Hilton. Location is not the only thing a hotel must have to be a good Hilton property. I won't return. There are other options within a block.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank acoulter
Dear Mr Coulter,
Thank you very much for the feedback. At the Hilton, we strive to provide the very best in service and I sorry your experience fell short of that expectation. I can assure you the experience you had is not the norm for our Hotel and I will contact you offline to discuss further. Once again please accept my sincerest apologies.