“Good value and location”

Hampton Inn Alexandria - Old Town/King Street Metro
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We just returned from a trip to DC and stayed for 5 nights in two rooms (one suite and one regular room). For DC this is a good value and location. You are about two blocks from a metro, overnight parking is $15/night and you can come and go and you are on King Street which has a free shuttle up and down the street making it easy to get to the waterfront, restaurants, torpedo factory, etc.

The hotel is pretty good. The unit in the rooms that provides heat is one of the noisiest I have ever experienced - and this was the case in both rooms. It was so loud when it would kick on, that we ended up turning it off for the night and just dealing with the room getting cold as it was preferable to constantly waking up. We also had an issue with the TV in our sitting area not getting sports channels that it should have had. Being an older hotel, the elevators are very slow and the amenities are few. We had a need to scan and email documents and the front desk had no idea how or where we could do this.

However, the morning breakfast was good every morning. I'm gluten free, but could always have fruit, yogurt and hard boiled eggs - which I appreciated. There were hot items for the others as well. Seating was limited, but you could take things to go. They had coffee and tea available all of the time in the lobby. There is no restaurant on site, but there are many nearby.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor. We heard the fourth floor was noisy. The second floor includes the fitness...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank planitohio
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Alexandria - Old Town/King Street Metro

Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Although the hotel isn't directly in Old Town, it's a great place to stay for it. They offer a free 24 hour shuttle to the heart of Old Town which was very convenient. Service was extremely friendly especially the drivers. I would have given it five stars but the bath faucet was a little finicky and it took quite awhile for the hot water to come in. Nothing major though.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank deaner02
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in early November. The staff is pleasant and helpful. The location is excellent - only 2 blocks to the Metro, near many restaurants incuding #1 Brabo and Joe Theisman's steak house, just s short walk into the heart of Old Town, right on the free Trolley line but...........the carpet in our room was very worn and in need of replacing, so the hotel needs some updating and some freshing up. But, this should not dissuade you from going here as it is a good value at $125/night. I would still recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LancasterTraveler
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I was on a business trip in Washington, DC during a busy time of the year. Especially this year in the US since it is the election period and we couldn't get anything closer to the downtown Washington area. Well this was a good decision because the Hampton Inn is very well location on King street in Alexandria. The staff is very helpful and the hotel is very well maintained. There is a continental breakfast served every morning and rarely I have seen the same menu in the whole week that we stayed. I felt secure knowing that the main door of the hotel is locked after 23:00 and you need your room card to access the hotel or buzz the front desk clerk.

I really enjoy my stay. Somewhat a little pricy but yet don't forget the time of the year.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed here over Columbus Day weekend to visit some friends who reside in Alexandria. We both love visiting DC and always opted to stay in the city when we made our trips. I will say that won't be the case anymore! I like staying in Hampton Inns because they are reliable - you always know what you'll get at the Hampton Inn, it's not the Ritz but it's not the Days Inn either - plus you get a terrific breakfast. Old Town is a really fantastic place with nice quaint shops and restaurants as well as a real rustic southern charm. Plus, it's probably a ten minute metro ride into downtown DC (the King Street stop is a stone's throw away from the hotel, incredbily convenient). Moreover, staying here was probably 3x less than what I would have paid in the city that weekend - and I probably got much better service too.

One tip that I'd give to those who are staying over the weekend is do not pay the $15 parking fee each night at the hotel. The King Street metro stop has a parking lot that you can use for free without any time limits on the weekend. Again, it's literally one block south of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I needed a hotel convenient to the tourist sights in D.C. and found a nice one in the Hampton King St./Metro. We booked online and found the hotel website to be accurate in its description of the hotel and surroundings. Our room was clean and spacious, except for a well-worn carpet. We checked very closely upon arrival and found no sign of bedbugs! Wireless internet is free, also.
The breakfast area and lobby are clean and new-looking. Freeby newspapers are available for the taking. Breakfast is free with fresh fruit and some hot items. Since it was free, I won't complain much about the flour-paste oatmeal.
Transportation via the metro train is a big plus. The metro station is a 1/4 mile walk from the hotel and connections to all points require minimum waiting and fares are low. We flew in and out through Reagan and took the Metro between the air terminal and hotel (7 minute ride for $2.35 each).
We checked out at 5:30 a.m. and were a little uneasy about rolling our luggage alone down the deserted street to the Metro but the only threats we saw were yuppies out for morning runs.
Everyone on the hotel staff was friendly and helpful. We called before arrival to ask a couple of questions and we made to feel welcome. We arrived early and only had to wait 5 minutes while the room was prepared for us.
I have to think hard to recall a downside other than the pricey nature of a big-city tourist hotel (room taxes may be a surprise when you check out). A refrigerator would be welcome, too.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2012

For a quick weekend visit to the Washington DC area, my sister and I chose to stay at the Hampton Inn Alexandria Old Town mainly for the location, and because of favorable past experiences with other Hampton Inns. The proximity to the King Street Metro station and the fact that it was on the King Street Trolley line were huge plusses for us. Unfortunately, due to circumstances, we ended up only used the Metro once and didn't use the KS Trolley at all. But the one time that we did use the Metro, the close proximity to the hotel was very much appreciated after a long day, and lots of walking, in DC!

The hotel building itself is obviously older, and did have a bit of old hotel mustiness in the hallways. However, our room was not musty at all. We had a room with 2 queen beds on the 6th floor (top floor) and it was clean, comfortable and extremely quiet. The mattresses weren't anything exceptional, but we slept fine on them... no complaints. The pillows were really nice, tho! The bathroom was very clean. We didn't use their toiletries, so no comment on that.

Both mornings we had to leave the hotel really early, so we didn't take advantage of the complimentary breakfast, so can't comment on that either. They offer "On the Run Breakfast Bags", if you don't have time to sit and eat. It was comprised of a bottle of water, a Special K bar, a packaged blueberry muffin, a little box of mints, and an apple.

The staff was friendly and helpful, recommending restaurants in the area that we appreciated. We had dinner our first night at The Fish Market, which is down in the heart of Old Town. It was extremely busy, a bit noisy and our original waiter was a little snotty. But our meal was excellent, so was worth the hassle! Their Neptune's Salad was unusual and delicious. Then our second night, we were exhausted after a full day in DC, and Joe Theismann's sports bar/restaurant, just a block away from the hotel was a great choice. It has a warm, comfortable ambiance, TVs everywhere, great cocktails, and excellent food. We both ordered their crab cake sandwich, and the crab cake was the best I've ever had! Very, very good, and a great place to relax after a busy day.

We had originally planned to take the Metro back to the airport but again, due to circumstances, we chose to take a taxi. The total fare (not inc tip) was just over $17 to Reagan National Airport. Not too bad!

I would definitely stay here again, in hopes that we would be able to use the Metro and the King Street Trolley! The Hampton Inn Old Town is a comfortable place to stay, and you really can't beat the location.

Room Tip: 6th floor (top floor) was extremely quiet
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family