“Hampton Inn - always good choice”

Hampton Inn Alexandria - Old Town/King Street Metro
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Wheeling, Illinois
“Hampton Inn - always good choice”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Needed a room in Alexandria for one night. Had a business meeting.
We planned to arrive Sunday night and have diinner. Plans got messed up when our 5:15 American Airlines flight didn't take off from Chicago until 7:15pm

Arrived at the Hampton at 9:30pm ....places to eat were closed. The fellow at the desk apologized (not his fault) and suggested they had some food in the cooler.
I purchased a Chicken Pot Pie which I heated in the microwave in the room. It was enough to hold me over until morning.

Breakfast was fine. Nothing special ...scrambled eggs, sausage patties, good blue berry muffin, bagels and toast. Enough to get the day started.

Room was clean, TV worked perfectly. Hampton Inn is a great go to hotel. I've never been disappointed. When we called for the shuttle from the airport, we were told it would take ablut 3/4 of an hour. They were taking a couple of guests to locations. I asked what it would cost for a taxi ...about $20. No problem, we took a cab. The long taxi line was orderly and moved quickly. The fare was $21.00 with tip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Mason, Ohio
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I chose the Hampton Inn because of it's easy accessibility to the metro and it's free wifi and breakfast. What a mistake. When we arrived, there was no parking available at the door so we had to PAY to park down the street and walk back up to the lobby just to check in. Though it's not really something that could be easily corrected, the parking garage was extremely tight and difficult to find. When we arrived in our room, we had to squeeze by maintenance workers who had a dresser and mattress in the hall next to our room. The room was very hot and dated. And why do so many hotels believe people like FLAT pillows?! Drives me crazy! The location was very close to the metro but 16 blocks from where we wanted to be most of the time--the nightlife/restaurants close to the river. Thank goodness there was a free Old Town shuttle, but unfortunately, it stopped running around 10:15-10:30 every night--just when the bands were starting to play in the restaurants. So we had to walk back each night--16 blocks remember. The breakfast was terrible. The eggs tasted completely artificial and the sausage was greasy. On the final day, we wanted to eat breakfast prior to our long drive home--nothing available but carbs--just bisquits and gravy along with hash browns for the hot section choices. We chose to walk across the street and pay for our breakfast elsewhere. My fault for choosing this hotel, but I don't think I'll ever make that mistake again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cmwncgirl
California
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I chose a Hampton Inn instead of the Hilton across the street due to TWO THINGS: Free Wi-fi in the rooms AND the complimentary breakfast. This hotel's staff was very friendly and accommodating. Rooms clean, beds comfy, housekeeping service very good. When the room's hairdryer broke, the manager immediately began searching for a new one. Hotel is across the street from Metro station. Their fitness room is teeny-tiny, but Hampton Inn customers can use the Hilton's fitness room across the street for free (another plus). Hotel is near shopping in Old Town Alexandria. Very quaint. Many restaurants nearby. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Bring your own hairdryer. The hotel's portable dryers often do not work well.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
biztraveler201
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I was only here for one night. I did have a great customer service experience at the desk on my way in and out. Very nice, punctual, cordial, seemed knowledgable about the area (above and beyond the average Hampton). The room was tired. The carpet was worn, two of the lights were out and the hot water took forever to get to the tap. The bed was nice, which was most of what I was concerned with at the time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
New York, USA
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This is a terrific option if you're traveling into DC for business or pleasure. It's a block away from the Metro on a very clean, quiet street. Plus, there are plenty of shops and restaurants within a mile. There is also a free trolley traveling up and down King Street, which is handy for those hot days. Rooms were spacious, clean, and quite comfortable. Also, Free Internet access was relatively speedy compared to other hotels.

Room Tip: Stay away from the second floor, as you'll be on the same level as the swimming pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

This a great hotel. It is very clean and the beds are comfortable. The breakfast is good and the even have little " on the go breakfast bags" that were great when we left at 5 am before the breakfast was available. The location is perfect being close to the metro and use of free trolley. Good shopping on King Street too for those that enjoy shopping, Gap outlet etc. I thought the parking garage was fine. We were worried about our storage compartment on our roof but it made the 7 foot, 4 inch clearance. Staff was also very friendly.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Adeline752
New Jersey
Reviewed July 26, 2012

When I have an option I pick the Hampton Inn for my business and leisure travel.

This was my first stay at the Old Town location and I couldn't have been happier.

As I was traveling back and forth to DC, the proximity to a Metro station was a definite plus.

The hotel blended so well into the surrounding architecture that I walked right by it without noticing.

Everyone I came in contact with went out of their way to that my stay was enjoyable.

If you coming to Alexandria, or DC for that matter, you won't go wrong making this hotel your home base.

• Stayed July 2012