“2nd TIme Was Not The Charm”

Hampton Inn Alexandria - Old Town/King Street Metro
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Stayed at this Hampton a couple years ago when visiting DC, so when my husband and I decided to go see a Capitals game we thought we would stay there again. The location is great, right on King Street - great shops and places to eat all within walking distance. Plus it is just across the street from the Blue and Yellow Metro lines.
Unfortunately this time the room wasn't so great. We had reserved a king bed but got two doubles - and I thought oh well - it will be fine. But the beds were hard - really really uncomfortable - and the room had a light smell - a sort of sickening sweet smell.
It was not horrid - and we had so many things planned outside the room - we just made a mental note that we wont be back here after this and dealt with it.
There are two other hotels close by the Hilton and the Embassy Suites - will try one of these or someplace else next time.
NOTE: Breakfast was still okay with enough choices for you to find something and the staff was friendly.

Room Tip: See if you can check it out before you take the key
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SightSee-ers

Reviewed October 18, 2011

Stayed there overnight during the weekend of Sep 11, 2011.
The hotel is right on a busy street which made check in a bit cumbersome. There was no roll up drop off point per se, more like a few "10 minute only" parking spaces in front. This was the biggest hassle. Apart from that, everything else was great. It's a well maintained facility. Very compact, but has a nice feel to it. Check in was quick. I showed my ID and credit card, asked for parking to be added and I was handed my key card. Customer service was courteous and friendly. We stayed on an upper floor away fr the elevators. It was quiet , a bit tight for me, my wife and 7 yr old, but not uncomfortable. Everything in the room was/is new and we were able to relax quickly after a long car trip.
FOOD: Lots of restaurants all over both chain (ex: Five Guys) and local merchant (ex: Hard Times Cafe). For practicality, we walked a few blocks to Whole Foods and were fully satisfied with what they had to offer. There is a Dunkin Donuts next door for breakfast. However, the breakfast at the Hampton Inn is sufficient and of decent quality to start your day.
TRANSPORTATION: Metro station was a 5 minute walk. Buses abound. My suggestion is park the car and go explore.
OTHER HOTELS: Marriott, Embassy Suites, and a few other hotels are within earshot, but for the price and location this Hampton Inn is worth your consideration.
SUMMARY: This will be our go-to place for staying when visiting the DC area (and not wanting to go into the mall area).

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank hotdumale
Reviewed October 6, 2011

The Hampton Inn is a block and a half from the Metro. Super easy to get anywhere in DC from here. The staff at this hotel keep the place clean and running smooth.
I'm assuming this is the same for all Hampton Inns, but they only use paper cups and plastic plates and utensils. Also the TV is widescreen, but the signal was 4:3, so it is stretched out. Paid $250/night, about par for other places in the area?

Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank ErikNordheim
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel is steps from restaurants and shops. However if you want to eat or shop a few blocks away and don't feel like walking then you're steps away from the trolley. Hampton always offer great free breakfast and snacks which is a bonus when travelling with kids. I would recommend this hotel and I would highly recommend
a vacation to King St. We only stayed for 2 nights but I could have stayed 2 weeks! Great oysters at Public House, street entertainment on pier at night, unique European stores, and boat tours of DC from the pier too. There's something for everyone!

• Stayed: July 2011
4  Thank NoGrassGrowUnderMyFt
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We've stayed here multiple times over the past five years. While we still had a satisfactory experience, maintenance seems to be slipping. Our room was clean, but the ice machine on our floor didn't work, the television in our room didn't work, and on the elevators were incredibly slow, until they seemed to stop working entirely on the day we were checking out. Also, one evening on the way to dinner, I went by the front desk to report the issues with the television and the ice machine. I had to wait five minutes (no bell) for a clerk to appear so I could ask for help. She did offer me new batteries for the remote, which didn't fix the problem, but I bet the tv still isn't working.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank prchrmom
Reviewed September 5, 2011

My family of five stayed for Labor Day weekend. The free trolley was a godsend! We rode it to dinner down by the marina. It really helps to have a chauffered ride home when you have three babies and a sleepy husband! The free breakfast was a nice touch, as well. Many selections to choose from and even the pickiest of my little ladies was able to fill her belly (smile). The front desk staff was very nice and accomadating. The parking garage is a little tight. We have an SUV so, we had to pray that we didn't hit a wall going in or coming out of the garage. I'm guessing that they're not buliding a new garage anytime soon, so just be prepared to hold your breath while turning the corners. All in all it was a great experience. We plan to come back around Christmas. I hear Old Town is decorated quite nicely. I would give this hotel a five, but on the last day we were there, a trail of ants had made it's way to our room. We didn't have any food in the room, so we're not sure why they had checked in (smile).

Room Tip: Drive the smallest car you have so you can park comfortably. Wear your walking shoes, the sidewalks...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank 15monthsapart
Reviewed August 31, 2011

As you might have guessed, perfect location if you are visiting or have business in Old Town or are familiar with metro. Clean comfortable room outdoor pool. Breakfast was good if not excellent. Every person on staff was extremely courteous and seemed to appreciate my patronage. Elevators were a tad slow.

• Stayed: August 2011