“Seems to be slipping”

Hampton Inn Alexandria - Old Town/King Street Metro
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We've stayed here multiple times over the past five years. While we still had a satisfactory experience, maintenance seems to be slipping. Our room was clean, but the ice machine on our floor didn't work, the television in our room didn't work, and on the elevators were incredibly slow, until they seemed to stop working entirely on the day we were checking out. Also, one evening on the way to dinner, I went by the front desk to report the issues with the television and the ice machine. I had to wait five minutes (no bell) for a clerk to appear so I could ask for help. She did offer me new batteries for the remote, which didn't fix the problem, but I bet the tv still isn't working.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank prchrmom

Reviewed September 5, 2011

My family of five stayed for Labor Day weekend. The free trolley was a godsend! We rode it to dinner down by the marina. It really helps to have a chauffered ride home when you have three babies and a sleepy husband! The free breakfast was a nice touch, as well. Many selections to choose from and even the pickiest of my little ladies was able to fill her belly (smile). The front desk staff was very nice and accomadating. The parking garage is a little tight. We have an SUV so, we had to pray that we didn't hit a wall going in or coming out of the garage. I'm guessing that they're not buliding a new garage anytime soon, so just be prepared to hold your breath while turning the corners. All in all it was a great experience. We plan to come back around Christmas. I hear Old Town is decorated quite nicely. I would give this hotel a five, but on the last day we were there, a trail of ants had made it's way to our room. We didn't have any food in the room, so we're not sure why they had checked in (smile).

Room Tip: Drive the smallest car you have so you can park comfortably. Wear your walking shoes, the sidewalks...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank 15monthsapart
Reviewed August 31, 2011

As you might have guessed, perfect location if you are visiting or have business in Old Town or are familiar with metro. Clean comfortable room outdoor pool. Breakfast was good if not excellent. Every person on staff was extremely courteous and seemed to appreciate my patronage. Elevators were a tad slow.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank AJP1962
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I stayed at this property from 20 August to 22 August 2011, location is very convenient to both the King Street Metrorail station(two blocks west) and since it's on King Street itself, it is just a short walk to the shops and restaurants of Old Town, which I partook of. Bear in mind that when you come here at this time of year, it can get very hot and humid, so be sure to keep hydrated! The only minor fly in the ointment was that the downspout in the shower was starting to come away from the wall a bit, but I mentioned that to the front desk at checkout and they stated it would be taken care of. The complimentary breakfast was substantial and very, very good! I was greeted smilingly by Courtney at check in, and the other staff members were very nice, too! Yes, the elevators were somewhat slow, but that's something I don't usually quibble about.

Room Tip: It can get a bit noisy on the King Street side of the hotel, but for me, that wasn't a problem...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank slaintenh
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We could not have picked a better hotel for our visit to DC. The location was perfect! King Street Metro station is 2 short blocks away. (The Metro is easy to use and there is an attendant always present if you need help figuring out fares/directions.) The King Street shuttle bus runs along the street every 15 minutes and takes you down to the Old Town Restaurant and Shops, so you don't need to worry about parking your car.

We stayed Saturday-Tuesday and found the staff to be very helpful and pleasant. The hotel is very similar to other Hampton Inns we've stayed at in terms of layout and amenities. There is a pool with a lifeguard (outdoor), guest laundry, free wi-fi, and a business center. Breakfast was well stocked with a variety of hot dishes, cereals, breads, and fresh fruit. Breakfast staff (especially Anita) was very helpful and accomodating.

Only negative was that the very small parking garage was filled when we arrived on Saturday, so we had to park on the street. It was actually better for us because the parking garage spaces were very narrow! Street Parking is free in Alexandria on Saturdays and Sundays.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank CentralNJSeashell
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed here with my family for 3 nights in July. I stay at many Hampton Inns and was disappointed with this one. It is an "old style"/not updated HI and has several issues. First, the elevators are extremely slow and there were always guests waiting (and complaining). Second the air conditioner in the room did not work well - it was noisy and did not cool properly. Third, the electricity went out the day we were checking out and so we packed in the dark and heat. Fortunately, it came back before we had to lug our luggage down 6 flights of stairs to the parking garage. That being said, it was clean and the breakfast was standard HI fare. If it is important to be near the metro stop and you do not mind waiting for the elevator or don't need a/c, it is an OK choice.

Room Tip: lower floor so you can use the stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank susanbpr
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed in this hotel during a family vacation to Washington, D.C. It's very convenient to the Metro (just a 2 block walk), there are loads of quaint shops & great restaurants, a wonderful waterfront area, and the free trolley which takes you up and down King Street. The hotel staff was very friendly and great with our children. Breakfast every morning was excellent ... far better than I anticipated (a different hot choice each morning, including cheese omelets, scrambled eggs, french toast sticks, etc., in addition to regular items such as waffles, muffins, donuts, fresh fruit, bagels, and cereal). We got one of the suites for our family of 4 and it worked out beautifully -- the kids slept on the pullout couch in the living area of the suite, so my husband and I didn't have to go to bed early each night. The only "negative" to our visit was that 2 out of the 3 nights we went down to the pool, they were no pool towels available. If we ever visit the area again (which I'd love to do!), we'd definitely stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family